E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Solution to a month long problem.. Thanks Active Autowerke

09-01-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Solution to a month long problem.. Thanks Active Autowerke

Well I just got back down to Boca Raton, Fla after making the trek from Long Island, Ny. For the past month or so I have been working out a turbo Back exhaust system and trying to make it run well with a software. Unlike some other people on this board I was unable to make Catless DPs, and Free flow exhaust work with Procede. It was just not happening and there was no solution to be found. I contacted the guys at Vishnu, as did my tuning shop, they could not help us besides telling us that 1.47 should work and if it didnt than the panacea LBT map would work. Neither did. It has been months since an exhaust map was supposed to be released. It has been almost as long that all of us have been waiting for V2. Besides a dyno sheet, I have very little to go on that an Exhaust map is coming and even less that V2 even exists.

So in response to this dead end. I switched to active autowerke's software. After 3 days of using their software I hadn't recieved a limp mode. It was the longest it had been in over a month since that had happened. Well now came the true test. I would be making the drive to Florida and the car would be running nearly non stop for the next 18 or so hours. The car ran extremely well. I didn't get a single limp mode and besides a little hesitation in the middle of acceleration all was good.

Ive been in FL for almost a week now and I stopped by AA in Miami to see if I could get this hesitation smoothed out. They first did a full once over on the car to make sure all the welds on the exhaust were good and o2 sensors placed properly and that the Piggyback was properly installed. Everything looked good they said. (Thanks RPMNorth) Then the car was put up on the dyno and given a check up. It is an amazing thing to see your car on the dyno. Standing there while it is run all the way to redline can make your heart skip a beat. So many things can go wrong but luckily everything turned out alright. Well after the re tune I took the car for a spin with one of the guys and did a little bit more fine tuning. This car is an absolute monster. The DPs make these tiny turbos spool TOO fast and they found it was causing the the boost to spike. With some proper tuning the car is running like it never has before.

On a side note, I got a chance to check out their intercooler first hand. All i got to look at was a Prototype and it was enough. The air no longer has any where to go but into that I/C. The shroud they developed was ingenius and when you have to see it for yourself to get a real feeling. Pictures dont do it justice. They worked on it every minute i was there starting at 9 am and were still working on it till i left the shop at 2. This I/C has the heart and soul of each of those fabricators in that shop. You can see it really means a lot to them. It's going to be a lot like their BOV extremely easy to install with what one could only assume great results.

I want to thank all the guys at Active Autowerke for being extremely patient and courteous. They were really helpful and had so much knowledge about these cars. I did my best to soak up as much information as I could. I hope to put the car on a dyno jet in the next week or so and get some real #s. I will post some videos of the exhaust note and everything else in a couple days.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
mesier1111
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe, titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
The DPs make these tiny turbos spool TOO fast and they found it was causing the the boost to spike. With some proper tuning the car is running like it never has before.

I want to thank all the guys at Active Autowerke for being extremely patient and courteous. They were really helpful and had so much knowledge about these cars. I did my best to soak up as much information as I could. I hope to put the car on a dyno jet in the next week or so and get some real #s. I will post some videos of the exhaust note and everything else in a couple days.
Is this possible? How big are your wheels that they caused this to happen? I have not once ever heard anyone with larger aftermarket wheels no matter how light or big they were affect the spooling of the turbos.......please explain
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

Hmmm... DPs are Downpipes... Ultimate Racing Catless DP's... Don't have a clue where you would get wheels out of anything i have said.. and the quote you took from what i did say has absolutely nothing to do with what you said.. I am completely baffled by your response.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Anytime you can actually visit the shop and get a custom tune, you are going to come out ahead. Can't wait to see the dyno sheets!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
ljg335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi LCI

I think he read it as DPE
2002 325i/2007 335i/2004.5 A41.8T
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

well I have to ask, since your car was on the dyno....what did you put down??
      09-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #7
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

used the dyno to read afrs and psi.. and to not have to run the car on the street while tuning. It was a mustang dyno and wasn't even interested in looking at the numbers. I will be going to a dyno jet soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Sounds great. Love the write up and thanks for taking time out and telling us every detail. Once the dyno jet sheet is ran please post.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

those boost spikes were to be expected, which is exactly why if you offer an ecu tuning producct like that you sure as shit better be available to tune it or offer the user the chance to tune it, otherwise you better not say that it will work w/ xxxx and xxxx mod

A+ for aa, wish i had taken an offer i got to get there stuff at cost
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Vishnu should address this asap. More and more people are getting the downpipes and most run proceed already. This should not be an issue in the very near future, I am sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #11
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodrive View Post
Vishnu should address this asap. More and more people are getting the downpipes and most run proceed already. This should not be an issue in the very near future, I am sure.
he is, or it seems like he is in v2, we will have limited control over adjusting the tune
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
Thomasz126
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Great write up.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #13
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
Anytime you can actually visit the shop and get a custom tune, you are going to come out ahead. Can't wait to see the dyno sheets!

+1

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 08:03 AM   #14
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

working on posting some Vids of the exhaust as we speak. If any other 335 owners want to get in on a Dyno Day and you live in South Florida throw me a PM i will set it up. It would be cool to have a couple other 335s. I would really appreciate a Procede'd 335 that way i can see if i took a step forward. My butt tells me it was more like a leap forward.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #15
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nice meeting you. I am happy you had a good time down here. Enjoy the car and be safe.

If you guys need a dynojet for your dyno day let me know and Ill put you guys in touch with a shop.
Appreciate 0