E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Had a run with a red 350Z (turbo or s/c or many bolt ons)

09-01-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Had a run with a red 350Z (turbo or s/c or many bolt ons)

**Disclaimer**
The following story involves a race on an open freeway.
This "activity" is stupid, reckless, and dangerous.
It is an "activity" that I rarely take part in, but like all things in life, we occasionaly do stupid things that risk injury or death.
I do not condone or encourage this type of activity or driving, and do not, and would not do it if it involves weaving in and out of traffic.
If you are offended by that type of activity, please do NOT read this post.
I do not need responses that tell me it was stupid, as I am aware of it.
If you still decide to post that it was stupid, think about that the next time you drive while talking on the cell phone, when you are really tired, or just had "one or two beers" as all three of those activities while driving are FAR more dangerous and cause FAR more injuries or death to people than the story below does. Thank you! ***

Just thought I'd let you guys know I just had a fun run with a guy in 350Z that was most likely turbo or supercharged.
He also had an aftermarket exhaust and my guess a few other minor mods.

To cut to the chase, he obviously wanted to play, but we were in very light traffic.

Traffic opened and we had a wide open freeway in front of us.
He actually had the first opening and took off first and had like 6-7 car lengths in front of me before it was clear for me to go.
I thought, okay, I'm going to be stupid and give chase.
So at about 75 mph I nailed it and we ran it up to about a buck fifty.
In that time I reeled him in to about 3-4 car lengths in front.
Then he must of hit his speed limiter because I saw a buff of black smoke come from each of his large exhaust pipes.

I looked up on dragtimes and it appears 350Z's with a turbo or supercharger and a few other minor mods (exhaust, intake, intercooler) are running high 12's to low 13's at 106-109 mph.
There are some with many more mods that run faster, but I'm assuming this 350Z pretty much had intake and exhaust, and intercooler with his turbo or supercharger and not much more. That's why I was able to creep up on him as I have and automatic 335i Coupe with just PROcede v1.47 and VS7 wheels on General Tires, which would run mid-high 12's @ 109-110+ mph time.

I'd of liked to see how it would of gone doing a three honk and go, as I was at a disadvantage playing catch up, since he was going full steam ahead a second or two before I was able too.

Had we done a 3 honk and go, I'm guessing I would of pulled 3-4 car lengths on him (maybe a bit more since I reeled him in by 3-4 CL's when he had the head start).

Last edited by Driver72; 09-01-2007 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

i get pissed off everytime i read your posts man, fucking street racing

when no one will play with me
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
i get pissed off everytime i read your posts man, fucking street racing

when no one will play with me
hahaha 533, someone's always playing with you. You have more stories than the rest of us combined.

On another note, that disclaimer should become a default.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

How come some of you guys are always so lucky? Whats your secret?

Nobody wants to play with me here!
      09-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
hahaha 533, someone's always playing with you. You have more stories than the rest of us combined.

On another note, that disclaimer should become a default.
WHAT? your thinking of someone else, i have 1, the srt-8 and some s2000 that ran into someone trying to catch up with me (that i wasnt even playing with)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
How come some of you guys are always so lucky? Whats your secret?

Nobody wants to play with me here!

im hoping when i get the aero lip in more people will play
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

It's aftermarket wheels that do the trick and "encourage" people to play.
I just put the VS7's on yesterday.
In the prior two months nobody "egged" me on.
I put these wheels on and within 24 hours and maybe 50 miles of driving, I get this guy in the 350Z pulling up alongside me, then taking off a bit and dropping back behind me.

Then when I went to pass a car, I juiced it a bit (70-85 mph) and lo and behold he switches lanes and comes up behind me.

I was just going to let him go as I figured I have a G35 and know the 350Z is no problem for me to just walk away from...and that's with a stock car, with the PROcede, I'd humiliate a 350Z (even if he had an intake and exhaust and tune only).

But when traffic cleared and he nailed it and went around me I saw he had some power and that meant a turbo or supercharger on those cars.

So when I hit it he was already 4-5 car lengths in front and pulling hard.
But within a second or so after I hit it, he was 6-7 CL ahead but he stopped pulling, and I began to SLOWLY reel him in. My car would probably trap like 1-1.5 mph faster than his, as it took like 10-12 seconds for me to reel him in 2-3 car lengths.

