E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E93 - 10 days old and probs already ;(

06-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
E93 - 10 days old and probs already ;(

Hi guys - just thought I would share a few probs on my 10 day old E93 vert - 325i M sport - curious to see if others have experienced anything similar??

Fault 1 - front wing alignment - the front nearside wing is ill fitting - the wheel arch line does not meet with the bumper and the swage line that runs along the door 'drops' when it meets the wing.

Fault 2 - When I unlock the car and open the door, the front window randomly winds down! When I get in and shut the door the window winds back up again - if a passenger gets in theirs does the same?? only happens now and again tho??

Fault 3- there has been a strange whining type noise coming from the engine - very noticeable when driving slowly (say on a car park) in 2nd - sounds almost like a fan belt or similar but not as bad

my friend works for a beemer stealer and was gonna take it in for these faults tomorrow but.......

I have been down to Ascot in the car today (150 mile round journey - 90% m'way) - was really looking forward to giving it a proper outing - started journey at 400 miles - after about 50 miles on the m'way the steering started feeling very strange - the car was not self centreing at all - if I turned the wheel left it would 'stick' there until I corrected it back and then it would stick there also - I pulled off at the services and as soon as I hit the roundabout all was well again (it seems working the steering makes the fault disappear?) - back on the m'way within a few miles fault re-appears. Same problem most of the way home

Mate from stealer has now recommended that he not take it in tomorrow (he needs to go up 2 m'way junctions!!) and that I call out BMW assist to get a tech out.

I will keep u guys informed but so far I am not impressed with possible reliability - car looks and drives great otherwise but these faults kinda take the shine off a little.

Anyone had similar probs??

Paul
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 12:59 AM   #2
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear about your issues.

Regarding fault 2, if you "double-click" the open button on the fob the window goes down about 3/4 of the way when you open the door, then backup when you close the door. My e92 does this - the salesperson said it was a useful feature for getting past the wide windows when getting in the car in tight spaces, especially in carparks.

I think you should be able to get the other issues resolved quite easily.

Gordon.
      06-20-2007, 03:11 AM   #3
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Sorry to hear that mate. You spend a fortune on a beautiful car and this happens... Chin up, it will soon be fixed!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 06:26 AM   #4
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear about your issues.

Regarding fault 2, if you "double-click" the open button on the fob the window goes down about 3/4 of the way when you open the door, then backup when you close the door. My e92 does this - the salesperson said it was a useful feature for getting past the wide windows when getting in the car in tight spaces, especially in carparks.

I think you should be able to get the other issues resolved quite easily.

Gordon.
My vert windows come down approx 10mm to allow the door to open each and everytime. Our glass goes into the roof to seal and needs to drop on opening.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
rjs
Major
England
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Gordon.
I didn't know that now i'll just do one click if it's raining thanks

E93 M3
| Azurite Black | Extended Bamboo Leather | Piano Black Trim | 19" 220M Wheels | Shadowline Trim | Edition Grills
M DCT | HDD iDrive | EDC | Bluetooth | Front & Rear PDC | Heated Seats | DAB Radio | Hi-Fi Speakers | USB Audio | SmartTOP
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 07:09 AM   #6
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbm View Post
My vert windows come down approx 10mm to allow the door to open each and everytime. Our glass goes into the roof to seal and needs to drop on opening.
Same as the E92, Z4, MINI etc etc. The double-click feature on the fob basically drops the window pretty much all the way down, as I said which is suppose to make it easier getting into the car when you are in a tight space.

G.

Last edited by Z4 Beemer; 06-20-2007 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: wee typo
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 07:18 AM   #7
miopyk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 987 Boxster & R56 Cooper S

Apart from the faults I hope you're enjoying your car.

In answer to your specific points -

Fault 1 - that's just poor workmanship, get down the dealer and tell them to sort it out.

Fault 2 - I have this as well but haven't really thoght about it so like others have said I think this is a standard "feature".

Fault 3 - I think I have this as well and my guess was that it was the electric power steering. My wife has a mini and it makes a similar sound but more pronounced. I also think I've had a bit of the steering issue you describe but again I think this might be trait of the electric version as the assistance varies with speed and it feels like sometimes it gets caught out with sudden changes in direction at speed.

Let us know how you get on with the dealer.

Mioipyk
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Issues and 'some' results....

My mate who works at the dealer did not fancy driving the car with the sterring fault so called out BM assistance who came out this morning - very nice guy who was very knowledgable - drove the car 30-40 miles on the m'way and guess what - fault was not evident!!

In the end he drove me to the dealer and it is in there now!

