E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 water pump issue

07-29-2023, 06:54 PM   #1
Black_325i
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i N52 e90, 530D F10 N57

Garage List
E90 water pump issue

Hello all a few weeks ago I had a very weird experience with my e90. I had a yellow coolant overheating light come up and after 10 seconds it turned red despite this (went in limp mode I think lack of power alot) I had to get to work so I drove it 25 miles and let it rest for 12 hours but afterwards when I turned on I went to Halfords as quickly as possible and filled coolant and car ran very good (spoiler not later tho) and soon after at a red light check engine light came up and brake wasnt working it was flat to the floor even tho I wasn't even touching it and still car was running I quickly parked it and let it sit but when started in the parking lot it kinda went forward on a flat surface and brakes weren't working almost crashed into wall I had to slam parking brake and put in Park with gear, later I drove near 12 miles to a parking lot I knew was safe and let car sit for 3 weeks I bought a new water pump and thermostat bcuz those were symptoms and (coolant light on when started after 3 weeks) mechanic checked and said no problems??? I have been advised not to turn AC or fans on so haven't so far but still when car idles after a minute fan goes crazy loud even louder than a drill 2 metres away anyone know what happened?

Last edited by Black_325i; 07-30-2023 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: Left something out
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 04:50 AM   #2
dephrank
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI saloon

Something similar happened to mine recently. Amber temperature light. Fan would come on a soon as I started the engine in the mornings. Didn’t risk driving it so had the car recovered to BW Chiptune in Hayes. One water pump, a thermostat, fresh coolant and 2 days later, she’s fine.

The coolant system has to be bled so hopefully, the mechanic is familiar with the process on BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 12:48 PM   #3
Black_325i
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i N52 e90, 530D F10 N57

Garage List
Did you replace the water pump and thermostat?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 01:56 AM   #4
dephrank
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI saloon

Yes the water pump and thermostat were replaced.

Only the water pump failed but with these cars, one thing goes, the other component it works it, isn’t too far behind so best to change them all while you’re in there and save yourself the headache. My car’s on 136K miles.
Appreciate 0