E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Alpina $ Ppk Competition??

04-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #67
prima_materia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 335i Sedan XDrive LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBMW335I View Post
I don't know what it is about this xHP program but the more I drive the car, the better and crisper the shifts are getting.

It seems to be getting faster since I first ran it.
I noticed this as well, after a couple days of driving it's softened a bit on the WOT shifts, also the car feels to be working more in unison with the stage 3. I also noticed that downshifting when coming to a stop in M-mode isn't as abrupt/sudden and jerky as it was on the first day.
JB4 ISO Map 7 @ 20psi, MHD/BMS e85 BEF, ISO_14 Firmware, xHP Stage 3 TCU Flash, Flex Fuel Adapter, Rev3 Connect-Kit, 50% e85 mix/93 octane, K&N drop-in filter, ER Chargepipe, JB4 CAN-flap disabled, VRSF Catless DP, VRSF 7in. FMIC,
Appreciate 1
BKBMW335I156.50
      04-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #68
N54Operator
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90/E92 N54s

Quote:
No, I was told by Richard that the program will store all the data already on your ecu and you can simply flash this one and it'll work with whatever you already have because this flashes the "TRANSMISSION ONLY" (Sorry I'm not yelling, just trying to make it obvious)!!

MHD flashes your ecu/Engine!
Sweet, so a Cobb stage 1+ with this will work together? So if you have cobb stage 1+ flashed on your car you will not have to do anything besides flash this?

(Sorry guys new to the crew)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #69
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Operator View Post
Sweet, so a Cobb stage 1+ with this will work together? So if you have cobb stage 1+ flashed on your car you will not have to do anything besides flash this?

(Sorry guys new to the crew)
Yep, after you back up the TCU info in the xHP then you purchase the map(s) you want from their store and then flash away.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #70
YasF80_SLO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Nissan Versa S  [0.00]
Something I noticed, when shifting into first, in M mode, on the sport side of the transmission, at around 20 MPH, then comming to a coasting stop, no brakes, I feel a tiny bump from the engagements/disengagement of the TC, can anyone else confirm this on their car? It happens around 5 MPH after coasting for me.

im running Stage 3 XHP.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2017, 03:47 AM   #71
prima_materia
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_E92 View Post
Something I noticed, when shifting into first, in M mode, on the sport side of the transmission, at around 20 MPH, then comming to a coasting stop, no brakes, I feel a tiny bump from the engagements/disengagement of the TC, can anyone else confirm this on their car? It happens around 5 MPH after coasting for me.

im running Stage 3 XHP.
I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but when I'm in M-mode and coasting to a stop, going from 2nd to 1st - there is this sharp/sudden transition with a definite 'bump'. Usually for me when coasting to a stop in M-mode I just leave it in 2nd gear and don't bother with going to 1st.

I'm pretty sure xHP originally had the flash set up to downshift from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop, though later on in the thread they got rid of that and now it stays in 2nd when coming to a stop.
JB4 ISO Map 7 @ 20psi, MHD/BMS e85 BEF, ISO_14 Firmware, xHP Stage 3 TCU Flash, Flex Fuel Adapter, Rev3 Connect-Kit, 50% e85 mix/93 octane, K&N drop-in filter, ER Chargepipe, JB4 CAN-flap disabled, VRSF Catless DP, VRSF 7in. FMIC,

Last edited by prima_materia; 04-05-2017 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #72
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by prima_materia View Post
I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but when I'm in M-mode and coasting to a stop, going from 2nd to 1st - there is this sharp/sudden transition with a definite 'bump'. Usually for me when coasting to a stop in M-mode I just leave it in 2nd gear and don't bother with going to 1st.

I'm pretty sure xHP originally had the flash set up to downshift from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop, though later on in the thread they got rid of that and now it stays in 2nd when coming to a stop.
They should have it change to 1st when you get to 0 MPH.
The ZF8 does this in the B8.5 A4.
      04-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #73
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
I don't know what it is about this xHP program but the more I drive the car, the better and crisper the shifts are getting.

It seems to be getting faster since I first ran it.
It's not placebo, the transmission is adapting.

