E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Rear View Camera GroupBuy and Install. Double Updated with pictures, pricing, etc)

12-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
1NS0MN1A
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joro2077 View Post
how many people do we have right now including me?

No one has given their deposits but about 8 people have been messaging me showing interest. If you would like to make a down payment and get the ball rolling please pm me.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #24
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdals0213 View Post
No no, no back up camera on my car. I'm sorta okay with just the parking sensors. My mother has it on her x5 and there are some contrast and brightness changers but other than that it's not like 720 or 1080p quality I assure you, but works well even in low lit places. I haven't seen this one in action so it's hard for me to decide whether or not I want it. Maybe after seeing it and possibly trying it in person. Instaall maybe tops 1-2hrs? since it is a PnP
Not expecting HD but I don't want it to be grainy like a Paris Hilton video. Yeah I want to see it in person as well. And I was going by the other thread. Guy said about 3 hours if you know what you're doing.
      12-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #25
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc View Post
Not expecting HD but I don't want it to be grainy like a Paris Hilton video. Yeah I want to see it in person as well. And I was going by the other thread. Guy said about 3 hours if you know what you're doing.
woah.. really? 3 hrs huh.. maybe the vendor can put in some feedback on how long it'll take for this module.

either way, i'm always up to help out on an install such as this.
      12-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #26
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
woah.. really? 3 hrs huh.. maybe the vendor can put in some feedback on how long it'll take for this module.

Yeah I'm a bit hesitant now.

Took this info from the other thread I posted.

"I've got a 2009 335xi and have been through two back-up camera systems, modmynav and bimmer-tech, so I thought it would be helpful to post this head to head comparison. I initially got the modmynav cam almost 2 yrs ago when I bought my car and just switched to bimmer-tech.

Installation:

The modmynav camera system was more complex to install, involving removal of the CIC display monitor as well as glovebox. However the step-by-step instructions were great in guiding the process. The bimmer-tech camera installation involved only taking down the trim, removing the climate control panel and CIC module in addition to installing and wiring the camera.

Coding and CIC integration:

The modmynav camera activation did not require any coding and was activated on installation, whereas the bimmer-tech camera required coding to incorporate the reverse camera into the CIC. What was nice about this integration is that you can control contrast and brightness of the video with i-drive. This was not possible with modmynav camera. Coding was basic and easy to do myself, but help was available online as the man in charge of bimmer-tech was able to make corrections and code via skype and internet connection even though he was on the other side of the world several time zones away.

Other options:

While modmynav's module offers a frontview camera and additional video inputs not offered on the bimmertech, I found that the module was always hot, or 'on,' even when the car was off, causing drain on the battery. The modmynav module also had an advantage of full screen display when using the reverse camera, whereas the one incorporated into CIC had the bird's eye PDC split screen view.

Quality:

When comparing the video quality, I found the modmynav video to be a little grainy, particularly at night. Also, the fitment of the camera of the trunk handle did not clip on, like the OEM trunk handle or the bimmer-tech camera. Rather it was held in place with 3M double-stick foam.

Personally, I prefer the CIC integrated back up camera from bimmer-tech. It feels more OEM which requires basic coding, but some may prefer the option of additional video inputs to play dvds or to have a front facing camera. Modmynav would better suit those needs."

Any updates to this info?
      12-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #27
1NS0MN1A
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc View Post
Yeah I'm a bit hesitant now.

Took this info from the other thread I posted.

"I've got a 2009 335xi and have been through two back-up camera systems, modmynav and bimmer-tech, so I thought it would be helpful to post this head to head comparison. I initially got the modmynav cam almost 2 yrs ago when I bought my car and just switched to bimmer-tech.

Installation:

The modmynav camera system was more complex to install, involving removal of the CIC display monitor as well as glovebox. However the step-by-step instructions were great in guiding the process. The bimmer-tech camera installation involved only taking down the trim, removing the climate control panel and CIC module in addition to installing and wiring the camera.

Coding and CIC integration:

The modmynav camera activation did not require any coding and was activated on installation, whereas the bimmer-tech camera required coding to incorporate the reverse camera into the CIC. What was nice about this integration is that you can control contrast and brightness of the video with i-drive. This was not possible with modmynav camera. Coding was basic and easy to do myself, but help was available online as the man in charge of bimmer-tech was able to make corrections and code via skype and internet connection even though he was on the other side of the world several time zones away.

