E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Things you didnt know about your 3 series.

03-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #1893
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverII View Post
the clock does not adjust for Daylight savings time
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #1894
umlaut
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Msport E90

Doesn't make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by umlaut View Post
My defrost wasn't working so I took it into the dealership. The mechanic said the defrost won't work if the battery isn't fully charged - apparently the car shuts down "nonessential" features when it has a low battery. Has anyone else come across this?
My battery is fine - it's just not at 100% as I would suspect no battery is after it's been sitting over night or even a few days. Once the engine starts, the alternator does it's job and things are great. Problem is, I need my defroster when I first start the car because that's when there's dew or ice on the back window - not after I've been driving it for 20 minutes. Another irritating factoid (according to Lithia) is that you can't engage the 'Max AC' button when it's "cool enough" outside. The button won't even light up. I feel like the car owns me - not the other way around! Help!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 01:08 AM   #1895
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by umlaut View Post
My defrost wasn't working so I took it into the dealership. The mechanic said the defrost won't work if the battery isn't fully charged - apparently the car shuts down "nonessential" features when it has a low battery. Has anyone else come across this?
Thi is true. For the last 2yrs my battery gave me warnings such as radio turning off 2 min after turning shut off engine also bluetooth conection would not stay on engine off. Defroster did not work and blower AC fan switching speeds. I recently replaced batter and all is back on like new
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #1896
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Thi is true. For the last 2yrs my battery gave me warnings such as radio turning off 2 min after turning shut off engine also bluetooth conection would not stay on engine off. Defroster did not work and blower AC fan switching speeds. I recently replaced batter and all is back on like new
The car will shut down all those sorts of functions if you're getting so low on battery charge that you'd be unable to start the engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #1897
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
The car will shut down all those sorts of functions if you're getting so low on battery charge that you'd be unable to start the engine.
Not really, i was able to start engine. Slow cranks at times but i was able for to do so for over 2yrs.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #1898
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not really, i was able to start engine. Slow cranks at times but i was able for to do so for over 2yrs.
Right. That's the point. If you'd run one of those features for a few minutes without starting the car, you'd have drained the battery low enough that you couldn't. That's why the system shuts them off.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #1899
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Right. That's the point. If you'd run one of those features for a few minutes without starting the car, you'd have drained the battery low enough that you couldn't. That's why the system shuts them off.
YES ur right, sorry my eyes are tired. Lol. Did u replace ur battery also?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #1900
RainKing
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport - Sedan

Great thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #1901
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Atlantis M3

i cant believe ive read all of this
      03-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #1902
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I just realized you could do point by point navigation.
      03-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #1903
shan_y33zy
Shani Patel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' 535i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong View Post
I wish we could press and hold the lock button on the key fob for like 10 seconds to close all windows and sunroof.
If you have CA, you just hold down the door lock ridges on the handle and window & sunroof will close. Sorry if this was mentioned already
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #1904
johmei
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Probably a good idea to get a new battery when your car start to shut down functions such as radio (after a very short time after engine off), welcome lights fail, "Rest" function. I had these "problems" along with the occasional "battery warning", just changed my battery (and registered it) and all systems as new.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #1905
jeb1517
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_y33zy View Post
If you have CA, you just hold down the door lock ridges on the handle and window & sunroof will close. Sorry if this was mentioned already
or you just get your car coded to be able to do it with the key FOB (along with mirrors)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #1906
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Sounds like the same problems I'm having. Can't leave the radio on when filling up, can't finish a converstation on the phone once I shut off the car, etc.

Problem is my car is only 2 years old! I expected more from BMW.

But to stay on topic.... I didn't know that the BMW's Brake Energy Regeneration system apparently only charges the battery "when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake", therefore even if you are driving the car it may not be charging the battery!

They even acknowledged that "today's vehicles require much more electrical energy than older models, due to the much wider array of electric and electronic on-board comfort and safety systems", yet they think allowing the generator to only be active at certain times somehow makes good sense????
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #1907
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Sounds like the same problems I'm having. Can't leave the radio on when filling up, can't finish a converstation on the phone once I shut off the car, etc.

Problem is my car is only 2 years old! I expected more from BMW.

But to stay on topic.... I didn't know that the BMW's Brake Energy Regeneration system apparently only charges the battery "when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake", therefore even if you are driving the car it may not be charging the battery!