Everyone needs to give the flash a good 100 miles or so to fully adapt. That includes driving in all different types of settings, D, S and M. They will all adapt to a happy medium. If you dont drive in particular areas of the powerband/load/shift point those areas won't adapt as good.

If you are looking to make impressions of the flash or to determine how good it is, you need some miles on the car to fully grasp a conclusive result.

Little quirks that may happen the first time may smooth out later on through the adaptation process. If something felt abrupt it may soften up for the better. If something felt a little lazy it may quicken up, for example.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 04-05-2017 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 4
      04-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #74
prima_materia
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRigs View Post
They should have it change to 1st when you get to 0 MPH.
The ZF8 does this in the B8.5 A4.
I'm pretty sure if you email xHP or shoot them a pm on here they'd be able to help code that in for you? Don't quote me on that, but I wouldn't see why not, I'm sure it's not much issue to do.
Appreciate 1
BKBMW335I156.50
      04-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #75
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Honestly IMHO 1st gear is damn near unnecessary and I don't miss it nor have much use for it.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #76
Mikaeldarer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i N55

I only have one complaint about Stage 3. While driving in D, if I go WOT in 3rd or 4th and completely let off throttle before upshift it will hold the gear until I touch accel pedal. Anyone else have same experience? Not sure if it is holding gear intentionally to anticipate another WOT or issue with tune
      04-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #77
YasF80_SLO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Nissan Versa S  [0.00]
Quote:
Honestly IMHO 1st gear is damn near unnecessary and I don't miss it nor have much use for it.
I like to downshift into first for the engine braking effect/sound way cooler with the PPK and the exhaust. Plus taking off in first feels more natural and dosent slip the TC as much as in second.
Appreciate 1
BKBMW335I156.50
      04-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #78
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaeldarer View Post
I only have one complaint about Stage 3. While driving in D, if I go WOT in 3rd or 4th and completely let off throttle before upshift it will hold the gear until I touch accel pedal. Anyone else have same experience? Not sure if it is holding gear intentionally to anticipate another WOT or issue with tune
It has happened to me too, I think it does hold the gear like that for the exact same reason you stated.

When that happens I take my foot off the accelerator pedal and every now and then I'll shift to D mode where I know it'll drop the revs quicker.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #79
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive LCI sedan

Quote:

How is it so far compared to alpina?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 12:51 AM   #80
cwbmw
N55 noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92lci 335i

Garage List
Dammit, my droid mini doesnt support OTG need to find phone that does
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 05:24 AM   #81
prima_materia
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bours View Post
Honestly I couldn't tell ya, since I never had flashed alpina.

Certainly worth the money IMHO. The shifts are fast and crisp, though initially in the first 30 or so miles the shifts were relatively 'aggressive' and hit 'hard' - mainly in WOT. Things seemed to have settled in around 60+ miles and now I'm at 115 miles or so since the flash, and things are running beautifully, especially at WOT [shifts are fast and crisp without the initial 'hard and aggressive' characteristic].

Downshifts were a tad rough also - mainly in M-mode, though they've settled as well and now are much smoother [though fast], lending itself to feel more 'factory-like' versus before.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #82
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaeldarer View Post
This is normal. Even does it in Alpina.
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #83
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can't compare it to Alpina either since I've never had it but all I can tell you is that for some reason this morning it seems this tune has really set in.

There was a Mustang in my rearview about a 1/4 mile back and I can tell that he saw my car as he came from behind screaming on my rear bumper but the area we were in was full of construction and crowded with cars.

He stayed on my bumper in that are because it was only 2 lanes and bumper to bumper in certain areas, so I knew once we passed that zone there was a 3 lane junction ahead and no traffic that it would just be me and him.

I punched it a little bit just to make sure that he wanted to play, he did and he was on me for a sec and I do mean for a sec because once i just punched it he was so far in my rearview that I must have put 50 cars on him.

I thought he may have missed a gear or something so I decided to ride the speed limit and allow him to catch up, he did and I could tell he had a different mentality (as in "come on, let's do it now") because he flicked his lights, he didn't want to line up side by side. He flicked his lights again telling me to punch it so I obliged and this time it was even worse for him as I managed to put about 70 cars on him, he just gave up after that.

