E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > brake and brake disc

06-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #23
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & R33 Skyline GTS-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
Hey Mayuri, while you are in Perth as well, where do you get your car serviced or repaired?

for the pads and rotor, any brands that you recommend?
and for the quotes above, do you think that it is reasonable? (since you are in WA as well, cannot compare to the Eastern states)

Thanks.
I currently have OEM discs with ATE pads all round and can't complain, I didn't notice much difference between them to OEM but the brake dust reduction is night and day.

I think I know the shop who quoted you the brake job, because I got a similar quote when I got mine done (came to $1.9k for the entire brake system along with a spark plug change).

The other shop I've used is Ramp Auto Group, but I've only used them for my mods install (install JB 4, downpipes etc etc) and fixing up oil leaks, as now days I pretty much do all the easy stuff myself.

I'm thinking off giving Packard Automotive a go for my next 'major service' (looking to buy a belt kit and water pump kit from ECS and get them to change that) as they seem to be cheaper than most of the others and I believe one of the members on here (AusMatty) works there.

93 R33 Skyline GTS-T |SAFC-II piggyback|3" Turbo Back Exhaust + Highflow Cat|FMIC|Boost Tee|Apexi POD| Shitty Chinese spec tires = sideways action everywhere

Last edited by Mayuri Krab; 06-18-2015 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #24
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
just had a quote from another workshop for the brakes:

Textar pads @ $115
Textar ceramic E-pad @ $230
Textar brake rotor @ $116 each
Brake pad sensor @ $28
Labour @ $180

total $555 or $670 (ceramic pads)
reasonable?

anyone uses Textar pads/Textar ceramic E-pad? good enough for a daily driver like me?
Good prices IMO. Although the sensors you can buy for $19 from clickable
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 03:31 AM   #25
CYL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Thanks.
where did you get the ATE pads please?
or any particular model that suits my E92 325i?

I wish I could do the brake pads and the rotor too, but they are relatively hard stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayuri Krab View Post
I currently have OEM discs with ATE pads all round and can't complain, I didn't notice much difference between them to OEM but the brake dust reduction is night and day.

I think I know the shop who quoted you the brake job, because I got a similar quote when I got mine done (came to $1.9k for the entire brake system along with a spark plug change).

The other shop I've used is Ramp Auto Group, but I've only used them for my mods install (install JB 4, downpipes etc etc) and fixing up oil leaks, as now days I pretty much do all the easy stuff myself.

I'm thinking off giving Packard Automotive a go for my next 'major service' (looking to buy a belt kit and water pump kit from ECS and get them to change that) as they seem to be cheaper than most of the others and I believe one of the members on here (AusMatty) works there.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 03:33 AM   #26
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Good prices IMO. Although the sensors you can buy for $19 from clickable
Thanks woosh
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 03:21 AM   #27
AusMatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I'm probably going to get my Rotors and Pads from ECS I think, their front and rear kit looks pretty good and its only an extra $300 for 2 piece floating front rotors (probably not needed at the moment but looking to track the car next year).

Mayuri, I don't work at Packard Automotive but get all my work done there (I know the owners quite well so get to use the workshop when I need to) I got my inlets cleaned there as well as Trans flush and Alpina flash.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #28
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & R33 Skyline GTS-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusMatty View Post
Mayuri, I don't work at Packard Automotive but get all my work done there (I know the owners quite well so get to use the workshop when I need to) I got my inlets cleaned there as well as Trans flush and Alpina flash.
If you can vouch for them, then it's good enough for me . I'll probably see them next month regarding changing my belts and water pump.

Let us know how the Alpina flash works out, I'm interested in getting it done too.

93 R33 Skyline GTS-T |SAFC-II piggyback|3" Turbo Back Exhaust + Highflow Cat|FMIC|Boost Tee|Apexi POD| Shitty Chinese spec tires = sideways action everywhere
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #29
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
I wish I could do the brake pads and the rotor too, but they are relatively hard stuff
The rotors and pads are actually much easier than you'd think.

You just need to jack up the corner, remove the wheel (5 bolts), remove the caliper (2 bolts).

Pop out the break pads with a screw driver or pry bar, apply some copper grease to the back of the new ones and pop them back in.

Then I believe the rotor is held onto the hub with an Allen key screw, so just unbolt and bolt on the new.

Then reassemble.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 02:02 AM   #30
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty89 View Post
The rotors and pads are actually much easier than you'd think.

You just need to jack up the corner, remove the wheel (5 bolts), remove the caliper (2 bolts).

Pop out the break pads with a screw driver or pry bar, apply some copper grease to the back of the new ones and pop them back in.

Then I believe the rotor is held onto the hub with an Allen key screw, so just unbolt and bolt on the new.

Then reassemble.
I read some post saying that there is a need of the C clamp, and all the stuff regarding the brake fluid or bleeding....I am just worrying if I break any of the parts...
More importantly, since the brake is so important for safety, I do not really dare to do it on my own unless there is someone who can guide me while I am doing it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #31
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
You do not need to do any bleeding of the system or clamping of hoses unless you disconnect the brake lines.

You can remove the caliper from the wheel hub, and then remove the pads/rotors from the caliper and hub without disconnecting any brake lines.

The only thing you probably should check is the tightening torque specs on remounting the callipers.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #32
sr2223
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
just had a quote from another workshop for the brakes:

Textar pads @ $115
Textar ceramic E-pad @ $230
Textar brake rotor @ $116 each
Brake pad sensor @ $28
Labour @ $180

total $555 or $670 (ceramic pads)
reasonable?

anyone uses Textar pads/Textar ceramic E-pad? good enough for a daily driver like me?
May I ask which workshop you got this quote from?
I'm also looking to replace my brake pads and rotors and looking for a workshop in Perth
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:36 PM   #33
AusMatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayuri Krab View Post
If you can vouch for them, then it's good enough for me . I'll probably see them next month regarding changing my belts and water pump.

Let us know how the Alpina flash works out, I'm interested in getting it done too.
I have had the flash in for about 3 months now and love it

They had an issue with their cable though and it wouldn't communicate when they tried to do Waterbottles car, they have the new cable now though.

In regards to DIY brakes, it is easy... just really, really dirty.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 09:30 PM   #34
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2223 View Post
May I ask which workshop you got this quote from?
I'm also looking to replace my brake pads and rotors and looking for a workshop in Perth
Ramp Auto Group
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #35
CYL
Major
Rep

Hi all,
how's Bremtec rotor and pads?
good?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #36
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
there are a plethora of aftermarket options for the engine air filter, BMC, K&N etc the K&N shall be fine.

As for the micro filter buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

ATE are oem suppliers along with textar and a few others. I noticed bendix have a new euro range out, they are good pads and would offer decent BFYB for a daily driver street car.
Hi DR-JEKL
the micro filter above, it said that it is suitable for 2006 model only and when I tried to check for my 2008, there is no such option?
Does the filter fit my car?
Or for the states, 325i is only up to 2006 but all 2006+ model uses the same micro filter and oil filter?

Oil filter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001DR...SBF4T963R8Z00G

Just want to double check before I buy.
Thanks

Last edited by CYL; 07-14-2015 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:34 AM   #37
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Hi DR-JEKL
the micro filter above, it said that it is suitable for 2006 model only and when I tried to check for my 2008, there is no such option?
Does the filter fit my car?
Or for the states, 325i is only up to 2006 but all 2006+ model uses the same micro filter and oil filter?

Oil filter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001DR...SBF4T963R8Z00G

Just want to double check before I buy.
Thanks
Search the mann australia website for the part number you need for the year model you're after and buy that, easy
Appreciate 0