E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > High School----> Pre-Dental Programs? Help appreciated

10-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Cool High School----> Pre-Dental Programs? Help appreciated

What's up E90Post!
Currently a Senior in High School, and have recently started my application process for colleges, and have a few questions for all the medical professionals/students. I posted a while back about college applications and you guys helped out a bunch and I appreciate it, but this one is a little different.

I know for a fact after shadowing a few dentists/oral surgeons that I want more than anything to be a dentist. I want to take any steps I can to set myself on the right track.

I have recently discovered that I can apply for Dental programs that guarantee me a spot or even cut down on the number of years that I have to go to school to become a dentist. I have found a couple of these programs, but the problem is that these schools are very competitive and only allow around 15-40 students per year. My biggest dilemma however is that I have not been particularly studious the first few years of my high school career. As embarrassing it is to say, I have averaged a GPA of 3.3. My 1st and only SAT score was an 1130, which is above average, but by no means special.

I really need some advice on whether there are any schools that I can apply to that I have a chance of getting into with these "programs" that guarantee you a spot. If not, do you recommend just attending a normal 4 year college?Am I supposed to be taking "Pre-Dental" programs? I'm not even too sure what pre-dental is... would this basically substitute what you're major would be? i.e. instead of majoring in biology, major with a pre-dentistry program? What should I be doing now to take the steps to become a dentist? Bear with me

Thank you all!

Last edited by eamon; 10-01-2011 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

focus on sat and get it as high as you can first. ec activities help. usually they look at grades first, activities second.

good luck
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

+1 to SAT. Helped me get tons of money for school.

Kinda late now, I guess. I spent all summer before senior yr. studying for it.

If you're focused and committed, I'd recommend a state school that won't be expensive but still give you a good education in the courses you'll need for dental school. Do well, either find an office/assistant position for your 3rd/4th years, or graduate in 3, and you'll be set for any dental school you want.

Alternatively, you can find a school that offers a BDS, but I guess it kind of pins you in and you'll be in a bind in case you decide to change your mind.

I'd play it safe, get a good education, enjoy, and best prepare yourself for a career in dentistry. Can't imagine rushing would help in the long run.

Edit: my school doesn't offer a pre-dental major or a BDS, but I still know a few students going into dentistry. They're bio or chem majors afaik.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
E92TTKING
Colonel
Greece
Rep
Drives: e92

pre dentistry classes are the same as premed courses. There are special programs but they are competitive (3.8 gpa and above and 28 and above on act)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 TTS, CLA 45 AMG

Just do bio or biochem 4 year program. Get some kick ass grades cuz your highschool GPA is toast at this point. After getting at LEAST a 3.5 in college, you have to rock on the DAT/PAT test and you'll have a pretty good chance of getting in. Last I checked, my dental school had like 3000-4000 applicants for 140 positions so good luck. Last but not least, that little pot of gold at the end of the rainbow takes a few years to achieve. OS is even harder to get into as a specialty cuz you have to be tops in your class and have to consider that it's another 4-6 years AFTER dental school so you're looking at 4 years undergrad, 4 years dental, 4 years OS + 2 years so you can also be an MD (yes, you'll be a dentist, oral surgeon, and a physician LOL). I wanted to go that route but I'd be too freaking old and wife wasn't so happy so I just do a lot of oral surgery in my GP practice.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Man, you are way too young to be thinking about all this. Just focus on getting into the best college you can. Then see where it goes from there.

I wasn't even sure about going to medical school until sophomore/junior year of college.

Just know that dental/medical school admissions are far more competitive than college. Dental is a bit less competitive, but apparently is increasing in competitiveness due to the decline in physician salaries.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #7
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
imo. go through college first. majority of people your age do not know what they want to do... or their first inclinations of a career lead to something else.

plus those BS/Dent programs are really hard to get into... i had a family friend who turned down the program at the University of the Pacific and ended up going to Duke. i think a lot of it was because i told her that college is where you should figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life (college plus a few years after college...lol). don't rush things cause you got the rest of your life to pursue your dreams.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Man, you are way too young to be thinking about all this. Just focus on getting into the best college you can. Then see where it goes from there.

I wasn't even sure about going to medical school until sophomore/junior year of college.

Just know that dental/medical school admissions are far more competitive than college. Dental is a bit less competitive, but apparently is increasing in competitiveness due to the decline in physician salaries.
I'm gonna +1 with this advice.

