E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > EPA holding up ALL cars at Cali port?

09-23-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
yoka
Nurburgring 9'14"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT (PP,SP,CW,Nav)

EPA holding up ALL cars at Cali port?

I talked to my dealer this afternoon to learn that my car has been delayed from leaving port to reach his delaership for the third straight week. He claims this is because the EPA has shutdown/holdingup ALL cars at the california port (I have a 330i E90, not the new 335i coupes which I believe are having some EPA certification delays). I was wondering if anybody had heard a similar story from thier dealer, or if I'm being fed a a load of hooey!

It's pushing week nine after dropping off the car in germany, with no solid date in sight for me to see my car again. In particular, it has now been a month since my car arrived at the port in Cali! Any help or thoughts would be most welcome! The dealership got thier money months ago, so I'm begining to questions whether this whole ED things was worth it...

Also, since all the paperwork and info I saw about the ED program stated a 6-8 weeks delivery period for the cars, does anyone know if there is anything I can do about the lost time? Or if anybody has been successful at securing a loaner car for the remaining duration of my wait before my car arrives? Thanks!

2006 330i PP,SP,CW,Nav,Silver Graphite,Grey Leather, Dark Wood Trim
Mods: 38% HP Quantum Tint (all around), ACS Rear Spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Interior Xenon Lighting

Ordered: April 10 '06 | ED Pickup: June 21 '06
Dropoff: July 21 '06 | Sailed: Aug 2 '06
@ CA Port: Aug 24 '06 | Redelivery: Oct 14 '06

Last edited by yoka; 09-23-2006 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #2
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

I couldnt tell you about the loaner car, but we did have quite a wait for our 335 coupes because of the EPA.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Tough luck, but actually 9-weeks is really not that long, but a month at port already seems rather unusual that would mean your car got on a ship within a week and made the entire trip about 5-weeks total which would be close to an ED record for the west coast. Typically Cali cars from EDs take about 8-weeks to reach the dealer, so you're not that far off yet.

As to the loaner, you can always ask, but I think it specifically states on bmwusa.com that they're not responsible for any shipping delays.

You might be questioning the worthwhileness of doing EDs but think about how you got to enjoy the car on the A-bahn. Not to be mean but also if you did your research, you should have known that the wait for re-delivery would be painful and it's one of the few drawbacks of doing ED.

Anyways hopefully you'll see your car soon.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
yoka
Nurburgring 9'14"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT (PP,SP,CW,Nav)

It's mostly the fact the car has been stuck at the port for over a month now. I was on the east coast travelling, and cut my trip short to return home becuase I was originally told my car should arrive around the 10th. Then the 10th became the 18th, the 18th the 21st, and now they are saying they have no clue.

If my dealer is correct, which I'm not sure he is, he claims that BMW was doing a sloppy job of certifying the cars so the EPA shut the Cali port location in early august and they are just in the process of restarting things but now there is a massive bottleneck, etc. etc. This isn't a shipment delay, this BMW doing a shoddy job of prepping the cars and me paying the price for that, and I would have expected much more out of a luxury car brand. Perhaps I've been spoiled by my customer service folks at Lexus, but it's embarrasing that my dealer is satisified to pass the blame rather than make a concerted effort to find out what's really going on.

2006 330i PP,SP,CW,Nav,Silver Graphite,Grey Leather, Dark Wood Trim
Mods: 38% HP Quantum Tint (all around), ACS Rear Spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Interior Xenon Lighting

Ordered: April 10 '06 | ED Pickup: June 21 '06
Dropoff: July 21 '06 | Sailed: Aug 2 '06
@ CA Port: Aug 24 '06 | Redelivery: Oct 14 '06
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoka
It's mostly the fact the car has been stuck at the port for over a month now. I was on the east coast travelling, and cut my trip short to return home becuase I was originally told my car should arrive around the 10th. Then the 10th became the 18th, the 18th the 21st, and now they are saying they have no clue.

If my dealer is correct, which I'm not sure he is, he claims that BMW was doing a sloppy job of certifying the cars so the EPA shut the Cali port location in early august and they are just in the process of restarting things but now there is a massive bottleneck, etc. etc. This isn't a shipment delay, this BMW doing a shoddy job of prepping the cars and me paying the price for that, and I would have expected much more out of a luxury car brand. Perhaps I've been spoiled by my customer service folks at Lexus, but it's embarrasing that my dealer is satisified to pass the blame rather than make a concerted effort to find out what's really going on.
Inconvenience, yes, but in a month you won't even remember...you'll be thanking your lucky stars you didn't buy a freakin' Lexus...better known as the Ultimate Non Drivers Car...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
nhhiep
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

The news about 335 or 328's are holding at Cali port because of EPA is so wrong. I know a dealer near Cal poly SLO in Cali has been selling this for almost a month already and currently has 1 of each in the lot now. I saw them last week. For some reasons, for the look, I like the RS4 more. the back of the new coupes looks so much Japanese.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 06:26 AM   #7
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

Go into your dealer,ask them to show you the current DAR ( dealer activity report ) and you should have a very good sense of when your car will be arriving.btw, it's run daily........
Appreciate 0