E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 09 iDrive crashed four times

12-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
09 iDrive crashed four times

Tonight my iDrive crashed four times. I was using the nav and hdd music. I uploaded music to the hdd for the first time a few days ago and just started listening to it. The music would skip for a split second, every 5 minutes or so and a full iDrive crash with restart happened 4 times. Oh and it makes a horrible high pitched screeching sound as it crashes.

I think its related to the hdd music for sure. Its never happened at any other time. I will delete all my music and upload it again and see what happens. The music is aac from itunes and is compatible.

I uploaded music two different times, and regardless of the band/song/upload the system still crashed. So playing music from the hdd causes random skips and crashes. It also happened when I wasnt using the nav as well. The worst part is, is that I had a passenger in the car for the first time and they werent impressed.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
The_AMG_Hunter
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5 Comp

Garage List
sorry to hear that bro
      12-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

that sucks, go and let the dealer take a look at it, maybe some else has also experienced it and they might be able to help you out

good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
melm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2009 idrive sat radio

hi. I have a 2 week old 328i with iDrive. Have the HD loaded up (65% filled with music). No crashes at all, and no skipping. Put Satellite Radio in a few days ago, and they did a complete software update.. one thing I know is it fixed a bug using the phone book with voice commands, but even before the update the music played great.. and no crashes. I'd see your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Im going to delete and upload the music again and see what happens. Going to the dealer is always a last resort. I cant imagine what kind of long procedure will be required to check the program or update something.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
melm
Private
United_States
Rep

Good luck with it all. Are you sure the systems allows AAC uploading? I don't remember one way or another in the specs...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
melm
Private
United_States
Rep

Ah, I just checked the manual. AAC is OK.. altho no DRM.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ive used nav, watched a dvd, and played with all the settings and never had a crash before listening to the music.

I wonder if its possible, that my usb card is causing a problem during the transfer? wtf is the dealership going to do anyway? Sit around listening to music? I hate dealerships, im sure this forum will help with the diagnosis more then them.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
melm
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Ive used nav, watched a dvd, and played with all the settings and never had a crash before listening to the music.

I wonder if its possible, that my usb card is causing a problem during the transfer? wtf is the dealership going to do anyway? Sit around listening to music? I hate dealerships, im sure this forum will help with the diagnosis more then them.
Hopefully it is not a HD glitch on your BMW.. they might have to reformat it... (but then you would get a software update)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by melm View Post
Hopefully it is not a HD glitch on your BMW.. they might have to reformat it... (but then you would get a software update)
Theres software newer then what I have already in an 09? And im sure that an update will take hours or days with numerious screw ups, excuses, swirl marks and other unforseen events. Meanwhile Ill be driving around in a dodge. Did I mention, I hate dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
melm
Private
United_States
Rep

Yes, my car was delivered Dec 5th, and when I brought it in for Sirius install Saturday they said there was a software update.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #12
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, my car was delivered Dec 5th, and when I brought it in for Sirius install Saturday they said there was a software update.
Oh, wow, thanks. How long did the update take?

Dealership said they can see the car on tuesday but need it for the whole day, and cant guarantee which loaner I would get. Im pissed! Mostly because im worried of the condition of the car when I get it back. Ive never had a pleasant experience in service, regardless of the brand.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #13
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
hi. I have a 2 week old 328i with iDrive. Have the HD loaded up (65% filled with music). No crashes at all, and no skipping. Put Satellite Radio in a few days ago, and they did a complete software update.. one thing I know is it fixed a bug using the phone book with voice commands, but even before the update the music played great.. and no crashes. I'd see your dealer.
Melm, what bug did you notice?

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #14
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
Theres software newer then what I have already in an 09? And im sure that an update will take hours or days with numerious screw ups, excuses, swirl marks and other unforseen events. Meanwhile Ill be driving around in a dodge. Did I mention, I hate dealerships.
I never had trouble like that with my Acura. I do always insist that they don't wash the car though.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #15
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I never had trouble like that with my Acura. I do always insist that they don't wash the car though.
Maybe I should have got an acura then................jk,

Im going to play with the iDrive all day and see what happens. Hopefully it was a bad music transfer or something relating to the files. Still, for BMW to have an update this fast, they must have noticed something wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #16
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I should have got an acura then................jk,

Im going to play with the iDrive all day and see what happens. Hopefully it was a bad music transfer or something relating to the files. Still, for BMW to have an update this fast, they must have noticed something wrong.
I hope that works out for you, PS. Sometimes wacky stuff can happen because of corrupted MP3s.

As for iDrive, I've not noticed any bugs yet. But, they could be there.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #17
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I hope that works out for you, PS. Sometimes wacky stuff can happen because of corrupted MP3s.

As for iDrive, I've not noticed any bugs yet. But, they could be there.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #18
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

I have an 09 IDrive Sedan and my radio went out yesterday. It was just making a 'tick" noise over and over. I even turned the car off and on to see if that would fix it, but it didn't.

It started working again after I left the car parked/off for like 4 hours.
      12-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #19
melm
Private
United_States
Rep

I have an iPhone 3g. When I used voice commands to say 'PhoneBook' the system would say there was no phone book. If I repeated the command, it worked fine. This problem would always happen on the first use of the car and of course I gave the phone plenty of time to sync with bluetooth. I had the problem even 20 minutes after I would first start up. After the software update, the problem is gone... phonebook command is recognized on the first try every time. The only thing that changed was the software update so I have to think that was the reason it got fixed.

Mel
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #20
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
I have an iPhone 3g. When I used voice commands to say 'PhoneBook' the system would say there was no phone book. If I repeated the command, it worked fine. This problem would always happen on the first use of the car and of course I gave the phone plenty of time to sync with bluetooth. I had the problem even 20 minutes after I would first start up. After the software update, the problem is gone... phonebook command is recognized on the first try every time. The only thing that changed was the software update so I have to think that was the reason it got fixed.

Mel
Thanks for updating us, Mel.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #21
MkLV_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

My 09 idrive crashed once while listening to music off the hard drive, I just assumed it was a problem with the file of that song since it only happened once.