I can report on some feedback however:

Fault 1 - dealer says they will look at wing - see what it is like when it comes back out

fault 2 - Windows - dealer said he had not heard of this before and did not even suggest the double click feature may be the cause - I will try this later but could be perfectly feasible cos my previous car (Audi A4) had to have a doubole click to open the rest of the car (1st click only did drivers door) - I am trying to get out of the double clicking habit but I know I keep doing it!!

Fault 3 - noise from engine - Not an issue apparently - the tech who came out said he has had loads of queeries about this but it is down to the new high pressure piezo injectors - they are just plain noisy! Nothing can be done about it - just the way they are!!

Fault 4 - Steering - we went and drove the car on a long test (1st vert the tech had driven and he was VERY impressed with the lack of scuttle shake and the responsiveness of the 3.0 litre engine - even tho it is the lowly 325i lol). He recommeded we take it to the garage for them to check it out mechanically (steering/ball joints etc..) or any fouling. Dealer commented he had sold a one series last friday and the cust returned on monday with exactly the same fault. They have raised a tech issue with BMW UK and they have reported 'reported issues with this fault on certain 1 and 3 series models) - the note takes up to 48 hours for a response so I am off to pick her up and await the dealers response over the next xouple of days.

If anyone out there has experienced a similar steerinf fault then I recommend you get it into the dealer - may even end up asa recall??

Keep you all posted

Paul
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 03:23 AM   #9
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
My mate who works at the dealer did not fancy driving the car with the sterring fault so called out BM assistance who came out this morning - very nice guy who was very knowledgable - drove the car 30-40 miles on the m'way and guess what - fault was not evident!!

In the end he drove me to the dealer and it is in there now!

I can report on some feedback however:

Fault 1 - dealer says they will look at wing - see what it is like when it comes back out

fault 2 - Windows - dealer said he had not heard of this before and did not even suggest the double click feature may be the cause - I will try this later but could be perfectly feasible cos my previous car (Audi A4) had to have a doubole click to open the rest of the car (1st click only did drivers door) - I am trying to get out of the double clicking habit but I know I keep doing it!!

Fault 3 - noise from engine - Not an issue apparently - the tech who came out said he has had loads of queeries about this but it is down to the new high pressure piezo injectors - they are just plain noisy! Nothing can be done about it - just the way they are!!

Fault 4 - Steering - we went and drove the car on a long test (1st vert the tech had driven and he was VERY impressed with the lack of scuttle shake and the responsiveness of the 3.0 litre engine - even tho it is the lowly 325i lol). He recommeded we take it to the garage for them to check it out mechanically (steering/ball joints etc..) or any fouling. Dealer commented he had sold a one series last friday and the cust returned on monday with exactly the same fault. They have raised a tech issue with BMW UK and they have reported 'reported issues with this fault on certain 1 and 3 series models) - the note takes up to 48 hours for a response so I am off to pick her up and await the dealers response over the next xouple of days.

If anyone out there has experienced a similar steerinf fault then I recommend you get it into the dealer - may even end up asa recall??

Keep you all posted

Paul
I believe the 325 has electric powered steering, my previous Z4 had it and would go sticky in hot weather (just felt as though it needed a bit more assistance) well known fault on Z4 and BMW changed a lot of steering racks. My 325 vert at present has no problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
I think the window dropping will be morely for stabilising air pressure in the car.

Does the window open slightly when you close the door as well?

I've owned a convertible before - non BMW the seals are extremely expensive to replace so if its to aid the door opening then it will most likely be to ease the pressure on the seals.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan View Post
I think the window dropping will be morely for stabilising air pressure in the car.

Does the window open slightly when you close the door as well?

I've owned a convertible before - non BMW the seals are extremely expensive to replace so if its to aid the door opening then it will most likely be to ease the pressure on the seals.
have sussed the windows now - I have a habit (from my previous Audi A4) of clicking the unlock button twice - if you do this the window drops down 3/4 of the way to aid getting in and out in tight spaces where you can not open the door far - one click to unlock ensures this does not happen (unless of course you want it to!!) - The window drops a few mm as soon as the handle is operated and the window winds back up once the door is shut - this is just so the glass does not foul on the window seal.

cheers guys
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 12:27 AM   #12
Trigger2007
E93 320i M Sport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport Convertible

wow there does seem to be some issues with the new cars....

I'm taking delivery of mine next friday and I am preying that it is okay!!

BMW E93 320i M Sport - Black Sapphire / Coral Red
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 12:35 PM   #13
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

hmmm... I have a 320d and i must admit I'm a bit spooked by the non-centering steering. Well, it does self-centre, but the final few degrees it just sticks there (or seems to). I think I've kinda got used to it (my old Renault Lagunas didn't quite centre) but will be raising it with the the dealer.

I can also hear the power steering pump when on full-lock: this is my fourth Bimmer and never, ever, heard that before; so will be interested to hear what they say about it.
Appreciate 0