E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > USB under armrest

02-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Metallic Grey M Sport

USB under armrest

I have a USB in my glovebox and not under the armrest. I believe the difference is the one under the armrest allows you to connect a USB stick and listen to music?

If thats correct is it possible for me to buy this component and install it myself, if so where from and how do i go about installing?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Burt25
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBMW View Post
I have a USB in my glovebox and not under the armrest. I believe the difference is the one under the armrest allows you to connect a USB stick and listen to music?

If thats correct is it possible for me to buy this component and install it myself, if so where from and how do i go about installing?

Thanks
I believe the glove box USB socket is a dealer-fitted option for cars which haven't had USB interface fitted as a factory option. You may be able to get the parts for fitting in the arm rest, but would probably need a different armrest compartment and you would need to have the dealer programme it to the ECU for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

ooo, OP I don't mean to hi-jack your thread but I had a question regarding the USB port too. Does it allow you to play music directly from a flash stick attached to it or do you have to copy the files over to the HDD ( assuming you have a new style iDrive)?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Burt25
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
ooo, OP I don't mean to hi-jack your thread but I had a question regarding the USB port too. Does it allow you to play music directly from a flash stick attached to it or do you have to copy the files over to the HDD ( assuming you have a new style iDrive)?
I believe the arm rest version will play from a memory stick- not sure about the glovebox one though
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The one in the glove box allows you to copy the music from a USB but i think only music that has been exported to the USB from the HDD in the first place. You cant play music from it (well ive tried and it didnt work)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
a1reader
Evolve tuned...
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

The USB port in the glove box is available on all LCI iDrive vehicles, it is designed to allow copying of your music collection from a USB stick into the car's HDD music partition. The USB port under the armrest is an option (6FL) and although it is available as a retrofit the cost is HUGE (dealer quoted £1200 to retrofit to 09 X5). The USB in the glove box does not allow you to play music directly from USB sticks/drives as you need the one under the armrest for that. Its such a shame its not standard as it seems quite essential these days and its only £200 if ordered from the factory. I think most people would be happy to pay £200 more if this option was standard on BMWs as almost everyone I know has a digital music collection of some sort.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
The one in the glove box allows you to copy the music from a USB but i think only music that has been exported to the USB from the HDD in the first place. You cant play music from it (well ive tried and it didnt work)
It does on mine, perhaps it's changed
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911.2 S4

Garage List
I originally has this on my spec but at the last moment I took it out in favour of the sliding arm rest. Which for the money is far more useful (if I did not have this my elbow would not be supported, a must have short arms!)

I was told that that I could use the USB in the glove box for my Ipod. This is true but only for import / export of music.

My set up is this I put all the music on to my Ipod and the import the whole lot. I have removed all the music that had I originally copied from CDs. I use the Search feature (IDrive) to select my music that I want. I had hoped that I could use my playlists but no this does not work which is a bit a disappointment. So with this set up its a bit like the ipod. I'm not sure spending the extra £200 for the USB connection in the arm rest would give me that what I don't have now, or put it another way, what I am missing is worth £200?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
a1reader
Evolve tuned...
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Sport View Post
I originally has this on my spec but at the last moment I took it out in favour of the sliding arm rest. Which for the money is far more useful (if I did not have this my elbow would not be supported, a must have short arms!)

I was told that that I could use the USB in the glove box for my Ipod. This is true but only for import / export of music.

My set up is this I put all the music on to my Ipod and the import the whole lot. I have removed all the music that had I originally copied from CDs. I use the Search feature (IDrive) to select my music that I want. I had hoped that I could use my playlists but no this does not work which is a bit a disappointment. So with this set up its a bit like the ipod. I'm not sure spending the extra £200 for the USB connection in the arm rest would give me that what I don't have now, or put it another way, what I am missing is worth £200?
What you are missing is the ability to have a fully up to date music library appropriately sorted into playlists just by updating your iPod. therefore, if you only update your music library twice a year then this option is a waste of your time, however, if like me you tend to have different mixes all the time (I get bored of the same tunes quickly) then this option is invaluable. In fact along with option 6NF (Music phone control) these two are some of my favourite options on the car, and I really miss them on our X5
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
It does on mine, perhaps it's changed
Ill have to double check on mine as im sure it didnt unless i was so excited i missed the obvious actions to take .
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Quote:
Ill have to double check on mine as im sure it didnt unless i was so excited i missed the obvious actions to take .

