E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Best course of action for me? Wastegate rattle on June 07 build.

08-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Best course of action for me? Wastegate rattle on June 07 build.

Hello.

I just purchased an '07 335i with 28k miles on it and have noticed that the car has the wastegate rattle problem. (I hear a rattle the second I let off the accelerator, doesn't go away when car warms up).

My car is a June 07 build. As far as I can tell, I am not lagging or down on low-end torque. Car runs very well.

Rattle bugs me, I would like to get it fixed, but after reading all the wastegate rattle threads it seems that it's a crapshoot whether they'll actually fix it or if they'll just give me a crappier tune.

What is the best way to proceed with my service advisor?

Thanks so much
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBringer View Post
Hello.

I just purchased an '07 335i with 28k miles on it and have noticed that the car has the wastegate rattle problem. (I hear a rattle the second I let off the accelerator, doesn't go away when car warms up).

My car is a June 07 build. As far as I can tell, I am not lagging or down on low-end torque. Car runs very well.

Rattle bugs me, I would like to get it fixed, but after reading all the wastegate rattle threads it seems that it's a crapshoot whether they'll actually fix it or if they'll just give me a crappier tune.

What is the best way to proceed with my service advisor?

Thanks so much
The best and AFAIK only way to get rid of the rattle is to get a set of new turbos. I hope you're still under warranty. The dealer will update your software in the process, but with the latest revisions there is next to no lag compared to pre-29.2 versions.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I got mine fixed, they replaced the actuator rods. Do not settle for supposed 'software fix'. Either get new turbos or new actuator assembly. Either repair requires quality tech. If you bought car from dealer you should be good; if not, then go make friends with SA at Baron and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I got mine fixed, they replaced the actuator rods. Do not settle for supposed 'software fix'. Either get new turbos or new actuator assembly. Either repair requires quality tech. If you bought car from dealer you should be good; if not, then go make friends with SA at Baron and see what happens.
Thanks,

1) Am I damaging my engine/turbos right now? If they refuse to do anything other than software fix do I take that option or leave alone?

2) How many days will I be without my car if I get them to replace turbos or actuator?

Thanks again!!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
The best and AFAIK only way to get rid of the rattle is to get a set of new turbos. I hope you're still under warranty. The dealer will update your software in the process, but with the latest revisions there is next to no lag compared to pre-29.2 versions.
Oh, I'm definitely under warranty.

I just need guidance how to negotiate a turbo/actuator replacement. Do I just need to be prepared to start writing BMW Corporate?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
Clarkson
The Uninformed
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Oh, I'm definitely under warranty.

I just need guidance how to negotiate a turbo/actuator replacement. Do I just need to be prepared to start writing BMW Corporate?

My car was gone for a week while BMW NA techs looked over the car with a fine toothed comb as the dealer did the work. Everything was documented with pictures along the way. Luckily my car is stock except for tires which the dealer asked why I replaced the summer only tires with all seasons (which they were the ones that did the work). They also drove the car for 30+ miles while "checking it out". Hopefully your car was never tweaked.

I did get a new turbo (not both) and the latest updates. It did fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson View Post
My car was gone for a week while BMW NA techs looked over the car with a fine toothed comb as the dealer did the work. Everything was documented with pictures along the way. Luckily my car is stock except for tires which the dealer asked why I replaced the summer only tires with all seasons (which they were the ones that did the work). They also drove the car for 30+ miles while "checking it out". Hopefully your car was never tweaked.

I did get a new turbo (not both) and the latest updates. It did fix the problem.
Man, now I am wondering if it ever was modified. Guess that's the danger with buying a used car. There's certainly no tell-tale signs. The expensive mud/snow tires on the car (in July??) indicate that the prior owner wasn't too concerned with performance.

Perhaps I should get a BT scanner before I even take it into the dealership? Or is that just being too cautious?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Man, now I am wondering if it ever was modified. Guess that's the danger with buying a used car. There's certainly no tell-tale signs. The expensive mud/snow tires on the car (in July??) indicate that the prior owner wasn't too concerned with performance.

Perhaps I should get a BT scanner before I even take it into the dealership? Or is that just being too cautious?
OR you could take it to an independent BMW shop that has a GT1 to scan for shadow fault codes....He can clear them too for probably less than $100 dollars.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
OR you could take it to an independent BMW shop that has a GT1 to scan for shadow fault codes....He can clear them too for probably less than $100 dollars.
Well, since I planned on getting a scanner anyway might as well get one now.

