E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Please help- Window regulator problems

06-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Please help- Window regulator problems

Hello everyone, I my right window recently quit on me and I replaced the regulator myself, was a relatively easy job and after replacement it went up and down just very weakly, thus I figured it was the motor itself. I bought a new one and in the process of pulling it out the wires wound around the orange disk came undone! I don't remember this happening at all last time and I fear I am in over my head here. I also found another mangled wire that I think is either left over from the regulator I replaced or has come off from somewhere. Attached are some pictures. Maybe I should have just coughed up the 400 bucks and paid the shop to do it for me.

Motor with orange disk attached. I tried to wind the metal wires around the disk but couldn't do it.

The two metal wires

This is the wire I found in the bottom of the door.

Please, any help or advice would be greatly appriciated. I ran out of daylight but I plan on devoting a lot of time to this clusterf*ck tomorrow. Thanks guys
      06-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Went ahead and took the regulator itself off, looked at it some more in the light inside. It seems as though the two wires on the window regulator themselves came off the track of the orange disk. Is there any special technique used to get the damn things back on? I'm really struggling here guys.
      06-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Buy a new regulator from a dealer, see what you can see through the plastic, duplicate on yours, and then take the new one back?

Could be the new one is defective. I don't recall the possibility that wires could come off the one that I replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
Buy a new regulator from a dealer, see what you can see through the plastic, duplicate on yours, and then take the new one back?

Could be the new one is defective. I don't recall the possibility that wires could come off the one that I replaced.
Thanks Alan for the input I actually was able to get the metal wire re-wrapped around the orange disk. I feel as though in prying the motor off, I bumped the regulator hard enough to knock it loose. I managed, through patience, trial and error, and some strength, to get the wire wrapped back around the orange disk. Now out into the inferno outside to see if I can get this bitch hooked up without screwing up again.
      06-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I really hope it works.
      08-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
vtraudt
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi VW Doge Turbos

You can wind up the wire around the drive pulley following the 'grooves' on the pulley.

I wind up ONE wire close to full, then the other one from the other direction.

When pulling on both wire ends, the pulley should 'wind out' (one gets longer, the other shorter).

I try to stock all clips (the plastic pieces that glide on the rails) for all BMW models, and a few pulleys (they fail much less often); but only very few wires/cables (expansive, and often better to find a cheap complete regulator on ebay).

I am in Michigan.

Email:

info@regulatorfix.com
Appreciate 0