E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Urgent! Engine Malfunction

02-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #23
6speed
>: )
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335is 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
$50 for a look-over and diagnosis is cheap. Always best to have an experienced mechanic check the car out every now and then anyway to catch issues before they become problems.
thanks you're right. I'm gonna get it checked out. but i do have a few noob questions tho. what is a DME and what is TMAP? oh and btw i have my jb4 on auto clear, could that have solved the problem?
      02-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #24
bootay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

The car will throw codes that do not indicate a crisis. It is a very good idea to get the USB cable in there so you can hookup a laptop to it and log data, update the JB4 software, etc.. And be sure you hit n54tech.com or ping Terry directly (that is where the JB4 tune is from), he'll get you straight.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #25
bee-yum-uu
BMW for life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 355iS Conv 6 Spd

Here is a snap shot of the limp home section from the BMW engine management document. Though there are several faults that can trip limp home mode it seems to be due a airhandling related issue due to the charge pressure sensor fault. There are two charge pressure sensors on the N54. One upstream of the throttle called the TMAP (temperature and manifold air pressure sensor) and the MAP (manifold air pressure sensor) sensor in the intake manifold. The TMAP is easy to access without having to remove anything. You might have to remove the airbox to get more working room to reach the MAP. Its one of these two sensors thats malfunctioning causing the sensor fault. I would recommend getting rid of the JB4 and doing a couple of key cycles. Usually the way diagnostics are designed is to clear fault codes after mutiple" no fault decisions". Good luck
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #26
bootay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed View Post
btw i have my jb4 on auto clear, could that have solved the problem?
Yes, the codes, once cleared, will regenerate if the problem continues to be seen, but auto-clear will keep removing them. If you think there's an issue, it's good to remove auto-clear so you can capture any codes and ping Terry with them to diagnose.
Don't Panic!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #27
6speed
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootay View Post
The car will throw codes that do not indicate a crisis. It is a very good idea to get the USB cable in there so you can hookup a laptop to it and log data, update the JB4 software, etc.. And be sure you hit n54tech.com or ping Terry directly (that is where the JB4 tune is from), he'll get you straight.
yeah i emailed terry. what a great guy. he emailed me back telling me to send him a picture of my install/dme box and to check the TMAP. i dont know what a DME is so it will be hard to take a picture of it
      02-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #28
bootay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed View Post
yeah i emailed terry. what a great guy. he emailed me back telling me to send him a picture of my install/dme box and to check the TMAP. i dont know what a DME is so it will be hard to take a picture of it
DME is where the JB4 is installed, in that white box. If you read the install guide (which has TONS of pics, even videos), it'll show you all about how to get in there and how it should be hooked up.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #29
bee-yum-uu
BMW for life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 355iS Conv 6 Spd

DME refers to digital motor electronics. In layman terms it just refers to the ECM (Engine control module).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #30
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

DME = Digital Motor Electronics (ECU). It's a Bosch term, but the N54 uses a Siemens ECU. We use DME because BMWs have had Bosch for decades - ever since fuel injection was installed in the 70s.

TMAP = Temperature and Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. It's the pressure sensor that tells the ECU how much load the engine is seeing, and measures boost pressure on forced induction cars. TMAP also reads intake air temperature (IAT or AIT) in the same unit. The N54 has 2 TMAP sensors - one in the manifold and one in the elbow pipe that leads up to the throttle body. It's call Absolute Pressure since it's measuring pressure from absolute zero pressure (perfect vacuum). 1 bar / 14.7 psi is atmospheric pressure at sea level. Our sensors go to 2.5bar absolute, or 1.5bar (about 20.7psi) above atmospheric pressure.
      02-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #31
6speed
Rep

ok i just disabled auto clear. what I'm gonna do is go to the shop in a few hours and have him check my TMAP and my MAP, because I've also been having another problem with the car that may be TMAP related. I started a thread on it, if you are interested just go to my stats. anyway, ill keep you posted on what happens when i get back. besides that, thank you to everyone who contributed. every post was helpful. i feel so much better. you guys are awesome, and again, i really am thankful to everyone who posted. you guys are the ish
      02-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #32
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Take it to Neil at Oceanside Motorsport -- they are legit BMW pros and handle plenty of modded bimmers. I almost feel tempted to drive down there from LA to let him do my routine maintenance. Always had great experiences with them when I was living in SD.

And they may handle other brands, but I only ever see BMW literature in their waiting room, and bimmers in their lot. Beautiful, sexy, modded up bimmers.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #33
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisred View Post
Same happened to me. My charge pipe came off. Check that.
Did you have the same codes?
Honestly I didn't even check the codes. They went away after i restarted car. Once i retightened the charge pipe. I knew it was my charge pipe cause I had problems installing it. But then I figured it out.

Btw I'm talking about the charge pipe I use with my meth kit.....so I don't know I we in same boat...
      02-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #34
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

It's happened to me before when I changed maps whilst under hard acceleration lol. It just went into limp mode but after it was fine. I'm sure your car is just fine but get it checked out anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #35
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

probably too late for my input but sounds like what happend to my car last week.. it was logged as a misfire in one of my cylinders.. the spark plugs and coils turned out to be all fine.. and they they found that my chargepipe was leaking. they fixed the chargepipe and the problem was solved. but i had all the same symptoms as OP did the limp mode twice and would go away without any errors when car was turned off and restarted. Thought it was a huge problem at first but turned out to be an easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #36
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

good news, did you have a stock chargepipe? also OP any news??
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
probably too late for my input but sounds like what happend to my car last week.. it was logged as a misfire in one of my cylinders.. the spark plugs and coils turned out to be all fine.. and they they found that my chargepipe was leaking. they fixed the chargepipe and the problem was solved. but i had all the same symptoms as OP did the limp mode twice and would go away without any errors when car was turned off and restarted. Thought it was a huge problem at first but turned out to be an easy fix.
      03-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #37
Chadd
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 335

Keep in contact with terry bro he helped me with the same exact codes the other day. I think my jb4 got fried from my body shop jumping my car after they killed the battery. We switched out jb4's and problem solved.

Terry helped me out big time.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #38
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

Yup, stock chargepipe, they kept the car overnight though and changed out the chargepipe. All was done under Certified warranty and i didnt have to pay a cent

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92murdered View Post
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #39
335(EX)(EYE)
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 n54 & n55 / e46 330ci DD

i would check for boost leaks/turbo issues also..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #40
6speed
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92murdered View Post
nope, I've been busy this week, so I'm can't do anything until next week comes. But so far the car has been fine, i keep checking codes since i disabled auto clear and there haven't been any. Ill be sure to let you know by next week, that is if i even find out haha