E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Post a picture of your motorcycle

06-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #133
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
Kinda like the 1198 with Termis. 4k is 90 and passing people doesn't require down-shifting.
after i got my bike, someone asked me to compare it to an R1.

i basically said that from 0-100 the XB would come out on top about 90% of the time.

...but anywhere over 110 or 115mph, the R1 would just start walking the XB...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #134
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Guys, whats your views on commuting wear i.e. Leather or textiles?

I presume most, if not all of you live in much sunnier climates than Scotland so this may be a pointless Q. I have my bike test in the coming weeks, and I'm looking to start buying my kit.

However, due to the weather over here I'm torn between buying textiles or a leather two piece.

Leathers look the part and are great protection, where textiles offer the weather protection and also good safety.

Any ideas/suggestions based on experience?
Congrats on your upcoming test and welcome to 2 wheels!

As for leather vs. textiles, I would say if you are starting out riding and it rains a lot, and you cannot buy leathers AND textiles, you should be fine with textiles to start with. I would get a leather suit for more spirited riding, however (which if you're just doing the test and you've not ridden before, is not really a concern at the moment).

I personally believe that in a hard crash at high speed where you slide a lot, leather will be a better protector. In any other "normal" circumstances textiles will hold up fine, though. Make sure whatever you buy has good hard (not soft) armor for knees, shoulders, and elbows - these are the areas that take the biggest beating in a crash.

So if you are going to be Valentino Rossi on the backroads over there, then I think leathers are a must. You can get collapsible rain jacket and pants which you can put over your leathers, and keep in a tank bag when not in use. I do this in Florida as it can rain a lot, and tends to be random and erratic.

But if you're just starting out riding textiles will protect you very well as long as you have the good hard armor.

I started my riding career in California (also some good ole' summer weather) on a beater Suzuki GS500, and the gear I got to start riding with cost more than what I had paid for that bike.

Also brands make a difference. Cheap leathers might withstand a crash poorly, and rip, causing injury; at worst they are one-time-crash leathers. In contrast, my Dainese 2-piece leather suit, I probably crashed in it about 15 times when I was doing WSMC club racing, and it always held up insanely well (with the help of some eventual strategic patches, which you can see on left shoulder and elbow in attached pic there was another patch there too but I was sitting on it in that picture ).

In California if I was going into the canyons, I always wore a 2-piece Dainese leather suit - always. Here in FL, there are not any canyons; I have only used my current 1-piece perforated leather suit at the track.

Otherwise the main problem with my gear selection is I wear normal jeans, which I have been meaning to get another pair of the special jeans which double as riding pants (look like jeans though). Like you said where it rains a lot, the textiles are great due to being waterproof.

I can't really recommend a brand of textiles because I have never owned any, so I'll let other chime in on that. But leathers when you eventually want to get them, spend the money on a good Dainese suit and gloves.

Let us know what you decide!
Attached Images

Last edited by ddk632; 06-21-2012 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Added quote to which I was responding
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #135
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
just don't go for Alpinestars because you're only paying for the name. A nice suit can be had for under $400 and leathers are one-use only so there's point dumping a bunch of money there. You crash, you replace it.
I would just like to state here that this is true if you plan on and accept as a fact of life that after crashing once you'll be throwing your leathers away.

However I still recommend spending the $$$ for a Dainese suit. Until you've crashed in one (and also crashed in a cheap leather suit) it's hard to appreciate the difference.

That being said I've always been disappointed with Alpinestars and agree 100% not to spend the money on that brand because you pay for the name but not the quality! I've had an Alpinestars glove rip at the seam in a 100mph+ lowside at the track (bad day, cold tires, learned that one the hard way), causing a 2 inch hole where the skin on my palm used to be ... also had an Alpinestars leather pants/jacket combo, crashed at 20-25 mph (at most) when I was first learning to ride, and it was complete trash, ripped, discolored, etc. For the money it was definitely sub-par. Even my Alpinestars boots came apart after moderate use (the soles started to come loose).