But thanks for the suggestion...I had not thought of that.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Grey area if previous owner had tune -- your car doesn't now, and most dealers are eager to keep customers happy. No obvious link between tunes and rattle, it is a common problem in stock cars, so very unlikely that BMW would even raise that issue. It might have been easier for original owner to get the work done. Call the SA at Baron and see what he/she says. I had absolutely no problem getting mine worked on at my local dealer.

No way I would muck around with deleting codes that the tech might need for proper diagnosis unless they were obvious tune codes.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Grey area if previous owner had tune -- your car doesn't now, and most dealers are eager to keep customers happy. No obvious link between tunes and rattle, it is a common problem in stock cars, so very unlikely that BMW would even raise that issue. It might have been easier for original owner to get the work done. Call the SA at Baron and see what he/she says. I had absolutely no problem getting mine worked on at my local dealer.
Thanks again, stressdoc.

My mom has had the same service advisor at Baron for 5+ years so I am hoping I can use that to "get in good" with him.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
bradtm
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I took mine in for service due to my CEL coming on randomly. They took a look, couldn't find anything, and had to have the CA BMW tech tell them to take a look at the wasegates. The wastegate stayed open so they had BMW release a rear turbo and they are currently replacing it. So far it's been in the shop for 2 weeks, and will hopefully have it back by Friday. They wouldn't replace both turbos, and are only replacing the rear since they said the front was fine
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #13
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update:

SA called and car received a software flash. Software flash did not stop rattling. New wastegates have been placed on order and will be installed once they are received.

I am picking the car up tonight. Will I be able to ask for the software (flashed from what to what?) information at that time? Or is it usually hard to get that information out of the SA?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

They always flash you to the latest version so you almost certainly will get 2.34.x; But a little rattle will be back in oh 5K miles? Not much, but you will hear it if you are parked with windows down. Someone standing next to the car will also hear a bit of the rattle. Happened to mine too, and I have new wastegates and rod for maybe 6K miles if that. Its normal. Before mine sounded unbelievably bad, now its just a little.
      08-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
They always flash you to the latest version so you almost certainly will get 2.34.x; But a little rattle will be back in oh 5K miles? Not much, but you will hear it if you are parked with windows down. Someone standing next to the car will also hear a bit of the rattle. Happened to mine too, and I have new wastegates and rod for maybe 6K miles if that. Its normal. Before mine sounded unbelievably bad, now its just a little.
So after 6k and replaced wastegates the rattle is back? Is it as noisy as it was before?

This is a huge bummer.

Is there no tried-and-true method to keeping a responsive car *AND* elminating the wategate rattle?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #16
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Montego

Quote:
So after 6k and replaced wastegates the rattle is back? Is it as noisy as it was before?

This is a huge bummer.

Is there no tried-and-true method to keeping a responsive car *AND* elminating the wategate rattle?
+1000
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #17
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

That is the standard procedure -- first do software, if rattle persists, then change actuator assembly.
10k miles since my wastegate actuators were replaced and I have no rattle at all.
The bullet-proof solution to being rattle-free and responsive is having the actuators replaced and getting the BMW Perf engine tune kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #18
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

i think the best coarse of action is to go into the bmw dealership with a huge bomb strapped to yourself and yell out, "im not leaving till i get my f******** turbos replaced" but what do i know??

08-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #19
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, well I am actually pretty happy with what has happened.

They flashed me to the latest flash (sorry, don't have version # but I believe 2.34.04) and told me that my new wastegates should be in by the beginning of next week.

The car definitely feels different now. If anything, it feels less laggy than it did before. Shifting 2>3>4 seems more effortless as it *seems* the engine is staying more alive instead of having the rev's fall through the floor during clutch-in. I could TOTALLY be imagining this, but it is what I notice.

Also, there is clearly more exhaust sound...but it's not entirely unpleasant.

The wastegate rattle is still there but it seems to be less noticeable and almost entirely goes away once the car is warmed up whereas before, it made the same sound consistently at warm/cold temps.

One other thing i have noticed, is it normal for my car to be above 210 on the temp gauge? Even when I'm grandmothering my car around town with the AC off the temp gauge goes a couple of notches past 210 degrees and then stays there. My mom's e93 335 never goes a tick beyond 210.

As far as lag goes, I put it into 4th, had the revs between 1500-2000rpm and gave it a slight push. Once the engine was warmed up I would quickly go into boost (around 1800rpm). When cold, there was noticeable lag (no power until around 2000rpm).

I am very happy with the car now and I hope the new wastegates eliminate the rattle entirely but even if they don't, I can live with the way things are now.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #20
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Turn up the stereo and ignore it.
Appreciate 0