E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Surging with tune in 2nd gear but not when on map 0

01-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
venom3469
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW/R 6MT 335i, YZF-R6.

Surging with tune in 2nd gear but not when on map 0

Off the top of anyone's head is this something wrong with the tune (Procede) or could it be HPFP or spark plugs issue. My warranty is running out very soon so if something needs to be replaced...now would be the time. So if anyone's had any similar issues what did you do to resolve them.

Thanks,
Josh
      01-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom3469 View Post
Off the top of anyone's head is this something wrong with the tune (Procede) or could it be HPFP or spark plugs issue. My warranty is running out very soon so if something needs to be replaced...now would be the time. So if anyone's had any similar issues what did you do to resolve them.

Thanks,
Josh
im not even sure what your problem is?

define struggling? like the car is struggling or are you a black uneducated male struggling to get into college type of struggling.

also, its probably gonna blow up.
      01-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

^ Oh My lol
I think he said suging and not struggling though.

Is there a CEL?
Perhaps you have a boost leak?
Maybe a misfire?

Do the spark plugs have over 25,000 miles? (usually misfires).

Have you tried Wide Open Throttle for over 3 seconds? Check engine light?

Other mods?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post

define struggling? like the car is struggling or are you a black uneducated male struggling to get into college type of struggling.

More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
venom3469
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90
Quote:

Thanks,
Josh

Reading must not be your strong suit. I said, "Surging"...thanks for your two cents though.

To the people actually trying to help... I have no other mods and my car did just hit 26K so hopefully it is just spark plugs. Should I just replace them with the same type or is there a better recommended type with running mods.
      01-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

Quote:
Reading must not be your strong suit. I said, "Surging"...thanks for your two cents though.

To the people actually trying to help... I have no other mods and my car did just hit 26K so hopefully it is just spark plugs. Should I just replace them with the same type or is there a better recommended type with running mods.
searching must not be your strong suit.

but im happy that you can "edit". good for you.

Wait, you know what, let me help you.
      01-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
venom3469
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
searching must not be your strong suit.

but im happy that you can "edit". good for you.

Wait, you know what, let me help you.
See I have done some searching that's how I came up with the possibilities of it being a HPFP or simply spark plugs. What I did find was people switching it to map 0 to see if it would quit and they said it did but that they were switching tunes anyway and seeing if that would help.

So some people say HPFP and some say spark plugs but I cant find what people did without changing there tune to fix the issue.

To be safe I'll probably go in and change both before my warranty goes out for the HPFP.

But thanks for trolling.
      01-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
See I have done some searching that's how I came up with the possibilities of it being a HPFP or simply spark plugs. What I did find was people switching it to map 0 to see if it would quit and they said it did but that they were switching tunes anyway and seeing if that would help.

So some people say HPFP and some say spark plugs but I cant find what people did without changing there tune to fix the issue.

To be safe I'll probably go in and change both before my warranty goes out for the HPFP.

But thanks for trolling.
Dare I say valve cleaning?

At around 26k I had misfires and surging like you stated, got my valves cleaned and the problem went away.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
venom3469
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc
Quote:

But thanks for trolling.
Dare I say valve cleaning?

At around 26k I had misfires and surging like you stated, got my valves cleaned and the problem went away.
Thanks for the help! I'll definitely look into that.
      01-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

I'll actually provide some help. Did it feel like the car was misfiring and were there any misfire codes? If you think it might be misfiring I would do some tests to see what it could be first. This will only work if you get a code but lets say you get a cylinder 2 misfire code. Take off the cover and swap the cylinder 2 coil pack with the cylinder 3 coil pack. Go for a drive and when you get another code check which cylinder it is. If it's still cylinder 2 you've narrowed it down to either spark plugs or injectors, but if it follows the coil pack and goes to cylinder 3 you know it's a coil.

If you get codes I would definitely do this since it can save you money from just throwing parts at it. A new coil pack is somewhere around $60 I believe and spark plugs are even cheaper so you definitely want to hope for that. If not it will be an injector which is around $150 and requires some coding after install. Hope this helps although it's meaningless if you're not getting misfires
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

A datalog would probably be helpful.