For boots - Sidi
For leathers/gloves - Dainese
For helmets - Arai 1st, Shoei 2nd

Just my opinion of course, all personally tested
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #136
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

i feel "confident" that i can ride around in only a shirt, helmet and gloves.

where i live, there are 1 or 2 really nice open highways.

i typically take these 2 highways on the weekends when i ride to my dad's house on the weekend (wife drives my truck).

i ride very conservative - i'm a green rider, but i really respect this bike.

the fastest i have gone on ANY bike is only 90mph - and that was with the flow of traffic.

i don't go around corners dragging knee and i don't wide open throttle - EVER.

i do the speed limit while riding next to my wife and kids....

when i ride to my dad's house, i'm usually in 5th gear by the time i hit the speed limit.

and with this XB, i tend to skip gears as i'm upshifting to get into 5th gear faster lol.

first gear vrooooom, up shift up shift.......3rd gear vrooooooom, up shift up shift.......5th gear......

HAHA !!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #137
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
Have you ever been hit by a car?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #138
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Have you ever been hit by a car?
no

that's why i used to quotes.....

i know i need one and i want to buy one, but it will have to wait.

when i bought the bike, i rode it 3 weekends in a row.

last weekend i didn't ride it.

yesterday, i got home from work and decided to take it for a spin.

and by spin, i mean i drove it around the subdivision HAHAHA !!!!

i hit a blistering top speed of 39mph....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #139
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
I would just like to state here that this is true if you plan on and accept as a fact of life that after crashing once you'll be throwing your leathers away.

However I still recommend spending the $$$ for a Dainese suit. Until you've crashed in one (and also crashed in a cheap leather suit) it's hard to appreciate the difference.

For boots - Sidi

I always throw away stuff that I crash in.

I agree with you on everything else; Sidi makes the best boots and Arai makes the best helmets.
      06-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #140
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no

that's why i used to quotes.....

i know i need one and i want to buy one, but it will have to wait.

when i bought the bike, i rode it 3 weekends in a row.

last weekend i didn't ride it.

yesterday, i got home from work and decided to take it for a spin.

and by spin, i mean i drove it around the subdivision HAHAHA !!!!

i hit a blistering top speed of 39mph....
Nice...

Get that jacket when you can though.

The reason I asked my question is to instill awareness of all the possibilities on the road. If you ride prepared (i.e., with gear and as if every other idiot on the road is out to kill you) you'll get to do it for a lot longer than otherwise. Wearing proper gear is an extension of that attitude, which I think is important to survival as motorcyclist. You could be riding safe and at the speed limit etc., but it's not just about you on the road...

I got hit by a car at night on my way home from work once. It was just me and this other car on the road. I saw him making a left, then pausing as if he saw me (I flashed my highbeams at him), and as soon as I get in the intersection, he just goes! Gear definitely saved me a good amount of road rash and injuries in that one, although I still banged up my knee pretty bad - was wearing the riding jeans but they didn't have knee pads. Point of the story is I was aware, riding safely/not doing anything stupid, no one was around, etc., and it still happened.

Enjoy your ride man!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #141
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice...

Get that jacket when you can though.

The reason I asked my question is to instill awareness of all the possibilities on the road. If you ride prepared (i.e., with gear and as if every other idiot on the road is out to kill you) you'll get to do it for a lot longer than otherwise. Wearing proper gear is an extension of that attitude, which I think is important to survival as motorcyclist. You could be riding safe and at the speed limit etc., but it's not just about you on the road...

I got hit by a car at night on my way home from work once. It was just me and this other car on the road. I saw him making a left, then pausing as if he saw me (I flashed my highbeams at him), and as soon as I get in the intersection, he just goes! Gear definitely saved me a good amount of road rash and injuries in that one, although I still banged up my knee pretty bad - was wearing the riding jeans but they didn't have knee pads. Point of the story is I was aware, riding safely/not doing anything stupid, no one was around, etc., and it still happened.

Enjoy your ride man!
i appreciate the kind and encouraging words, my friend.

when i get on my bike and know i'm going on a long ride, i always feel nervous, which i take as a good thing.

last thing i want to feel is complacency - everytime i exit my subdivision and immediately jump onto the highway, i got my eyes in my rear view mirros and i'm constantly positioning myself away from cars.

i rarely go more than 30 seconds or so without looking in my mirrors and looking to each side of my while riding.

from my house to my dad's house is 21 miles, 18 of which are very long and very straight roads.

i always ride in the right lane, i still use my blinkers and i try to avoid the "car packs".

this bike won't ever see a race track and it won't ever see more than 90-100mph.

hell, i've had the bike for over a month and it hasn't even seen 7K rpms lol (redline on the XB).