I've never heard anyone say you can play direct from the glove box before.

I agree that 6FL should be standard because although the built in HDD is OK, the capacity isn't massive and you can't control an IPOD like has been mentioned.

I have a 32GB stick in the armrest and that does the job well as it's quick and easy to add new music too - no import process needed - just plug and play.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
I have a 32GB stick in the armrest and that does the job well as it's quick and easy to add new music too - no import process needed - just plug and play.
Is it easy to navigate? Does your music have to be stored in a particular directory structure or does the car just see the folders and tracks and you can navigate your way through them?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Is it easy to navigate? Does your music have to be stored in a particular directory structure or does the car just see the folders and tracks and you can navigate your way through them?
Both actually (LCI Idrive)

Stick folders containing the music on the stick... any structure.

When you turn the car on you have two options.

1. Navigate the file folder structure to find your song - this is immediately available

2. Wait for the car to index the stick (can take 2 mins for 15bg of music) after which you can choose from Album, Artist etc. Of course, your tags need to be up to date using this method.

It's a brilliant system

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

1. Navigate the file folder structure to find your song - this is immediately available

2. Wait for the car to index the stick (can take 2 mins for 15bg of music) after which you can choose from Album, Artist etc. Of course, your tags need to be up to date using this method.

It's a brilliant system
Schaaaaaaaveeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
richd
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp Pack

Quote:

It's a brilliant system
Whilst I have the Ipod cable and CD Changer based system in my 335d the missus has the 6FL in her 1 series, and a USB stick full of songs. However, we both use playlists extensively, both on the home systems and also ipods/iphones. Is there any way you can use playlists with a USB stick? Does the system support any sort of playlist file format? Or is there no way of doing this at all with a USB stick?

Thanks
      02-14-2010, 05:29 AM   #16
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
yes the glovebox one is purely for import / export to the onboard HD.

The arm one can play music from USB stick of some USB HDs.

Use mediamonkey to manage sycing your tunes and it works superbly. Note that not all USB sticks are equal, its worth paying extra to get a fast one.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 05:58 AM   #17
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I have the 6FL option in the armrest and when connected to an ipod via the BMW split cable it allows you to scroll through your ipod on the i drive screen- it is very fast and you can find any song/album on your ipod in seconds.... i would never order another BMW without it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #18
richd
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by richd View Post
Does the system support any sort of playlist file format? Or is there no way of doing this at all with a USB stick?

Thanks
To answer my own question, when the system reads the USB stick it looks like it checks for all .m3u playlist files and makes them all available on the first option "List", so it seems I have to re-create these outside i-tunes if I want to manage playlists, or by the sounds of it, but yet another cable so I can read directly from an ipod.
      02-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #19
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Lol everyone got off topic about the OP post. I kind of want to know the same thing, can a USB input be added to the armrest. I have an 09 335 i-drive and would like to know if this is feasible.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #20
Pyth_UK
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Lol everyone got off topic about the OP post. I kind of want to know the same thing, can a USB input be added to the armrest. I have an 09 335 i-drive and would like to know if this is feasible.

Thanks
It does depend on the exact spec but I'm sure a retrofit kit would be available for your car (albeit on the pricey side). It would have to be dealer fit as it would involve adding a new ECU on the MOST ring and programming/encoding the whole vehicle to add the retrofit. The best way to find out is call your local dealer with chassis number and ask which kits are available. A dealer search by chassis number is the only certain way of finding if there is a kit.

On a side note, I see there is confusion with some over the USB sockets. The glovebox USB is only for uploading to and downloading music from the hard drive. Not one current model plays music through that socket. If the vehicle has business nav (606) then the glovebox socket can also be used for updating the nav version (with a map USB from dealers). The professional nav version is updated through the DVD drive.
Appreciate 0