It was fun.
But again, I'd of loved to of been side by side and done a 3 honk run from 60-ish to 120+
I'm sure I would of pulled 1-2 car lengths on him in that period and probably 3-4 if we continued up to a buck fifty.
But again I was at the disadvantage of starting after he was already at full throttle and pulling hard before I even was able to nail it. So starting at the same time, I might pull an extra car or so on top of that.

He probably lives near me, he exited the freeway at the exit right before mine, so I might see him around again.

I'm sure I surprised the h3ll out of him.
I'm SURE he was saying to himself before the run, "I'm going to walk this guy in this 335i Coupe and make him wonder what's up."

Bet he was like, "holy sh1t, that 335i is slowly reeling me in...FU-K!!"
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #7
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Too bad you didn’t get a chance to run with him while you both were somewhat even; I think your TQ is still much higher than his, even if he was F/I. I bet your adrenaline was pumping though.

btw -- I want to see pics of your VS7s in the "Morr monoforged VS7s installed on 335i" thread I started in the Wheels section.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Bet he was like, "holy sh1t, that 335i is slowly reeling me in...FU-K!!"
unfortunatly he was likely going "haha this 335 cant even catch up i pulled 7 cars on him"

oh yea and i had one of those porsche SUVs play with me, forgot about that we came up to a slight curve which i shot around @100+ and he was slamming on the brakes sweating
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Too bad you didn’t get a chance to run with him while you both were somewhat even; I think your TQ is still much higher than his, even if he was F/I. I bet your adrenaline was pumping though.

btw -- I want to see pics of your VS7s in the "Morr monoforged VS7s installed on 335i" thread I started in the Wheels section.

Actually my adrenaline was not pumping too much.
I get more nervous doing runs like that than anything because I really hate doing that on a public highway, but love the speed rush.
My adrenaline pumps more at the drag strip.

I usually shut it down by about 120-125 on the open freeway on the rare occasion I do that.
But he had a fast car and therefore the run lasted a bit longer. Slower cars that try to play it's usually over with by 120 when I'm ahead and pulling...or vice versa (had he been pulling away from me I would of shut it down earlier knowing I wasn't going to catch up). I was so focused on his rear bumper and watching it slowly getting closer and closer that I didn't realize we were doing a buck fifty before we had to end it because we were coming up on traffic.

I'll get some pics up of the wheels soon, just really busy in the next week or so.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #10
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
unfortunatly he was likely going "haha this 335 cant even catch up i pulled 7 cars on him"

oh yea and i had one of those porsche SUVs play with me, forgot about that we came up to a slight curve which i shot around @100+ and he was slamming on the brakes sweating
Oh I know he knows I was reeling him in.
If he's a tool he might be posting on the 350Z forums that he raced a 335i Coupe and "beat" him because he was up front.
But there was no doubt that he knows he started numerous car lengths in front of me and by the time we shut it down he could clearly see I had gotten much closer to him.

Even if he tells a story of "I beat this 335i by a few car lengths" which is completely false, he'd still have to feel pretty bad, thinking that he should of walked a 335i no problem in a F/I 350Z. He has no idea I have a PROcede.

So whatever story he wants to tell is fine.
Most enthusiasts I believe keep in real. And the reality is, his car was turbocharged or supercharged (or if not had lots of bolt ons like lightweight pulley, cams, chip, plenum spacer, gears, etc etc) with exhaust and probably intake and intercooler. That makes for a fast 350Z.
He's got to know that I was reeling him in, so he therefore also has to know I was not a stock 335i.

Last edited by Driver72; 09-01-2007 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 05:39 PM   #11
slick101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
i had a run with a 350z before... from what i could tell he was stock but so was i...it didnt stand much of a chance....i pretty sure he knows u were creeping up fast and as for going into another forum saying gow he beat a 335i should get the 350z owners fired up to race more 335's...this should fix the "no one wants to play with me" issue... i just cant wait.....thanx man...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #12
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
**Disclaimer**
It is an "activity" that I rarely take part in, but like all things in life, we occasionaly do stupid things that risk injury or death.
I do not condone or encourage this type of activity or driving, and do not, and would not do it if it involves weaving in and out of traffic.
If you still decide to post that it was stupid, think about that the next time you drive while talking on the cell phone, when you are really tired, or just had "one or two beers" as all three of those activities while driving are FAR more dangerous and cause FAR more injuries or death to people than the story below does. Thank you! **
Umm...yeah...I'ma gonna copy this and use it whenever I've got a kill story or whatever. Kthx.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #13
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Umm...yeah...I'ma gonna copy this and use it whenever I've got a kill story or whatever. Kthx.
LOL, no problem bro.
Glad I could be of help.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #14
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Went to the 350Z boards and found out the guy's name and that he in fact does have a Vortech s/c on the car.
Someone said he's making 400whp, but I doubt it's that high, because he'd of walked me easily with 400whp.
He might of meant 400 crank hp which would be about 330 rwhp.
That would be more like it.