..and no, this bike won't ever get ridden to work either HAHA !!! waaaay too much traffic when i get off.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #142
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

Quote:
Congrats on your upcoming test and welcome to 2 wheels!

As for leather vs. textiles, I would say if you are starting out riding and it rains a lot, and you cannot buy leathers AND textiles, you should be fine with textiles to start with. I would get a leather suit for more spirited riding, however (which if you're just doing the test and you've not ridden before, is not really a concern at the moment).

I personally believe that in a hard crash at high speed where you slide a lot, leather will be a better protector. In any other "normal" circumstances textiles will hold up fine, though. Make sure whatever you buy has good hard (not soft) armor for knees, shoulders, and elbows - these are the areas that take the biggest beating in a crash.

So if you are going to be Valentino Rossi on the backroads over there, then I think leathers are a must. You can get collapsible rain jacket and pants which you can put over your leathers, and keep in a tank bag when not in use. I do this in Florida as it can rain a lot, and tends to be random and erratic.

But if you're just starting out riding textiles will protect you very well as long as you have the good hard armor.

I started my riding career in California (also some good ole' summer weather) on a beater Suzuki GS500, and the gear I got to start riding with cost more than what I had paid for that bike.

Also brands make a difference. Cheap leathers might withstand a crash poorly, and rip, causing injury; at worst they are one-time-crash leathers. In contrast, my Dainese 2-piece leather suit, I probably crashed in it about 15 times when I was doing WSMC club racing, and it always held up insanely well (with the help of some eventual strategic patches, which you can see on left shoulder and elbow in attached pic there was another patch there too but I was sitting on it in that picture ).

In California if I was going into the canyons, I always wore a 2-piece Dainese leather suit - always. Here in FL, there are not any canyons; I have only used my current 1-piece perforated leather suit at the track.

Otherwise the main problem with my gear selection is I wear normal jeans, which I have been meaning to get another pair of the special jeans which double as riding pants (look like jeans though). Like you said where it rains a lot, the textiles are great due to being waterproof.

I can't really recommend a brand of textiles because I have never owned any, so I'll let other chime in on that. But leathers when you eventually want to get them, spend the money on a good Dainese suit and gloves.

Let us know what you decide!
Quote:

That being said I've always been disappointed with Alpinestars and agree 100% not to spend the money on that brand because you pay for the name but not the quality! I've had an Alpinestars glove rip at the seam in a 100mph+ lowside at the track (bad day, cold tires, learned that one the hard way), causing a 2 inch hole where the skin on my palm used to be ... also had an Alpinestars leather pants/jacket combo, crashed at 20-25 mph (at most) when I was first learning to ride, and it was complete trash, ripped, discolored, etc. For the money it was definitely sub-par. Even my Alpinestars boots came apart after moderate use (the soles started to come loose).

For boots - Sidi

Guys thanks very much for the detailed advice! Really appreciate it given it's a lot of money to spend, and there is so much out there.

It's funny you said not to buy Alpinestars because of the name. I funnily enough decided to look at Alpinestars because it's a tried and tested brand with plenty of people who vouch for them.

I had planned to go with the following, or similar price ranges:

Pants
http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/alpine...arz-16464.html

Boots
http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/boots-...l-schwarz.html

Jacket
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/ALPINESTA...ather_Jacket_2

Lid
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...ent_prod/40595

And then buy waterproofs to go over them if it did rain.

HOWEVER....now that I've read the comments here, there's clearly more to it than just brand name shopping and sticking with A-Stars.

This might sound silly, but I want to look good in what I wear. I often see guys with bikes that look unbelievable, then the riders look scruffy. It just doesnt match the bike. I'm 22, I'm young enough to pull it off haha!

Anyone got any suggestions on what I should be looking at? Or is what I detailed above in the right ballpark?