Other options:

While modmynav's module offers a frontview camera and additional video inputs not offered on the bimmertech, I found that the module was always hot, or 'on,' even when the car was off, causing drain on the battery. The modmynav module also had an advantage of full screen display when using the reverse camera, whereas the one incorporated into CIC had the bird's eye PDC split screen view.

Quality:

When comparing the video quality, I found the modmynav video to be a little grainy, particularly at night. Also, the fitment of the camera of the trunk handle did not clip on, like the OEM trunk handle or the bimmer-tech camera. Rather it was held in place with 3M double-stick foam.

Personally, I prefer the CIC integrated back up camera from bimmer-tech. It feels more OEM which requires basic coding, but some may prefer the option of additional video inputs to play dvds or to have a front facing camera. Modmynav would better suit those needs."

Any updates to this info?
Quote:

http://modmynav.com/diy.html#

Here is the guide. In any case, it does require removal but the guide shows you how to do it, and I have every single tool we would need. It should not be an issue if we follow the guide.

Let's get this project rolling.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #28
1NS0MN1A
Lieutenant
Rep

Looks like I'm on my own for this one.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #29
1NS0MN1A
Lieutenant
Rep

Just bought and installes the cam. Worked perfectly and was VERY simple to install. If you would like the group buy price, I can help you guys out. I can help with install for a small fee (takes about 2 hours)

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #30
SeanE92
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 Jerez Black E92 M3

Still interested, might be doing a CIC retrofit within the next 2 weeks so want to wait before pulling the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:17 AM   #31
1NS0MN1A
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanE92 View Post
Still interested, might be doing a CIC retrofit within the next 2 weeks so want to wait before pulling the trigger.
Just let me know! A bunch of people have showed interest via pm but no one wants to pull the trigger. I feel like once a few people hop on board then it will take off. I can assure you thr wuality is top notch, and Kris is one hell of a vendor!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #32
SeanE92
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 Jerez Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NS0MN1A View Post
Just let me know! A bunch of people have showed interest via pm but no one wants to pull the trigger. I feel like once a few people hop on board then it will take off. I can assure you thr wuality is top notch, and Kris is one hell of a vendor!
Oh yeah, I know modmynav is a great kit. I am just hesitant on buying the wrong one, I pretty much have almost all the parts needed for CIC, just waiting on a couple
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 02:18 AM   #33
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I want a camera for the front bumper so i dont run my lip into parking blocks!
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #34
tturbo335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Le Mans Blue 335i

how does it look at night? ive driven many cars with back up cameras, my favorite will have to be the OEM mercedes GL ones, very clear, even at night it seems like it has some type of night vision to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #35
1NS0MN1A
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
I want a camera for the front bumper so i dont run my lip into parking blocks!
You can add a front camera with this unit, or even side cameras. There are 3 other inputs
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbo335i View Post
how does it look at night? ive driven many cars with back up cameras, my favorite will have to be the OEM mercedes GL ones, very clear, even at night it seems like it has some type of night vision to it.
I will send night pictures soon. It is incredibly visible, as I was on an unlit street yesterday and still saw clearly. My car is limo tinted all around so this kit has saved me.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #36
1NS0MN1A
Lieutenant
Rep

up
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #37
kevinxd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I've talked to both insomnia and Kris (from modmynav) and they have been very quick to respond and helpful.. I'm definitely looking to deposit money soon, let's get this group buy going guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #38
1NS0MN1A
Lieutenant
Rep

No one wants this killer deal?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #39
Gessin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 e92 335 xDrive

I would be interested in just the Multimedia Interface Kit for BMW since I already have a back camera I got for free. Let me know if there is a deal on just that.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #40
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
I'd like to have it but don't want to DIY.

Does anyone know how much a qualified audio/video shop might charge to install it in a 2008 335i E90?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 01:17 AM   #41
Vee2k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI

Any more interest in this? i keep going back and forth on this
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #42
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

I did become interested in this deal, but hongsc's earlier comparison post worries me greatly about how the camera stays hot even when the car is turned off.

My house and work office is only 1.4 miles apart. Not only did my car not get up to charging speed for the alternator, the drive is only within 5 minutes. Thus I have to use the BMW charger to treat the battery every month. The fact that the camera system stays hot, it'll further complicate my problem. I would have gone through with bimmer-tech system, but I certainly don't want to have to deal with coding at all. Any solutions from modmynav about this at all?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #43
Vee2k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI

I ended up buying a alekshop one...will probably install this weekend... I don't think it stays on when the car is off
Appreciate 0