So I'm happy with the fact I was able to slowly creep closer to a Vortech Supercharged 350z.

Maybe I'll see this guy again sometime soon.
By then I'll have v2.0 in and the results for him will be even worse.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #15
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Went to the 350Z boards and found out the guy's name and that he in fact does have a Vortech s/c on the car.
Someone said he's making 400whp, but I doubt it's that high, because he'd of walked me easily with 400whp.
He might of meant 400 crank hp which would be about 330 rwhp.
That would be more like it.

So I'm happy with the fact I was able to slowly creep closer to a Vortech Supercharged 350z.

Maybe I'll see this guy again sometime soon.
By then I'll have v2.0 in and the results for him will be even worse.
Did he mention your run on the 350Z Forum?

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #16
GreekMaverick
El Greco Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///N54

RS4 Played w' me once, most of you seen the post........Run into him yesterday, he waved and stayed at the right lane ..oh wel..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #17
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Did he mention your run on the 350Z Forum?
No because the owner of the car apparently does not go on those boards or did not want to mention it because he might of been ticked that his supercharged and modified 350z did not win.
I just posted a "anyone here with a modified red 350Z who lives in my area on this freeway the other day" inquiry.
Got someone who knew who he was and told me he had the Vortech s/c on his car.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #18
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

which forum
      09-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #19
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

my350z.com
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #20
AR230WAKEBOARDER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MONTEGO BLUE 335I

I had a Vortech S/C g35 and the power is very peaky. You make better power for more of the powerband.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #21
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
**Disclaimer**
If you still decide to post that it was stupid, think about that the next time you drive while talking on the cell phone, when you are really tired, or just had "one or two beers" as all three of those activities while driving are FAR more dangerous and cause FAR more injuries or death to people than the story below does. Thank you! ***

Just thought I'd let you guys know I just had a fun run with a guy in 350Z that was most likely turbo or supercharged.
He also had an aftermarket exhaust and my guess a few other minor mods.

To cut to the chase, he obviously wanted to play, but we were in very light traffic.

Traffic opened and we had a wide open freeway in front of us.
He actually had the first opening and took off first and had like 6-7 car lengths in front of me before it was clear for me to go.
I thought, okay, I'm going to be stupid and give chase.
So at about 75 mph I nailed it and we ran it up to about a buck fifty.
In that time I reeled him in to about 3-4 car lengths in front.
Then he must of hit his speed limiter because I saw a buff of black smoke come from each of his large exhaust pipes.

I looked up on dragtimes and it appears 350Z's with a turbo or supercharger and a few other minor mods (exhaust, intake, intercooler) are running high 12's to low 13's at 106-109 mph.
There are some with many more mods that run faster, but I'm assuming this 350Z pretty much had intake and exhaust, and intercooler with his turbo or supercharger and not much more. That's why I was able to creep up on him as I have and automatic 335i Coupe with just PROcede v1.47 and VS7 wheels on General Tires, which would run mid-high 12's @ 109-110+ mph time.

I'd of liked to see how it would of gone doing a three honk and go, as I was at a disadvantage playing catch up, since he was going full steam ahead a second or two before I was able too.

Had we done a 3 honk and go, I'm guessing I would of pulled 3-4 car lengths on him (maybe a bit more since I reeled him in by 3-4 CL's when he had the head start).
man you suck!!!!! i got bored after all this talk about "activity" and injury and what not.. i dont think i wanna read past the first paragraph
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 11:39 PM   #22
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
man you suck!!!!! i got bored after all this talk about "activity" and injury and what not.. i dont think i wanna read past the first paragraph
Huh?

You don't think, or you didn't?
Either way, what was the point in your response?
Appreciate 0