Last edited by Masterplan; 06-21-2012 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #143
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh...and I'm over in the states this September, is it cheaper to buy some things when I'm over?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 01:53 AM   #144
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
I always throw away stuff that I crash in.

I agree with you on everything else; Sidi makes the best boots and Arai makes the best helmets.
Unless you have wider feet. I can't wear Sidi, the toe box is too narrow causing pressure points and hot spots unless I go up 1 size, but then the rest of the boot is too loose.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 02:18 AM   #145
CamelBiscuit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Unless you have wider feet. I can't wear Sidi, the toe box is too narrow causing pressure points and hot spots unless I go up 1 size, but then the rest of the boot is too loose.
I had sidi boots and I hated them. I have alpinestar and they are ok. I've had just about every helmet and my favorites sor far have been KBC and X-Lite.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #146
SPJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Phillip Island

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...613_2987_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._2230202_n.jpg
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #147
e92m3_f15x5
mmmmmm
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Always wear gear

I lowsided once, and had full gear. Shoei helmet, dainese leather jacket, pants, gloves, dainese wave2 protector, and high cut puma boots. I only had a sore shoulder after the accident.

You never know when things like this happens. I was riding on a road I'm familiar with, but there was an unexpected patch of gravel in the turn.

Ended up buying brand new DAinese gear and an Arai helmet. That stuff saved my skin for sure!

If you're riding around town and going out, it's tough to be wearing leather pants. So I have a set of forcefield body Armor. That stuff is great as well.

Ride safe.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #148
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Guys thanks very much for the detailed advice! Really appreciate it given it's a lot of money to spend, and there is so much out there.

It's funny you said not to buy Alpinestars because of the name. I funnily enough decided to look at Alpinestars because it's a tried and tested brand with plenty of people who vouch for them.

I had planned to go with the following, or similar price ranges:

Pants
http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/alpine...arz-16464.html

Boots
http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/boots-...l-schwarz.html

Jacket
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/ALPINESTA...ather_Jacket_2

Lid
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...ent_prod/40595

And then buy waterproofs to go over them if it did rain.

HOWEVER....now that I've read the comments here, there's clearly more to it than just brand name shopping and sticking with A-Stars.

This might sound silly, but I want to look good in what I wear. I often see guys with bikes that look unbelievable, then the riders look scruffy. It just doesnt match the bike. I'm 22, I'm young enough to pull it off haha!

Anyone got any suggestions on what I should be looking at? Or is what I detailed above in the right ballpark?
I think just like any brand, the entry level Alpinestars stuff offers very limited protection. Their technical level gear is very good stuff, and I've wrecked on the track in an Astars suit with no issues. But you pay nearly the same price as Dainese for the higher end Astars gear
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #149
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
The recent Sidi boots aren't nearly as good as they used to be They're still caught in the tech from 10 years ago and I think Dainese has blown by them in boot tech
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #150
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Check Craigslist. I found a Dainese Laguna Seca 2 piece suit for $500.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #151
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've got a 04 Ducati Multistrada.

Just got back from Europe last week and going through the Alps. Rented a 2102 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - now I want a new one.

My bike:

A few from my latest trip last week with the new multistrada (love the engine in the 1200 )

Passo di Stelvio was among the list of passes we did.

Top of Grossglockner

My dad's rented 1200 GS and my rented 1200 Multi

US roads suck now
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #152
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

where i live, there are 1 or 2 really nice open highways.

i typically take these 2 highways on the weekends when i ride to my dad's house on the weekend (wife drives my truck).

i ride very conservative - i'm a green rider, but i really respect this bike.

the fastest i have gone on ANY bike is only 90mph - and that was with the flow of traffic.

i don't go around corners dragging knee and i don't wide open throttle - EVER.

i do the speed limit while riding next to my wife and kids....

when i ride to my dad's house, i'm usually in 5th gear by the time i hit the speed limit.

and with this XB, i tend to skip gears as i'm upshifting to get into 5th gear faster lol.

first gear vrooooom, up shift up shift.......3rd gear vrooooooom, up shift up shift.......5th gear......

HAHA !!!!
Speed is the factor... not RPMs. skin on road = not good even at 60 mph and 2000 RPMs.

No one ever INTENDS to have an accident. You dress with gear for planning if/when it happens.