Get into the best college you can, give it all you got in first year and it will help you see where you stand. Admissions into Dental Colleges are getting far more competitive year by year.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 12:57 AM   #9
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothDoc View Post
Just do bio or biochem 4 year program. Get some kick ass grades cuz your highschool GPA is toast at this point. After getting at LEAST a 3.5 in college, you have to rock on the DAT/PAT test and you'll have a pretty good chance of getting in. Last I checked, my dental school had like 3000-4000 applicants for 140 positions so good luck. Last but not least, that little pot of gold at the end of the rainbow takes a few years to achieve. OS is even harder to get into as a specialty cuz you have to be tops in your class and have to consider that it's another 4-6 years AFTER dental school so you're looking at 4 years undergrad, 4 years dental, 4 years OS + 2 years so you can also be an MD (yes, you'll be a dentist, oral surgeon, and a physician LOL). I wanted to go that route but I'd be too freaking old and wife wasn't so happy so I just do a lot of oral surgery in my GP practice.
Thanks for the help. That's the route I'm hoping to get on, hopefully I will be able to.. As long as I develop some good study habits. Where did you go to school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post

I've never really understood this, but does it really make a difference in what school you go to? People say it all the time, but isn't it all the same if you maintain good scores? I know for example if two students come out of college with the same GPA, one graduating from a state school vs a community college, they'd prefer the State school student, but other than that it doesn't make much a diff does it?

Last edited by eamon; 10-02-2011 at 01:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #10
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
does it really make a difference in what school you go to? People say it all the time, but isn't it all the same if you maintain good scores? I know for example if two students come out of college with the same GPA, one graduating from a state school vs a community college, they'd prefer the State school student, but other than that it doesn't make much a diff does it?
depending on the dent program, they might or might not take science units from a CC. and definitely, when comparing two students... one who took prereqs at CC and one who took them at a 4 year institution, the student who went to the 4 year institution looks better. but you won't need to even think about that... since you are most likely going to a four year institution.

at the end of the day, it's not only #s (cumulative gpa, science gpa, DAT) but your extracurriculars as mentioned above. leadership, teaching, health volunteering, non-health volunteering, studying/living/whatever abroad, jobs, life experiences, etc... that all comes into play when your applying.

but as mentioned... just go to college first. enjoy it, study hard, play hard, and gain some experiences outside of school.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
chrispyy
Rep
Drives: an infiniti

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/

you should be on this forum for that. all the pre dental and dental students and medical students go on this forum. it's awesome. you can thank me later
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

+1 on student doctor net

take your predent courses at 4 year college. Do not take any of the pre reqs at CC . (All Bio classes g.chem ochem biochem.) some schools won't accept CC credit especially prereq courses.
maintain gpa above 3.5 in college
get 20 and above on DAT.
do some shadowing and volunteering.
your set to go.

Your main goal should be keeping your science GPA high and getting good DAT score. You can't really study for the DAT until you are done with your pre reqs... so go to a 4 year institute where your most likely to perform well.

Last edited by leJUNd; 10-02-2011 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #13
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamon View Post

I've never really understood this, but does it really make a difference in what school you go to? People say it all the time, but isn't it all the same if you maintain good scores? I know for example if two students come out of college with the same GPA, one graduating from a state school vs a community college, they'd prefer the State school student, but other than that it doesn't make much a diff does it?
Short answer: Yes. It makes a difference. A 3.8 GPA at Columbia is not the same as a 3.8 GPA at the University of Maine or a CC. I can't speak to the particulars of dental school admissions, but where you graduate from is certainly a factor considered by the admissions committee.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispyy View Post
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/

you should be on this forum for that. all the pre dental and dental students and medical students go on this forum. it's awesome. you can thank me later
I hate that site. I was convinced I would never make it to medical school after seeing the average SDN applicant profile.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #15
whyrms
Private
Rep
Drives: foot mobile.

Are you thinking of the expressed route? A friend of mine did 2 years of UOP undergrad program that links to their dental program. She took the DAT and got a mediocre 20 points but still made it into the dental program.

It'll save you 3 years total if you go that route.

but getting into such program itself means you must have done some stella shits in your high school.

In your case, with your GPA, just focus on getting into a good college. And don't listen to anyone telling you to go into a hard major and shit like that. Take the easy route, do an easy major, and take your prereqs when you feel you are ready. Because a 3.8 will ALWAYS look better than a 3.2 in a hard major. Your best bet (if you really want a major that will help you in the future)? major in biology, JUST biology, don't go dicking around with double or triple major, and none of that biochem shit (trust me, I did the biochem shit and regretted it every step of the way watching my fellow premed cruising into top medical schools with 3.7 gpa, majoring in psychology...)

and yeah, go to studentdoctor.net but take everything there with a grain of salt, they make it seems like you have to be GOD to get into any of the school, but reality if really much more cruel. You can get into any good school as long as you get a 3.7 or above, regardless of your major (aslong as it's accepted in the school you applying to), and with high-average score on the admission test.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #16
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothDoc View Post
Just do bio or biochem 4 year program.
This man speaks the truth

Currently a sophomore majoring in bio.

Most of the courses that any college requires for a bio or biochem degree are most (if not all) the pre reqs that most dental schools require.

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0