E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Alarm/tracking solutions?

07-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #23
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeTiNQ View Post
Will look into cameras aswell while I'm at it tomorrow and also going to try do something about putting gates up aswell.

Can't believe I'm so paranoid
It sucks dude, I had my last car covered in house paint when I was living in the city.

Fortunately a neighbour knocked on the door to tell me, and because it was just water based paint it practically hosed off. I'm guessing some punks robbed someones shed, then went through the street seen my nice shiny black lexus and used a roller to paint most of the car, then they painted a neighbours fence.

Afterwards I was paranoid they would come back and use enamel paint or spray paint but fortunately they didnt come back.

Most crims wouldnt come back a 2nd time, he sounded like he was brazen not some smacked out ice addict who just would have ran and chances are he wont risk it again
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #24
NeT335
Major
Albania
Rep
Drives: e92 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by donR
Jebeesus what suburb do you live in?

Back in the day I had a quick track system:

http://www.quiktrak.com.au/

It is still in the car but I stopped paying years ago. Used to be about $350 per year.

They could track the car and immobilize remotely when in contact with police.

The unit was very well hidden, at least not visible, but no doubt it could be ripped out fairly quickly if the thief new about it.
Thanks DonR will look into this aswell

Also I live in Dandenong, vic. Not the best suburb as it once was before these dumb f*** kids started to learn how to steal cars
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:52 AM   #25
YA-91
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, 335 Convertible (SOLD)

Sounds like he was planning on smashing it up which is even worse, seeing your car damaged. Happened to me a while ago got the car smashed up pretty good. I just wish I can find the person who did it

He wont be coming back tonight that's for sure as he knows you saw his face. just lock up and get a sensor light in front of the garage which blinds any one trying to walk there.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #26
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Could be a jealousy thing and unfortunately have a greater chance to occur in dandy..

Sadly there isn't much you can do other than get the appropriate insurance and make sure security wise you're good. If someone really wants your car they will do anything to get it, though I'm a firm believer that they shouldn't strike twice unless they plain stupid.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:04 AM   #27
NeT335
Major
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeTiNQ View Post
Will look into cameras aswell while I'm at it tomorrow and also going to try do something about putting gates up aswell.

Can't believe I'm so paranoid
It sucks dude, I had my last car covered in house paint when I was living in the city.

Fortunately a neighbour knocked on the door to tell me, and because it was just water based paint it practically hosed off. I'm guessing some punks robbed someones shed, then went through the street seen my nice shiny black lexus and used a roller to paint most of the car, then they painted a neighbours fence.

Afterwards I was paranoid they would come back and use enamel paint or spray paint but fortunately they didnt come back.

Most crims wouldnt come back a 2nd time, he sounded like he was brazen not some smacked out ice addict who just would have ran and chances are he wont risk it again
Sorry to hear DR-JEKL. Some people just don't understand not to touch what's not theirs
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:05 AM   #28
NeT335
Major
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YA-91
Sounds like he was planning on smashing it up which is even worse, seeing your car damaged. Happened to me a while ago got the car smashed up pretty good. I just wish I can find the person who did it

He wont be coming back tonight that's for sure as he knows you saw his face. just lock up and get a sensor light in front of the garage which blinds any one trying to walk there.
I hope not.

Don't what I would do even if it got smashed up
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #29
NeT335
Major
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7smurfs
Could be a jealousy thing and unfortunately have a greater chance to occur in dandy..

Sadly there isn't much you can do other than get the appropriate insurance and make sure security wise you're good. If someone really wants your car they will do anything to get it, though I'm a firm believer that they shouldn't strike twice unless they plain stupid.
The guy looked like he would be that stupid to come back and try again. The smile I got from him is what is tripping me out aswell like as if he is saying "I will be back when you don't expect it next time"
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #30
kOncept
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

If I hear a sound outside my house I walk out with a big heavy maglite and a "gardening" tool in the other hand and stroll around for a while.

Do you have a dog? I've heard a story where a thief was arrested by police and when they searched him they found a map where he had marked the houses with dogs (obviously to avoid).
You don't need a big dog, any dog that barks to alert its owner(s) should be enough to deter some thieves.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #31
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
There are DIY GPS kits.

I video was posted on the Mighty Car Mods group - in New Zealand a guy had his car stolen, but he had a silent GPS system in it.

He tracked it on his phone with the Police, and when he got to the house he set the horn off (constant, until disabled), as the unit has a "fuel relay cutoff" switch which can be wired to any output - so you can wire it to the horn and then trigger the horn from your mobile.

In the video, he triggered the horn when he took the police to the house where they were hiding the stolen car in a shed out the back. They could then hear the horn and the police took over from there.

I will try and find the video.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #32
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Here it is:

I'm not worried about anyone stealing the e92. I'm pretty confident that the low level thugs won't outsmart the immobiliser, and if there are techhead guys that can outsmart it, well.... they're certainly going to beat any aftermarket system I'd be able to put in.

A silent GPS tracker would be ideal though - if they did manage to steal your car, they'd think they're off free.
They're not going to keep looking for a GPS tracker whereas, if they came across a car with an alarm that they couldn't start/steal, that's when they're likely to damage it trying, or in spitefulness.

If they took the car with a hidden GPS tracker, then you get to catch them by surprise... the look on their face when the Police knock on their door. LOL

Edit: A GPS tracker would be easier to install as well (I assume), as it'd only need a constant power source, and somewhere to tuck the antenna. If you hide it somewhere they can't get to easily, it won't be obvious when they tamper with the car.

I've installed a 2-way alarm on the e36 before and it was a nightmare tracking all the wires required for immobiliser, ignition, accessory, door locks, light outputs and antenna.

Last edited by Scotty89; 07-14-2015 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #33
NeT335
Major
Albania
Rep

Lol that was a good idea didn't think you could do that

Will be looking for a gps tracker today and possibly a kill switch aswell
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #34
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i 6MT

Garage List
A kill switch wouldn't do much. Unless they are pro's armed with INPA and a matching DME/cluster/ignition barrel/key fob to code on the spot, you pretty much need a tow truck to steal our cars.

You are more likely to be hijacked, that's why the hidden GPS is a great idea.

If your thief was armed with a metal pole, he was probably just looking for laptop or electronic devise for some quick cash.

Shit situation either way, let us know how you go with the GPS install/options.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #35
naynay
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 E92 335i FBO

Im in the middle of negotiating a deal with my supplier for some long life Gps trackers that can last up to 3 years on standby. Basically you have a sim car in it, it runs on the GSM network. When you send an sms to it, it pings back with the coordinates to your phone/webapp and it pin points the exact location. Comes with a high capacity battery to run on when your car is off.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 10:44 PM   #36
GerryH
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Adding additional Alarm

My car has no alarm fitted and it doesn't seem to have all the wireing for an OEM retrofit. No clown nose either. Is there a simple sytem that can be hooked up to the can bus and where is the best point to connect to the can bus. If I can have that work with the security sytem that is installed as standard it should be easy to add various protective ultrasonic triggers.
Cheers
Gerry
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:22 AM   #37
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Most likely just curious. I don't think he'll be back now that you've seen his face.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:25 AM   #38
NeT335
Major
Albania
Rep

I hope not woosh

Ended up buying the response gps tracking device from jaycar. Still haven't installed yet but hopefully will soon
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:12 AM   #39
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
I've got this system installed on my car:

http://www.compustar.com/

Gives me tracking and also remote start, lock etc via the Drone mobile app.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:36 AM   #40
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

These guys track in Australia. The units are GSM and GPS.

http://www.mtrackonline.co.uk/
Appreciate 0