Quote:
Guys, whats your views on commuting wear i.e. Leather or textiles?

I presume most, if not all of you live in much sunnier climates than Scotland so this may be a pointless Q. I have my bike test in the coming weeks, and I'm looking to start buying my kit.

However, due to the weather over here I'm torn between buying textiles or a leather two piece.

Leathers look the part and are great protection, where textiles offer the weather protection and also good safety.

Any ideas/suggestions based on experience?
I'm still "building" my gear stock pile

I do not track any bikes... I do spirited riding / touring (mountains, day rides, etc) and I also commute to work on the bike. Depending on your riding type... it will certainly change what you want to pick.

I currently have textile pants that are waterproof and have vents that unzip. I ordered them to be an overpant (one size bigger)... and the slip on and off over jeans and are comfortable in just boxers as well. They also have a thermal liner that zips in/out for when it gets colder. Then I have a mesh type jacket for super hot temperatures and a leather jacket for all other times. I prefer riding in the leather jacket as the armor and overall fit is much more conformed to me. Textiles tend to hold their shape from my experience so far... leathers seem to break in over time which can make the fitment better overtime. Certainly the case with gloves... leather gloves break in over time whereas textiles pretty much hold their shape. The benefit of all textile when your touring is that you can get suits with multiple liners for cold and rain or they have waterproof-ness built in. Which is helpful when you're out on the road and on the go.

I also have a $40 two-piece rain suit that packs neatly enough that I can almost always carry it on longer trips without it taking too much storage space.
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold

Last edited by fitchesbass; 06-24-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #153
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
I think just like any brand, the entry level Alpinestars stuff offers very limited protection. Their technical level gear is very good stuff, and I've wrecked on the track in an Astars suit with no issues. But you pay nearly the same price as Dainese for the higher end Astars gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass View Post
Speed is the factor... not RPMs. skin on road = not good even at 60 mph and 2000 RPMs.

No one ever INTENDS to have an accident. You dress with gear for planning if/when it happens.

I'm still "building" my gear stock pile

I do not track any bikes... I do spirited riding / touring (mountains, day rides, etc) and I also commute to work on the bike. Depending on your riding type... it will certainly change what you want to pick.

I currently have textile pants that are waterproof and have vents that unzip. I ordered them to be an overpant (one size bigger)... and the slip on and off over jeans and are comfortable in just boxers as well. They also have a thermal liner that zips in/out for when it gets colder. Then I have a mesh type jacket for super hot temperatures and a leather jacket for all other times. I prefer riding in the leather jacket as the armor and overall fit is much more conformed to me. Textiles tend to hold their shape from my experience so far... leathers seem to break in over time which can make the fitment better overtime. Certainly the case with gloves... leather gloves break in over time whereas textiles pretty much hold their shape. The benefit of all textile when your touring is that you can get suits with multiple liners for cold and rain or they have waterproof-ness built in. Which is helpful when you're out on the road and on the go.

I also have a $40 two-piece rain suit that packs neatly enough that I can almost always carry it on longer trips without it taking too much storage space.
Would a 2 piece Dainese suit be of better quality than the Alpinestars kit I listed above? Something like the Avro?

http://www.daineseproshop.co.uk/product.asp?x=205

Bearing in mind I won't be doing track riding frequently. I'll be commuting and spirited weekend riding mostly.

As I enter the world of biking, I'm beginning to realise there's a lot more to it than just learning to ride!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #154
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Would a 2 piece Dainese suit be of better quality than the Alpinestars kit I listed above? Something like the Avro?

http://www.daineseproshop.co.uk/product.asp?x=205

Bearing in mind I won't be doing track riding frequently. I'll be commuting and spirited weekend riding mostly.

As I enter the world of biking, I'm beginning to realise there's a lot more to it than just learning to ride!
I actually have an Avro jacket, but don't have the pants as I don't really track anymore. But I would have no doubt it would do well because it has serious shoulder and elbow protection that's not just foam. Pair it with a G1 back protector and you would be fine. That's really the key, hard plastic or metal protection. Don't buy into the rubber and foam CE hype. In a serious wreck, they won't do diddly.
Appreciate 0