E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rear Ended!

11-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Rear Ended!

Well hello folks. On the way to work this morning, a classic 'white van man' was tailgating me. I braked, he hit me. Rear near-side corner of car looks like Godzilla chewed it. Car is with BMW body shop, insurance put me in a 330d Touring hire car.

My worry: what will this do to the value of my car? This morning, I had a perfect car (a bit of wheel kerbing aside), now I have a rear-ender.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

My guess would be that it depends on the amount of damage, I was rear ended about a year ago, luckily all the damaged parts were replaced, and the work was completed by a BMW bodyshop, who provided a certificate to prove the work was done to BMW standards, and in that case I don't think it will affect resale value.

Whereas, I guess jigging or damage to welded sections may well affect resale value...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
It will only affect value if the potential purchases knows about it.

It will affect the strength of the car depending on how badly it was damaged.
      11-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersim View Post
My guess would be that it depends on the amount of damage, I was rear ended about a year ago, luckily all the damaged parts were replaced, and the work was completed by a BMW bodyshop, who provided a certificate to prove the work was done to BMW standards, and in that case I don't think it will affect resale value.
Yes, and luckily my insurer did not quibble when I said I wanted my car to be fixed at my local BMW body shop.

What niggles me is, if I was about to buy a car, and then found out this had happened to it, I would think twice.

I suppose as long as there's no structural damage then it'll still be safe to put the kids in etc.

Not the best of days. But at least nobody was hurt.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

So its defo not a write off? Are the insurance company yet to inspect it?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post
So its defo not a write off? Are the insurance company yet to inspect it?
I don't think it's a write-off. The corner is really badly chewed up, lights (including my beloved dark lines) smashed, exhaust pipes hanging loose, panels twisted, pieces of plastic poking out....

But I doubt they'd write it off. Thanks f**k I don't have to pay the bill, though, it must surely be a couple of grand.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
I don't think it's a write-off. The corner is really badly chewed up, lights (including my beloved dark lines) smashed, exhaust pipes hanging loose, panels twisted, pieces of plastic poking out....

But I doubt they'd write it off. Thanks f**k I don't have to pay the bill, though, it must surely be a couple of grand.
oh ok, Sorry to hear mate. hope it all gets sorted soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
It will only affect value if the potential purchases knows about it.
Indeed. But if traded in to BMW they will know.

Quote:
It will affect the strength of the car depending on how badly it was damaged.
This is a major worry. That corner would have been the worst one anybody could hit, if my son had been in the car seat on the left/rear, as he would be generally. Shudder to think.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
oh ok, Sorry to hear mate. hope it all gets sorted soon.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Indeed. But if traded in to BMW they will know.

This is a major worry. That corner would have been the worst one anybody could hit, if my son had been in the car seat on the left/rear, as he would be generally. Shudder to think.
BMW generally won't pick up on it and won't be bothered. As far as they are concerned its had a proper repair by themselves,

Any pics of the damage?
      11-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
BMW generally won't pick up on it and won't be bothered. As far as they are concerned its had a proper repair by themselves,

Any pics of the damage?
Yeah, you're probably right.

Here's a pic - doesn't do the damage justice, though:

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Quote:
And the rest! As it is going through insurance they will charge a small fortune. I got my arse tapped by a lorry in my previous RX8 and all it did was crease the bumper crack one light and almost unnoticeably mark the bootlid. Went to the insurance's 'appreoved repairer' and the bill was £2,689

Thats a £40 bumper, an £80 light and a good bodyshop 2hrs for the mark ~£100 and depending on the colour and state of the bumper respray at £100.

They are all vultures and if teh insurance does write it off just get a couple of independant quotes and rear end the BMW body shop with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post
And the rest! As it is going through insurance they will charge a small fortune. I got my arse tapped by a lorry in my previous RX8 and all it did was crease the bumper crack one light and almost unnoticeably mark the bootlid. Went to the insurance's 'approved repairer' and the bill was £2,689

Thats (from a scrappy) a £40 bumper, an £80 light and a good bodyshop 2hrs for the bend ~£100 and depending on the colour and state of the bumper respray at £100.

They are all vultures and if teh insurance does write it off just get a couple of independant quotes and rear end the BMW body shop with them.
Yes, they will probably get the arm in, since they know insurance are paying.

The bumper needs fixing, obviously. I would say maybe a side panel too. Plus all the interior stuff. Like, what is that little green plastic loop sticking out the side? Plus the dark lines, exhaust, and whatever else that is hanging down beside the exhaust pipes.

