E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > From JB+ to Procede V4: my small review

08-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

From JB+ to Procede V4: my small review

After owning the JB+ for a year and enjoying its nice gains over stock (had it set at 100%), I decided to take the plunge and move on to one of the more advanced tunes. The decision between the JB3 and the Procede was a tough one. In the end, the autotuning and the more advanced safety features of the Procede sold me.

A local shop installed the V4 together with the catted downpipes. I mention this as the DPs certainly add a few hp too.

It would have been useful to get printed instructions, as well as an indication that not all connectors are needed if you don’t run meth/NOS But with the help of the youtube vids the installation went fine.

Upon first driving the car home from the shop, I did a few WOT pulls to let autotuning adjust things. The biggest difference quickly showed, as the Procede offers a lot of power in the upper rpm band, an area where the JB+ would flat out a bit. Down low, the gains were not as obvious at first. I guess this is due to the “hump” of torque the JB+ adds in the low band, as well as the linearity of the Procede.

The next day I loaded the 7-14 maps and unfortunately I noticed a stuttering/stumbling and rough shifting issue when the car was cold. I contacted Vishnu support, but trouble shooting by mail showed to be a bit difficult as there are lots of variables. However Shiv quickly came up with a software fix for this.

So, now for some more driving experiences. I could make it short and just write WOW but I’ll try to elaborate a bit. The drive is really nice and smooth, until you let the fun start and go WOT. 2nd gear is scary (never even tried a pull in 1st as I don't want to waste my tires...) since I have good traction with the help of the Quaife LSD. In 3rd, things really start moving. This is where you notice that the power climbs very linearily and that you get an extra kick in the pants from 5.000 rpm up. You really can feel that you’re being pushed into the seat some more, whereas the JB+ would clearly lack that kind of power up top. I can’t wait til Shiv releases new maps which supposedly hold even more boost to redline Partial throttle and driving in town feels effort- and flawless.

I haven’t put my car on a dyno yet, but when looking at other cars with similar mods, I would guess I’m in the 360-380whp range. Overall I’m very happy with my purchase and I look forward to more nifty features being released for this tune
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
02themax
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Nice review, enjoy the new beast!

E90 335i
Sport Package - Logic 7 Sound w/ipod - Bluetooth - Comfort Access - PDC - 19" M3 Reps 275/30 235/35 - Blacklines - 10mil spacers rear, 5mil spacers front - BMW Alarm
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
gaifaun
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
congrats! you were bone stock at 100% with the JB+? did you do the solenoid bypass?
      08-07-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaifaun View Post
congrats! you were bone stock at 100% with the JB+? did you do the solenoid bypass?
I started bone stock and had the Forge FMIC installed after a few months. But I didn't do the solenoid bypass.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
335iTrace
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Audi S5 V8

What is the solenoid bypass..?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
blueberryyumyum
Spoolin Up
United_States
Rep

Awesome I'm debating weather or not to sell my jb3 and bt scanner and go with the precede v4
      08-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberryyumyum View Post
Awesome I'm debating weather or not to sell my jb3 and bt scanner and go with the precede v4
Buy a V4, if you don't like it return it for a full refund before the 14 day trial period ends. When/if you love it, sell the JB3.