They even acknowledged that "today's vehicles require much more electrical energy than older models, due to the much wider array of electric and electronic on-board comfort and safety systems", yet they think allowing the generator to only be active at certain times somehow makes good sense????
Yeah man its very interesting how the battery gets charges nowadays. Maybe they do this to take away load from alternator who knows..

Yeah man 2 yrs and needing a new battery already is BS, I m sure driving habits has to do with it. Do you do short trips most of the time? I do mostly highway and also always garaged in a warm place. This helped to prolong my battery life even though low battery warnings had been there since long time ago. I believe. The only reason my battery finally died was the fact that lately I parked outiside my garage in the cold and this definately killed it. oh well... 8 yrs cannot complaint right?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #1908
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
I didn't know that the BMW's Brake Energy Regeneration system apparently only charges the battery "when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake", therefore even if you are driving the car it may not be charging the battery!

I see where you're reading that, but there's absolutely no chance that it's strictly true. It'd make plenty of sense if the car PREFERRED to charge the battery under braking conditions, but if what's written was exactly correct, the car would die after a few hours on the highway.

The wording over here is a bit more forgiving. I think the idea is that the charge controller A. leaves room in the battery's SOC to recapture energy from braking, B. charges the battery more slowly from the alternator, or otherwise charges up only until there's a healthy amount of SOC left to go, then C. disconnects the charging load from the alternator during acceleration such that all your power goes to that.

I think the idea is basically like a bucket where it's intentionally left half or 2/3 full (so they simply spec a battery 1.5x the size compared to previous models). The idea is, if the battery SOC is 2/3, they call that "full" and stop alternator charging. However, there's still room to recapture braking energy, and if the braking energy keeps the battery >2/3, the alternator never gets used. And in general, even if the battery is charging, it stops momentarily during acceleration to prevent power sap from that process.

Assuming that's how it works, it's pretty smart overall. On the other hand, disconnecting the charging load from the alternator during acceleration is pretty much useless. The MAXIMUM electrical system load during operation is a couple horsepower, which is probably not noticeable, certainly not to your average driver.

Then again, maybe it's more like 5-7HP, which would be noticeable. But relieving the engine of 7HP means putting a ~500A draw on the battery for potentially 10-15s, which seems unreasonably high.

Anyway overall it's more gimmick than serious enhancement, but it's a pretty smart and clever gimmick that almost certainly isn't causing the kinds of drawbacks that wording suggests.
      03-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #1909
snowman81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_y33zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong View Post
I wish we could press and hold the lock button on the key fob for like 10 seconds to close all windows and sunroof.
Never knew about this one...thanks! Tried it today and like it, although tomorrow I'm gonna try my luck at coding my car to roll close windows/sunroof with key fob.
      03-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #1910
ibarry92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi

Interesting

Don't know if anything of these comments have already been mentioned...

On the HVAC center console system, the green lights mean anything that affects you (the driver) directly and the orange lights mean anything that affects the the car.

You can open the trunk without the key-fob or pressing the trunk release button on the inside. When the car is unlocked, you can pull the trunk as if you are opening it and it will unlock and open, at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #1911
Tone90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
It has been discussed before. Try this: get in car and place key fob into the slot, start engine with key fob in slot, turn off engine, take key fob out of slot and press the start engine button without the key fob in slot. You have to do it real quick, it gives you 15-30 seconds to restart the engine after you take the key fob out.

Dont know what was the reason for this. Give it a try.
Lol! I tried this and does work! Now can you drive without keyfob in slot?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #1912
ELiTeNeSs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

I don't know if this has been covered but if you hold down the START/STOP button for a couple seconds after driving, it will automatically eject the keyfob.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #1913
NH335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone90
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
It has been discussed before. Try this: get in car and place key fob into the slot, start engine with key fob in slot, turn off engine, take key fob out of slot and press the start engine button without the key fob in slot. You have to do it real quick, it gives you 15-30 seconds to restart the engine after you take the key fob out.

Dont know what was the reason for this. Give it a try.
Lol! I tried this and does work! Now can you drive without keyfob in slot?
Mine doesnt need the key in it ever. As long as its in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #1914
JET335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkUSMC View Post
I just realized you could do point by point navigation.
How do you set up point by point nav? ive tried to figure this out. but failed.