Still, I would guess my car is (or was) worth about, what, maybe £12,000? I paid about £19k for it 18 months ago. A 330i M Sport auto saloon, with Xenons, upgraded hi-fi, heated seats, etc etc. Around 20,000 miles on it.

And if they did offer me a cash sum instead, I would of course struggle to get the same car for that kind of money.....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
You should be well clear of £12k and in that case it is not your problem but your insurance that can haggle with the bodyshop if they think the quote is too much.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

The worst part is, I only took that route to work because my usual route was blocked - an ambulance was parked *across* the entrance to the motorway sliproad I usually take, so I took another route.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

There must be something in the air...finished work today only to find a Honda Jazz has decided to try and park where my car was....

Bumper is creased, paint cracked, probably needs a new bumpers, luckily the third party was pretty honest and within 2 hours the car was booked into a body shop to get it sorted with OEM parts

I've been unfortunately hit by TPs a few times over the years (all from people trying to park), but today was the first time I was contacted directly by the TP insurance company (with-in 1 hr of the incident) who sorted out the courtesy car and body shop....presumably its to try and stop all these "accident claims' companies from getting involved and jacking up the costs..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
There must be something in the air...finished work today only to find a Honda Jazz has decided to try and park where my car was....

Bumper is creased, paint cracked, probably needs a new bumpers, luckily the third party was pretty honest and within 2 hours the car was booked into a body shop to get it sorted with OEM parts

I've been unfortunately hit by TPs a few times over the years (all from people trying to park), but today was the first time I was contacted directly by the TP insurance company (with-in 1 hr of the incident) who sorted out the courtesy car and body shop....presumably its to try and stop all these "accident claims' companies from getting involved and jacking up the costs..
It's no fun, is it. My sympathies. Times like these, I wish I drove an old banger.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

12k? Mate I had a 330i M sport saloon same spec as yours. I would say yours on a private sale would be 10 maybe 11 max if the right buyer came along. In terms of trade its prob worth about 8k max.

Not puting a downer just telling you how it is mate.

Now if BMW claim that the body panels all need to be replaced fine no worries, but if they claim for the your exhaust and rear suspension components then worst case scenario mate write off.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
12k? Mate I had a 330i M sport saloon same spec as yours. I would say yours on a private sale would be 10 maybe 11 max if the right buyer came along. In terms of trade its prob worth about 8k max.

Not puting a downer just telling you how it is mate.

Now if BMW claim that the body panels all need to be replaced fine no worries, but if they claim for the your exhaust and rear suspension components then worst case scenario mate write off.
Really? When I started reading your post, I thought you were going to say I was undervaluing it at £12K! I thought I was being pessimistic by guessing £12K.

Well, it's a Feb 2009 reg, 330i M Sport auto with extras. Can it really be worth as little as £10K? I reckon you're pushing it a bit there, but I dunno, I haven't had it valued recently. I have (or had) no intention of selling. It took me ages to find this car, and I sweat blood to pay for it.

Yeah, of course a dealer would give me a crap price on trade-in, they always do.

Good point re. the suspension, though. Shit, I don't want a write off, I'll never get what the car is worth.....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Mate, im no expert in car sales so dont take my word for it, it was just my opinion. If it was up to me I would make sure you car is worth 20k . For me the 330i was the best NA non M straight 6 BMW ever made. I think at the time its power to weight ratio was amongst the best seeing as it was an alu and mag block.

But sadly, the way things are BMW have stopped making the engine. and to the mass market its hard to shift. However like i said, if it was to a like minded enthusiast it would be good money all day long.

In regards to the damage, mate you will know soon enough. Hopefully just cosmetic
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 msport

Quote:
Well hello folks. On the way to work this morning, a classic 'white van man' was tailgating me. I braked, he hit me. Rear near-side corner of car looks like Godzilla chewed it. Car is with BMW body shop, insurance put me in a 330d Touring hire car.

My worry: what will this do to the value of my car? This morning, I had a perfect car (a bit of wheel kerbing aside), now I have a rear-ender.

I was rear ended ( sounds wrong lol ) a couple of years ago in my old e90. Similar damage to what you have. Repair bill ended up at £5500.00. I would also enquire about depreciation value of the vehicle. If you sell the car you have to declare any accident damage. I ended up losing nearly 2 grand in trade in value because my vehicle had been classed as a Catd.

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops//front and rear brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #22
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

Got sandwiched in multi-car crash - nobody hurt.

Guess how much BMW bodyshop charged for this ...
Attached Images

Last edited by Jules59; 11-22-2012 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0