E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Hooked on Driving/BMW CCA weekend at Buttonwillow 7/18, 19 & 20

08-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
JRob37
@11Tenths
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i - Alpine White

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Hooked on Driving/BMW CCA weekend at Buttonwillow 7/18, 19 & 20

Despite triple digit temperatures, the 3-day weekend was a blast. On Friday, even though I was coaching I still did over 80 miles (personal driving) on the track. David Mecey’s Hooked on Driving SoCal/Las Vegas Region and the crew (I guess that includes me as well) did a great job and everyone got ton’s of track time and had loads of fun.

We were running configuration #1 all weekend, three miles and never a dull moment. Those of you how have spoken with me already know that I absolutely love the track and cannot wait to go back.

HoD provides a safe and friendly environment for you to learn and explore performance driving. Generally one day events, great venues, great coaching, great time! This was my first experience with the group and I’d highly encourage you to come to one of the upcoming events.

Saturday and Sunday was the BMW Car Club of America San Diego Region combination Driving School and Club Race. Again, fun and excitement, more track time and new friends. BMW CCA is a great organization. If you’re not a member already, join today! If you don’t own a BMW, I can help you to correct that problem… Actually you can attend an event even if you aren’t a member or own a Bimmer.

I like to express a special thank you to Dan Tackett and the San Diego Region for pulling together a spectacular event (and for the great shirt too). Also a shout out to my students; Kevin, Seth, Mark and Lisa who did a fantastic job, kept it on the track and didn’t get me dirty. I learn as well, through my experiences with you. In fact one of my favorite bits from the weekend is something Seth said “drive happy”.

Teaching reinforces what we know, or think we know by forcing us to effectively communicate something to another person with less experience. I was honored during the weekend to have the opportunity to work with one of the racers and in the process reinforced (for myself) how much of this, as with anything we seek to do is psychological. Anyone can learn the basic elements necessary to drive a car fast, but we need to clear our heads and focus to actually do it.

Upcoming BMW CCA Event!!!

Be sure to register early for the BMW CCA Los Angeles event at California (Auto Club) Speedway in Fontana. This combination Car Control Clinic and Performance Driving School, September 27 & 28, 2008 is the LA Chapter’s premier event for 2008 and should fill up well in advance.

Car Control Clinic

If you have young or teenage drivers’ or are unsure whether you’re ready to attempt performance driving, the Car Control Clinic is a great opportunity! This is the place to learn how to handle your car safely, how to stop and maneuver properly and establish a foundation as a proficient driver.

Performance Driving School

Ready to hit the track? The BMW CCA Performance Driving School assigns you to a run group based on your level of experience and every driver receives classroom and one-on-one, on track instruction. Start or continue the process of learning how to drive your car the way it was designed to be driven.

Look forward to seeing you at one of these upcoming events. Photos courtesy of Vanhap.com

Oh yeah and Drive Happy!

08-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

What car were you driving that weekend?

That was my first track event and I loved it. I'm going back for more asap. My instructors were awesome. On sunday, I went for 5 or so rides with instructors. That was a great experience.

black 911 with R compound tires.
red 330ci with RE01s. (favorite ride experience)
E46 SMG M3
the yellow spec miata
blue M coupe
my car
________
How To Roll A Joint
Attached Images

Last edited by satakal; 08-16-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
JRob37
@11Tenths
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by satakal View Post

That was my first track event and I loved it. I'm going back for more asap. My instructors were awesome. On sunday, I went for 5 or so rides with instructors. That was a great experience.

E46 SMG M3
the yellow spec miata
blue M coupe
my car
Had the white grocery getter below... At present I have nothing of true track hybrid. Like to get an E36 M3, but also interested in the race group.

Sign up for cal. speedway sept. that's going to be every bit as awesome as bw and probably 15 degrees cooler.
      08-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
JRob37
@11Tenths
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by satakal View Post

E46 SMG M3
the yellow spec miata
blue M coupe
my car

Oh yeah, I did get to do a session Sunday in a Cayman S after we sorted out his handling issues. Turned out he had over 50lbs in the tires. After we bleed them down the car actually turned in... Driving that car after was among the highlights of my weekend, although I had fun in my car too. I'd get about 3 hot laps and it would go into "limp mode" though... I took it in for service last week and the tech said "what the #@%$ have you been doing to this car?! Ha! Just drivin' it bro...