E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > rear abs sensor

07-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #1
doug4293
Rep
Drives: peugeot306 , gsxr600

rear abs sensor

so I had the abs warning light coming on and off intermittently, today it stayed on so I checked the wheel sensors with ipna and the rear left wasn't getting any signal, I replaced the sensor, and it started to show a speed on ipna, but it wasn't consistent with the other wheel speeds, as soon as I touched the brake the abs pump would kick in, and then abs warning light came back on.

the sensor I used to replace the original is made by intermotor, I took it out and replaced it with the old one so the car is still drivable.

now what I am thinking is :

the new sensor is slightly to long and could be refitted using a small washer between the sensor and hub to space it back a bit from the abs ring, or is the abs ring broken and needing replaced as well as a new sensor below is a pic of the new sensor after it was installed and removed again

I don't think the new sensor is faulty as it gives a speed reading, whereas the original one doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
wallsmk2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

you can probably see if the reluctor ring is badly corroded by shining a torch through the hole and spinning the wheel. I don't think you can inspect them without removing the half shafts. But before that, I would get a new sensor from BMW and try that otherwise you can never rule out the sensor.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
Len_Beach
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Is the old sensor worn on the end? If so its your reluctor ring.

Try swap the sensors from the known working side and see if the fault moves with the sensor.
Appreciate 0