E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2007 UK E92 325i M Sport 335i or similar exhaust sound?

09-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
smev
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i Coupe

2007 UK E92 325i M Sport 335i or similar exhaust sound?

Hi, I'm quite new to the forum, only picked up my 325i M sport 2 weeks ago and am already keen to do a few minor modifications. First off all i'd like to get a bit more from the stock exhaust system without a new backbox/system/manifold. Is there anything that can be done to get a bit more grunt when accelerating to sound more like the 335i? Induction Kits/Air Filter/Resonator Deletes? In other words i want it sound as 'stock' as possible without sounding like a subaru! Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance, J
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
As exhausts go, the power gains are from deleting catalytic converters. The gains are in the low to mid end of RPM.
Sound is mostly form the muffler/axel back of your choice, some even go without mufflers.
Deleting the resonator will add that burble/grumble at shift points.

The European airbox can be cut at the indent for the headlight access to gain more sound, colder air and perhaps some power. Its will resemble the current AFE magnum intake for our cars. the 130i guys have tested this with dyno's.
So get a 2" or 3" circular rubber plug form a home hardware type store, drill with the appropriate hole maker attachment and experiment. Plug it up if you dont like.

The euro box also accepts euro K&N drop in filter which is the oiled version of the one the euro BMW Performance airbox uses. AFE offers both oil and dry versions. Both available online( amazon, ebay and other) for substantial discounts over official K&N and AFE websites.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
smev
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
As exhausts go, the power gains are from deleting catalytic converters. The gains are in the low to mid end of RPM.
Sound is mostly form the muffler/axel back of your choice, some even go without mufflers.
Deleting the resonator will add that burble/grumble at shift points.

The European airbox can be cut at the indent for the headlight access to gain more sound, colder air and perhaps some power. Its will resemble the current AFE magnum intake for our cars. the 130i guys have tested this with dyno's.
So get a 2" or 3" circular rubber plug form a home hardware type store, drill with the appropriate hole maker attachment and experiment. Plug it up if you dont like.

The euro box also accepts euro K&N drop in filter which is the oiled version of the one the euro BMW Performance airbox uses. AFE offers both oil and dry versions. Both available online( amazon, ebay and other) for substantial discounts over official K&N and AFE websites.
Thanks for your quick response Andrey, The drop-in filter sounds the most appealing option simply because it's a replacement rather than modifying what's already there, but will that make a noticeable difference in sound?

I'd be inclined to try cutting a hole in the airbox and then maybe feeding a hose to it from behind the grille if possible, as you say it is reversible by plugging it up but not ideally what i'd like to do. I get the impression this will give a bit more of a modified sound than i'm after from past experience aswell, not to mention filling my airbox with crap? Maybe i'm wrong it's just a thought..?

Thanks again, J
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smev View Post
Thanks for your quick response Andrey, The drop-in filter sounds the most appealing option simply because it's a replacement rather than modifying what's already there, but will that make a noticeable difference in sound?
Tes just get the official BMW performance air filter(search for its part code) or the oiled K&N version( ~$40) or the afe version (~$60-$70 for oiled or dry, cost is the same, just use the part number form their website in google)

Oiled could dirty up the MAF sensor, so be careful and know ehere you can buy a MAF cleaner spray. Never touch the sensitive part...

Quote:
I'd be inclined to try cutting a hole in the airbox and then maybe feeding a hose to it from behind the grille if possible, as you say it is reversible by plugging it up but not ideally what i'd like to do. I get the impression this will give a bit more of a modified sound than i'm after from past experience aswell, not to mention filling my airbox with crap? Maybe i'm wrong it's just a thought..?
To cut a hole and run a hose to it is alot like Mr. 5 intake mod on here and the Dinan Ram air box for USA box

A simple hole should be enough to add sound, no need to go the extra mile with ducting.

yes it could fill the box with crap so be selective if you choose to mod it, maybe no oil filters... the Euro box is easy to open vs USA box

here is a drastic example:
http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29860

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 09-05-2012 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
smev
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Tes just get the official BMW performance air filter(search for its part code) or the oiled K&N version( ~$40) or the afe version (~$60-$70 for oiled or dry, cost is the same, just use the part number form their website in google)

Oiled could dirty up the MAF sensor, so be careful and know ehere you can buy a MAF cleaner spray. Never touch the sensitive part...
I think i'll have a look at getting a K&N one dropped in and see how i get on with that and then if i'm after more i'll look into cutting a hole (perhaps not as big as the one from the link you gave though!! ha)

Thanks for your help Andrey!
Appreciate 0