E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > MotorEasy Warranty.

07-18-2023, 02:29 PM   #1
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix Convetible

MotorEasy Warranty.

I know this isn't a BMW but please avoid buying extended warranty from companies like MotorEasy. They wouldn't pay for anything unless it's a "sudden Failure" Below is the story of my wife's car. This would apply to any make of car. They use any tactic not to pay.

I bought my car in February 2023 with 47,000 miles, and in March I took out a warranty for the car. Fast forward to June 2023, the car started performing really badly, and then the engine warning light came up. I stopped the car and called the AA. On arrival, the AA said the turbo has gone. I called up my local Jaguar dealer and had the car towed to them. Because I had a warranty with MotorEasy I opened a case with them. 3 weeks later the claim was rejected. The reason they gave was that the problem was there before I took the warranty out. Even though I didn't get any issues until the car warning light came on. Below is a section of the report that clearly stated why it failed.
"In our opinion, there is excessive noise present when the vehicle was briefly started, consistent with wear to the turbocharger central bushing. This would not be considered uncommon on this engine type and is well documented across the JLR platform, in which this same engine is utilised. Removal of the turbochargers would now be required to confirm their overall state. In any case, the condition is not the result of a sudden breakage. Taking into consideration the short amount of time and mileage elapsed since inception, we consider the conditions would have been developing at that point. Conclusion We can conclude that the vehicle is displaying common symptoms of wear to a turbo bushing. There was no evidence of any sudden component failure or breakage. The condition would have been developing at inception"

How did they know that the problem was there before I took out the warranty? They didn't even inspect the turbo. Also, if they're saying this is a known fault on JLR cars, then why not state that in the first place?

I have attached a copy of their terms and conditions for the warranty plan that I took. Any advice would surely be helping to fight this.
Update: Just got this email from them.

Dear David
Your warranty is Motor Easy Plan A, which is our most extensive cover. It covers all mechanical and electrical failures, apart from a very small number of exclusions on this cover, which are clearly highlighted in the plan.
You can review the full terms in your account area or via this link:
https://www.motoreasy.com/.../15409-ME_PolicyDocuments...
We have reviewed your claim but based on your warranty terms, we cannot cover the following failures under your warranty.
Your Turbo problem is not covered under your warranty because the part’s fault does not meet the definition of breakdown in your plan. As per the definitions section of your plan: Breakdown means the sudden and unexpected failure of a component arising from any permanent mechanical, electrical or electronic fault, which causes the component to stop working, and means that it needs repairing or replacing.
Customerrelations@motoreasy.com
Yours sincerely,
motoreasy
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 02:52 PM   #2
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

Yup, those warranties aren't worth the paperwork. I argued my customer's corner years ago (in my capacity as the inspecting garage) after a Tigra developed an AC leak on the evaporator - specifically on the leg of pipe going to the evap from the txv on the bulkhead.

They (warranty company - forget which but they're all as bad as each other) didn't want to pay because the leak was on a pipe which wasn't covered. I had to argue tooth and nail that the pipe was an integral part (vacuum brazed to the evap) of the evap and was therefore covered as the evaporator itself was covered.

Another time, different car different firm, I had an audi tt in. Driver's door lock mech knackered and wouldn't unlock. That is not an easy car to get the door card off in situ.

I eventually managed to get the door open and change the lock. Gave the warranty firm the bill and they threw it back at me quoting the book time to change a door lock which made no allowance for a failed unit that prevented the door being opened in the first place - despite this being noted in the additional report.

Stopped doing work for warranty firms after that. Very seldom get asked now and when I do I tell the customer they pay me, then they wrangle with their warranty firm for a refund.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 02:58 PM   #3
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix Convetible

Agree with your comment. Unfortunately for me, it's too late. I'm creating this post so that I can warn others not to make the same mistake as me.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 12:34 AM   #4
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Had a warranty from Motoreasy on the wifes Evoque. Went through their inspection all fine and warranty was set up. 6 months later we had an issue with smoke coming from the engine bay so arranged to have it looked at by one of their recommended dealers nearby.

Car goes in to be looked at and we get a phonecall from Motoreasy saying that the car is not covered for the fault and they then cancelled the policy on the spot and refunded the money! Strange company to deal with , would never go anywhere near them again.