E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Question: BMW Performance vs. Dinan vs. ???

08-31-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Neme636
Nemesis D. Prodigy
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan - Montego Blue

Exclamation Question: BMW Performance vs. Dinan vs. ???

Good Evening Everyone!

I brought my car in for some regularly scheduled maintenance, while there I started talking to my service advisor about performing all the upgrades Dinan had to offer for my car and how that would effect my warranty and maintenance plan.

He let me know that their dealership had just removed all Dinan catalogs and was reducing prices on all Dinan products in stock in an effort to get rid of everything Dinan. (Strut Braces were 30% off). This was due to the performance upgrades causing damage to cars and Dinan not heeding BMW's warnings, particularly in regards to their transmission because it was not made to handle more than 310hp.

My questions:
Has anyone upgraded their E90 to the Stage III software and started having issues with their car due to the upgrade? I have seen a few instances where the fuel pump has given out and was not sure if this was due to the upgrade, or the bad batch of fuel pumps.

Has anyone installed the BMW Performance recommended upgrades? The exhaust is the only performance enhancer, increasing the car's performance by 5hp.

This stuff is all new to me, I would like to know if there is a 'best practice' for getting the best performance engine wise from a '07 335i. Is it okay to perform all of the Dinan upgrades or is there another performance manufacturer to look at?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Nathan
      09-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Exclamation Useless BS and propaganda. OP please search around first.

Do not trust those guys, they have some kind of vested interests in BS-ing you about this. Dinan has a warranty too incase you are unaware. And... other tunes increase the performance a lot more than Dinan. Dinan is a conservative tune compared to what the other guys are doing so please before you believe all the propaganda. Information is power.
      09-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Hello! Welcome to the forum. All of your questions can be answered by using the "Search" function near the top right corner of the page. You'll find plenty of information to keep you busy.

+1 to what Vase said in the above post.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
ohten
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Yes busy and confused.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

actually all of you know i am a big dinan guy. and sadly most dealers are pulling away from dinan and dinan has recieved a letter from bmw. this is true and is happening. my dealer just did the same thing. they are pulling away from dinan. it really sucks. they are still doing maintenence but they aren't installing any new tunes. funny thing is bmw never had an official relationship with bmw . they had to crack the codes for the tunes. funny how my bmw with the tune runs smoother and is more precise and with more mpg than my 335 without the tune. it just really sucks how Bmw doesn't want to have them in their dealers. i guess a slew of things is about to come out for the 335. great just in time for winter!!! or spring with bmw's delayed rate. but i will say 2 years from now i hope we are all saying dinan who.. meaning bmw performance came out with some mean products. at the same time for all Dinan has done to promote bmw's and race bmw's. i would have thought bmw would have a lil more respect.. but everyone wants to improve there profits esp with bmw losing a ton on the euro/dollar alone. so in effect dinan has to go and a performance division is starting to launch more products. i will say my steering wheel is sick from bmw performance but i will take my tune over it any day.. but i would pay 2k for a tune from bmw.. it's not our fault they are way way way behind the ball. all they have an m3 they are trying to protect until they come out with things for it as well!!

this is deffinitly true because these people at the dealer are my friends i know 20 some names of the people that work there. i always update them on cool stuff i find out is comming out and what's going on. this sucks!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
Neme636
Nemesis D. Prodigy
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan - Montego Blue

Searched ...

I did do research before I posted my question ... I wanted to find out from people who had first hand experience with the Dinan performance upgrades, since I am aware of the bias that BMW Service Reps have.

I was planning on doing the Dinan recommended suspension upgrades, but before I do the Stage III upgrade I was hoping to get more information.

Also, thank you for letting me know about the Dinan warranty, I will look in to that.

Have a great evening!
Nathan
      09-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

I have no problems with my car. I have the oil cooler, intercooler, stage 2 flash and exhaust. My car handles the power just fine.
      09-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
ChuckBimmer
Liv'n the Dream
Rep
Drives: '08 335

I am very interested in your question. I am stuck between BMW performance vs Dinan. Since BMW does not have a flash I am scheduled to get the Stage III flash. I held off on the exhaust upgrade because I am undecided about BMW vs Dinan exhaust. Which one is superior or are they the same with a different sound?? .
Future: CAI
Appreciate 0