E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB4 vs warranty: Worth it?

12-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
vashthe3rd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

JB4 vs warranty: Worth it?

christmas is coming up, I have the option of getting a JB4 (or COBB, procede, etc. depending on my choice) but my car is under warranty for the next 6 months.

Daily driver, only local tracks are drag strips (that I know of), my planned end-game with the car is only FBO, everything after this would be cosmetic/suspension.

added note: Any cosmetic suggestions? I've looked at a number of wheel styles but they're so damn expensive.

It has begun: JB4 G5
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
UDM335xdrive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xdrive

Go for good quality forge preferably I got ASA AR1 cheap but looks goods . Bents after a week hit a small bump . Save up and get the best one
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
vashthe3rd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM335xdrive View Post
Go for good quality forge preferably I got ASA AR1 cheap but looks goods . Bents after a week hit a small bump . Save up and get the best one
I've been trying real hard to learn the acronyms and abbreviations of the BMW world but you're gonna have to elaborate on that one my friend lol.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashthe3rd View Post
I've been trying real hard to learn the acronyms and abbreviations of the BMW world but you're gonna have to elaborate on that one my friend lol.
He's referring to wheels. ASA is the brand AR1 is the model. And that you should not get cheap wheels (ASA are cheap) he recommended "forge" which i believe he meant "forged" which is possibly the strongest way to make a wheel but it costs a pretty penny. to get ideas I would suggest checking out the wheel/suspension forum on here. VMR (wheel brand)offers some good bang for the buck.

as for the tune, the 3 you mentioned can be added/removed within a matter of minutes and leave virtually no trace (i say virtually, because if the dealer really tried they could find out our cars have been tuned) so you could add the tune and remove it before you go in for service.

Last edited by MrRetep; 12-12-2012 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Post 2 is about wheels. Forged Wheels, and not go with ASA. He is trying to say, don't go cheap on the wheels because they are cheap for a reason. When he hit a small bump they dented.

Anyway, thread starter, we've all had warranty on this car. Just take the tune out when you go to the dealer and call it a day

Be sure to change your spark plugs before you tune or you may get misfires if your spark plugs are over 25K miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
christmas is coming up, I have the option of getting a JB4 (or COBB, procede, etc. depending on my choice) but my car is under warranty for the next 6 months.

Daily driver, only local tracks are drag strips (that I know of), my planned end-game with the car is only FBO, everything after this would be cosmetic/suspension.

added note: Any cosmetic suggestions? I've looked at a number of wheel styles but they're so damn expensive.
what ever tune you choose, both are removable and undetectable.

Look into used sets.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
GoldRush24
Private
Rep

I've been fighting myself on this very topic. I got the Cobb and I must say it's been fucking great! But now I'm looking at DP's and FMIC, I just bought my car CPO in June so I have alot of warranty left. I predict that I'll eventually get the FMIC and DP's but it's going to be a major hassle when I go in for service.
      12-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
vashthe3rd
Private
Rep

Thank you for explaining the wheels post. FWIWthose aren't really my taste, if anyone wants to suggest a good 5 or 7 spoke style wheel feel free.

I guess a better question is: How likely is it that the dealership would go to the lengths to see if I'd gotten a tune. I don't want to wind up having to eat a big bill that I otherwise wouldn't have if I hadn't gone with the JB4.

As far as the cosmetic mod thing, lips, spoilers, crap like that are options. M front and rear bumpers have been something I thought look great but I've been too scared to even look at how expensive they are lol.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Thank you for explaining the wheels post. FWIWthose aren't really my taste, if anyone wants to suggest a good 5 or 7 spoke style wheel feel free.

I guess a better question is: How likely is it that the dealership would go to the lengths to see if I'd gotten a tune. I don't want to wind up having to eat a big bill that I otherwise wouldn't have if I hadn't gone with the JB4.

As far as the cosmetic mod thing, lips, spoilers, crap like that are options. M front and rear bumpers have been something I thought look great but I've been too scared to even look at how expensive they are lol.
the dealer would probably only go to that extent if its something massive, like you blew up your engine massive.

as for the wheels/cosmetics. only you know what you like, sure I can tell you what I like but thats just my opinion. I would recommend reading through these forums(links below) and look to see what catches your eye. as for the cost, there are plenty of vendors that offer "replicas" for reasonable prices and are very good quality.

Wheels/Tires

cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I can assure you this is the wrong section for cosmetics and wheels.

The dealer one wants to look if you give them a reason.

If you bring your car in for an oil change they won't look. If there is a problem with your car mechanically they have every right to start digging.

When in doubt, take it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
vashthe3rd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRetep View Post
as for the wheels/cosmetics. only you know what you like, sure I can tell you what I like but thats just my opinion.
Yea I agree with you there. I'm just coming from the world of pony cars. It seems like finding wheels for BMW's is a bit of a different thing. Never really understood the whole pedigree thing when it comes to wheel makers and models.

As for the JB4. I'm not really new to tuning turbo cars, or cars in general, but I've tried and failed to find anything that explains the different "maps". I've run an "on-the-fly" boost controller before (eBoost2) but this map system is completely foreign, if anyone has a direction they could send me I'd be grateful. That's really my biggest fear. (I'll keep my should I go JB4, COBB, Procede, elsewhere )
That's kinda my biggest fear is running something I'm not supposed to and *boom*

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
The Ghost
Reborn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374508

http://www.e90post.com/forums/search.php
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

There's thousands of tuned and under warranty N54/N55's out there without warranty issues so I wouldn't be to worried about voiding your warranty. Just make sure you know how to clear codes and you'll be golden.
The new G5 ISO is extremely smooth and features like the steering wheeel controls come in handy. Good luck