E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Toe-In issue (pics)

01-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M

Toe-In issue (pics)

Hey guys, I just recently installed ST coilovers. I ordered some rims and tires but I wont be getting them for two weeks. I am having a major issue now with tire wear and very poor handling. Im dont know much about alignments but it looks like it can be a toe in issue. It is mostly coming from the rear passenger. I will be taking it in for an alignment asap now then getting one again when the new 19's come in.

Here are a few pics of whats going on. Please let me know what I can do temporaraly while I wait for the new rims and tires.

Thanks,

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Sidnito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 space 335i

im not expert, but i was working on my suspension the other day and i saw the camber adjustment, here is a link on what i am taking about. i have the same issue so im curious if anyone has any other method.
www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45284
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep

^ good find. Im not sure if i want to do this myself to tell you the truth. But i really dont want to spend $100 on an alignment now when i need a new one once my new rims come in.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javy View Post
^ good find. Im not sure if i want to do this myself to tell you the truth. But i really dont want to spend $100 on an alignment now when i need a new one once my new rims come in.
Getting new rims shouldn't dictate getting new alignment. Your alignment won't change when you change wheels. Unless you don't care about eating up your rear tires or plan to install new suspension pieces, you should get it fixed if you are concerned.

Total toe-in for the rear of 3/16" or 0.09" per side is what I had my rear toe adjusted to after suspension install.
      01-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
javy, the toe looks off because thats the lines of the car. i could take a picture of my car from the same angle and toe looks off as well, when it is not.

did you get an alignment (after install) and they told you that you had a toe issue?

Last edited by Express; 01-13-2012 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

whoever installed your suspension probably undid the inner rear control arm bolt which also sets camber, that's why it is off. Get a new alignment now to take care of it. You can switch wheels without affecting the alignment at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
whoever installed your suspension probably undid the inner rear control arm bolt which also sets camber, that's why it is off. Get a new alignment now to take care of it. You can switch wheels without affecting the alignment at all.
i installed it :P

and yes, the inner control arm bolt was removed.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoduffer View Post
Getting new rims shouldn't dictate getting new alignment. Your alignment won't change when you change wheels. Unless you don't care about eating up your rear tires or plan to install new suspension pieces, you should get it fixed if you are concerned.

Total toe-in for the rear of 3/16" or 0.09" per side is what I had my rear toe adjusted to after suspension install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
javy, the toe looks off because thats the lines of the car. i could take a picture of my car from the same angle and toe looks off as well, when it is not.

did you get an alignment and they told you that you had a toe issue?
Quote:
Thanks everyone for their responses. I just made some time during my lunch and took it to get an allignment. The guy is full till tomorrow morning. He did tell me he can align the car with no problem. He also did inform that going from 18's to 19's doesnt require me to take it back to him.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Sidnito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 space 335i

sounds good man, yeah i am actually installing new coilovers this weekend, so im gunna try and adjust that camber right as best i can and ofcourse do an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

you can actually install the coilovers without changing the rear camber by undoing only the outer rear lower control arm bolt (not the inner), but it makes it a lot harder to line everything up when putting it back. But it's possible, i've done it at least 3 times, and using a 2nd jack to lift the suspension makes it easier to line up the bolts.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
you can actually install the coilovers without changing the rear camber by undoing only the outer rear lower control arm bolt (not the inner), but it makes it a lot harder to line everything up when putting it back. But it's possible, i've done it at least 3 times, and using a 2nd jack to lift the suspension makes it easier to line up the bolts.
i had a very hard time getting the bolt out which is why i had to take the inner bolt out. it was not my first preference..
Appreciate 0