This tune has hit its' peak today and it has fully adapted to my driving style, without a doubt worth every penny spent.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 02:39 AM   #84
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I can't compare it to Alpina either since I've never had it but all I can tell you is that for some reason this morning it seems this tune has really set in.

There was a Mustang in my rearview about a 1/4 mile back and I can tell that he saw my car as he came from behind screaming on my rear bumper but the area we were in was full of construction and crowded with cars.

He stayed on my bumper in that are because it was only 2 lanes and bumper to bumper in certain areas, so I knew once we passed that zone there was a 3 lane junction ahead and no traffic that it would just be me and him.

I punched it a little bit just to make sure that he wanted to play, he did and he was on me for a sec and I do mean for a sec because once i just punched it he was so far in my rearview that I must have put 50 cars on him.

I thought he may have missed a gear or something so I decided to ride the speed limit and allow him to catch up, he did and I could tell he had a different mentality (as in "come on, let's do it now") because he flicked his lights, he didn't want to line up side by side. He flicked his lights again telling me to punch it so I obliged and this time it was even worse for him as I managed to put about 70 cars on him, he just gave up after that.

This tune has hit its' peak today and it has fully adapted to my driving style, without a doubt worth every penny spent.
Oh sounds amazing ! Love these kill stories!

How is D mode ? Cause in alpina m mode is amazing but d mode shifts at 1900 rpm and its annoying you cant imagine and its also jerky
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 02:44 AM   #85
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Honestly I couldn't tell ya, since I never had flashed alpina.

Certainly worth the money IMHO. The shifts are fast and crisp, though initially in the first 30 or so miles the shifts were relatively 'aggressive' and hit 'hard' - mainly in WOT. Things seemed to have settled in around 60+ miles and now I'm at 115 miles or so since the flash, and things are running beautifully, especially at WOT [shifts are fast and crisp without the initial 'hard and aggressive' characteristic].

Downshifts were a tad rough also - mainly in M-mode, though they've settled as well and now are much smoother [though fast], lending itself to feel more 'factory-like' versus before.

Cheers
Thx for the info bud
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 06:00 AM   #86
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh sounds amazing ! Love these kill stories!

How is D mode ? Cause in alpina m mode is amazing but d mode shifts at 1900 rpm and its annoying you cant imagine and its also jerky
I don't drive in D mode that often unless I'm just cruising around in town where the speed limit is no higher than 45, for the most part though cruising around at 30 is like a luxury drive..............it's so smoothed out in comparison to DS or M.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #87
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Apparently there's a new Update:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...002319955&fs=1
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #88
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_E92 View Post
Here is a copy of my review on the XHP thread for anyone on the fence about this mod.

Got the Stage 3 flash to work, with plenty of support from RBT-Tuning My car kept running into wierd issues, but they were able to get it straightened out for me. and im SUPER happy with the results. the no auto upshifts is honestly the greatest feature, the shifts feel super clean and crisp, and honestly im super happy about that.

To answer the question of should I get this instead of Alpina here is how im thinking about it. If you already have Alpina and Like it, stick with it.

if the Auto Upshifts bug you, get it.
if your RWD, and want the trans to handle more torque, get it
if you only drive in M mode, get it.
if your stock, but dont know how to flash alpina, get it
if you know how to flash alpina, try it first, then decide if you want XHP.

pros of XHP
No Auto Upshift, better burn outs, capability to drift
Marginally faster shifts in M mode vs alpina flash
Smoother shifts in M mode vs alpina flash
Better rev matching
supports SIGNIFICANTLY more power/torque
Allows customization of the TCU

Cons of XHP
Costs 200$ for Stage 3 ( the only stage I would get ) vs alpina which is free
will void your warranty

This is written by someone who only Drives in M mode, so take it with a grain of salt, and would be the reason why I didn't discuss either of the D or DS modes on either.

Another "PRO" to add was that even though this will void your warranty, you can simply Flash it back to Stock or Uninstall it and then reinstall or simply Re-flash it back on to your car and now it takes less time to install the program.
Appreciate 0