E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DAB radio not working.

02-08-2018, 03:01 AM   #1
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

DAB radio not working.

My 2006 car came with the ccc I drive and DAB was definitely spec'd when new. I know this because I've got the original bill of sale with all the options listed. However, a previous owner had the idrive updated to cic which all works fine except the DAB.
Would this be because the module for the ccc system is different and he didn't want to pay for that feature or would it simply be a coding thing......assuming the module is still fitted? I've not looked in the boot for it so when I do later what does it look like and where exactly is it?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 05:30 AM   #2
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

CCC had a separate DAB module in the boot. On CIC there was no DAB module as it was built into the head unit.

So it looks like the CIC head unit retrofit was used did not have DAB. You can check for definite by removing the head unit and checking of it has the DAB connector.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 06:38 AM   #3
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

i believe that it is possible to code cic unit to work with external dab module
      02-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #4
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep

The DAB option is there in the radio menu along with FM etc but just says no radio stations or words to that effect so could it be the aerial lead for DAB isn't connected?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep

No it doesn't say anything about no stations at all! just been to have a look and it shows FM, AM, DAB, Saved stations and tone. When I click on DAB it then says select ensemble? (All ensemble) then when I click that it the says tick symbol All ensembles. When I click that it just goes back to the select ensemble? (all ensemble).

If I go into options under the DAB header theres a tick box which is ticked and won't untick that says Automatic DAB/FM changeover.

So, it looks like its got it but not receiving a DAB signal yeah?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

A work around would be to download a radio app on your phone and stream it to your car via Bluetooth! You will need a decent / unlimited data package though.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
MAN15H
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330e MSport

Mine does this as well.

Upgraded my CCC with separate DAB module to CIC with built in DAB a few years back and the DAB has never worked since.

I get the same thing in the menu. Select DAB from the list of available radio options then the next screen shows ensemble? (All ensemble) and there is a list of DAB stations below that and it doesn't matter which station I select I don't hear anything.

The only available radio stations that I can listen too are the AM/FM stations.

I'm sure it must be something to do with coding but don't really have a clue.

Would be interested to see if anyone can offer a solution to this.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 04:25 AM   #8
vorph
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

- CIC must have DAB board build in
- minimum one (two required) 5m cable
- DAB diversity antenna
- coding

That’s it
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #9
MAN15H
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So on mine:

- CIC must have DAB board build in -- Check
- minimum one (two required) 5m cable -- Not sure what cable this is but I have a cable between the Dab anteena and the CIC unit that the original installer fitted for me.
- DAB diversity antenna -- Check
- coding -- This is the bit that worries me

Does anyone know the exact part number for the cable that goes between the DAB antenna and the CIC unit ? The one that was fitted for me was a second hand one so I might just go and buy a brand new one and plug that in to see if that helps before getting someone to check coding.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 09:44 AM   #10
vorph
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN15H View Post
So on mine:

- CIC must have DAB board build in -- Check
- minimum one (two required) 5m cable -- Not sure what cable this is but I have a cable between the Dab anteena and the CIC unit that the original installer fitted for me.
- DAB diversity antenna -- Check
- coding -- This is the bit that worries me

Does anyone know the exact part number for the cable that goes between the DAB antenna and the CIC unit ? The one that was fitted for me was a second hand one so I might just go and buy a brand new one and plug that in to see if that helps before getting someone to check coding.
You will not able to get genuine cable, had asked few times in past. I use 5m fakra cables.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #11
MAN15H
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Is this the one I need?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antenna-ext...ds=fakra+cable
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #12
vorph
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes ish, it must have female to female connectors.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #13
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

before dab antenna rewiring i'd removed CIC and checked if it is have DAB connectors
because CIC with DAB for e9x is very rare
      02-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #14
MAN15H
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes defo has DAB built in. I paid a fortune for it back in 2014 because it was a DAB unit.
Chap who helped me install it didn't fully code it because once it was fitted my original L7 amp (2006 car) didn't work with the CIC unit so no sound came out and he was unwilling to flash the latest firmware onto the AMP in case it got bricked. I eventually flashed it myself with my very limited coding skills and in the process almost broke something else in the car but it worked and the AMP started working. The only functions that I never got working were the DAB and Digital TV as I have a separate TV unit from the original CCC setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #15
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

if you see dab stations names and they are not saved then you have dab reception but there is some coding problem
did you disconnected external dab receiver from most bus when retrofitted cic with dab ?
      02-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #16
MAN15H
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

yes we removed that from boot of the car when fitting the CIC and I brought some little connector from BMW to allow the MOST bus to be connected together following the removal of that DAB unit.

Yeah the unit does show a list of stations when I select DAB so it must be seeing something but just needs coding I guess.. Wish there was a quality coder near me (Dunstable) who could do the coding.

When I used to have the original CCC in I used to listen to DAB quite a bit so would be nice to at least get that working... hardly ever watched TV so not really bothered about that.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 12:09 AM   #17
vorph
Banned
Rep

Quote:
yes we removed that from boot of the car when fitting the CIC and I brought some little connector from BMW to allow the MOST bus to be connected together following the removal of that DAB unit.

Yeah the unit does show a list of stations when I select DAB so it must be seeing something but just needs coding I guess.. Wish there was a quality coder near me (Dunstable) who could do the coding.

When I used to have the original CCC in I used to listen to DAB quite a bit so would be nice to at least get that working... hardly ever watched TV so not really bothered about that.
Very strange, if you can see DAB stations on new CIC DAB unit then should be really coded, I could have a look if you have all necessary hardware to run DAB and code everything together as should.
I will be at Dunstable somewhere in next week for my customer F30 or you may catch me this Saturday as have couple jobs in West London.

Last edited by vorph; 02-23-2018 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 04:44 AM   #18
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep

Unlike MAN15H when I go into the DAB I never get any stations come up so I guess I must be missing the long cable from the Ariel to the unit. Where is the Ariel or will there be a cable to the CCC DAB unit in the boot if it's still there which I'd just need to disconnect then extend with a long cable to the back of my CIC unit?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 06:19 AM   #19
MAN15H
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorph View Post
Very strange, if you can see DAB stations on new CIC DAB unit then should be really coded, I could have a look if you have all necessary hardware to run DAB and code everything together as should.
I will be at Dunstable somewhere in next week for my customer F30 or you may catch me this Saturday as have couple jobs in West London.
Hi Vorph, Its very kind of you to offer to help me out this. Please feel free to drop me a PM with your details about when you will be in Dunstable. My car is going to BMW for a service next week so will be dropping it off to them Thursday night but if your around Monday to Wednesday I could meet up. This weekend is a possibility as well.

Thanks
Appreciate 0