E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Next mod for e93 335i

11-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Next mod for e93 335i

So I am wondering what I should do with the e93 335i (n54). I only have the procede so far. I will be getting DCI, of course, but what is next?

This is my daily driver and I have no real intention of tracking (it is the convertible after all!), might do it for a bit of fun once or twice, but yeah, the main reason for modding is to simply increase that intoxicating 'pushed back into your seat' acceleration when daily driving.

Andrew suggested LSD as a next step, which is a good idea, but I'm not sure how much it will actually impact on my day to day driving.

Anyone have any other thoughts? What about an FMIC as the next mod?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Meth or downpipes, but that will be taking it up a notch and you should follow with a larger FMIC.

If you're not keen, perhaps just mid pipes and exhaust for a more sporty feel.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep

I know meth seems to be the best 'bang for buck' (as per forums), but from a daily driver perspective, is it that practical?

How does it work exactly, do I need to keep filling up the meth 'bottle', how quickly to I burn through the meth, is it something people actually use 'daily', I must admit it does sound a bit 'racer' to me

and with reading the forums, mainly US, what sort of downpipes can we use in AU (legally), ie it seems most in the US are using '' catless " downpipes, which I dont think we can use here.

As I stated the primary goal is to feel more 'oomph' when I press down on the accelerator, if I were to get AU legal downpipes as a next mod, would I feel that?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by purifyer View Post
I know meth seems to be the best 'bang for buck' (as per forums), but from a daily driver perspective, is it that practical?

How does it work exactly, do I need to keep filling up the meth 'bottle', how quickly to I burn through the meth, is it something people actually use 'daily', I must admit it does sound a bit 'racer' to me

and with reading the forums, mainly US, what sort of downpipes can we use in AU (legally), ie it seems most in the US are using '' catless " downpipes, which I dont think we can use here.

As I stated the primary goal is to feel more 'oomph' when I press down on the accelerator, if I were to get AU legal downpipes as a next mod, would I feel that?
Meth and kittyless DPs will both pose serious problems for your warranty - this is a factor you must consider. I myself would not go the meth route just because of warranty issues.

Downpipes will also give you a noticeable gain in performance, but again warranty is a huge barrier.

FMIC should not cause any issues with warranty - so logically this is your only 'safe' option.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

There's not really a lot more you can do for more oomph without taking drastic measures such as DP's and Meth. Anything else will give you less bang for your buck. If you were real keen, you could fit hiflo catted DP's and a large FMIC and sports exhaust, probably looking at $6k fitted.

Meth comes on when you are in high boost and will last about 2 months before topup. Both meth and catless DP's are off road use only
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #6
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm pretty sure my car goes out of warranty next month (jan 08 build) so.. thats a positive in a way ()

Slightly off topic but whats the deal with our HPFP failures? Do we have a 10 year warranty like the americans? Or we're SOOL once the 3 year warranty expires?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 02:40 AM   #7
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Go with catted downpipes and/or possibly hi-flow cats.

A freer flowing exhaust system will also help as xsboost mentioned.

Usually FMICs are pretty capable units from the factory and are only upgraded much further down the track (on other vehicles), is the N54 intercooler not that capable of big power numbers? Or is it a misconception that replacing the FMIC will give you massive gains..?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 03:29 AM   #8
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Go with catted downpipes and/or possibly hi-flow cats.

A freer flowing exhaust system will also help as xsboost mentioned.

Usually FMICs are pretty capable units from the factory and are only upgraded much further down the track (on other vehicles), is the N54 intercooler not that capable of big power numbers? Or is it a misconception that replacing the FMIC will give you massive gains..?
Yes, catless DPs would provide the biggest gains for you at this stage. PROcede autotuning will detect the mod and automatically up the boost.

Stu, the stock FMIC on N54 cars are ill-equipped to handle high boost and extreme driving. Our intercoolers are very prone to heat-soak especially on hot track days.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep

I thought that catless DPs were illegal in au but reading a few posts eg

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390439 (WOPALX's similar thread 7 months ago)

it seems that its 'legal' for catless DPs and high flow secondary cats ? http://www.**********s.com/AR-Design...335i-335xi.htm (and if catless I assume I need the O2 sims as well)

and are these the high flow secondary cats people are talking about ? (Eg)
http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=59959

This doesnt seem very expensive, ~$800 for the downpipes, ~$200 for the high flow cats and an FMIC appears to be another ~$1k. Plus mail plus labour of course, but I cant imagine the mail costs to be >1k, so labour to install downpipes, secondary high flow cats and FMIC is projected to cost ~3k? sounds a bit much

If everyone else agrees that (1) catless DPs are street legal (2) this is a good idea, Ill probably buy the above (+ DCI of course) and get andrew to install it all for me (might get the quaife at the same time )
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Ok so I've looked into it a bit more and here are my findings!

1. WOPALX was looking at catted DPs not catless DPs by the way.
2. Just cause some guy on the forums says they are legal, don't use me as an excuse if you get into trouble :P
3. For all cars introduced in 2008 onwards, they need to comply with ADR79/02. This is equivalent to 'Euro 4' emissions standards. This basically means the car must produce no more than 0.1g per km of hydrocarbons, 1g/km of carbon monoxide and 0.08 of nitric oxide per km. A cat
4. When we refer to hi-flow cat, it basically means any cat convertor with a lower cell count, really low being about 100cell, reasonably low being 300cell. Doesn't necessarily mean the magnaflow one in the link above, all you have to do is choose what cell count you want and make sure the ID (inlet diameter) is the same as your exhaust piping. This will avoid you having to add an awkward flange to make it fit.
5. Long story short, YES having hi-flow cats are legal as long as they are ADR approved to either ADR79/02 standards OR Euro4 emissions standards. The US items will say 'EPA' compliant, but some manufacturers will list all their standards and just look out for ones advertising Euro4 compliance.
6. You will need O2 sims to avoid a CEL. These are relatively inexpensive and should be fitted at the same time as the new DPs.
7. With regards to the AR DPs in the **********s link, no difference between catted DPs and catless WITH the hiflow cat following. I would prefer the latter route for reasons explained below.

I will be purchasing catless headers (when I decide on a brand).
I will then purchase hi-flow cats that are Euro4/ADR79/02 compliant.
Also, with the original cats being hidden away in our headers/downpipes, in our N52/N54 engines respectively, it's a lot less obvious that they are missing and what I like about running secondary cats, albeit hi-flow, is that there is SOMETHING to show for it should the po-po be asking any questions.
As an example of hi-flow cats which are Euro4 legal, I was recently looking at purchasing Tomioka Hi-Flow Cats for my gf's evo, these are 100cell and cost about $300.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:40 AM   #11
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep

uhoh im on a spending spree

last few days bought;
BMW rear seat protector
wind deflector
Stett CAI
AR design catless DP

I think I may as well just buy an FMIC now as well

my question with the catless DP - whats the deal with the secondary cats? I assume I already have stock secondary cats, will changing them to high flow make that much difference? I understand the catless DP is going to change the sound of the car quite a lot, and if anything I would prefer a quieter car (ie I do not want high flow secondary cats for extra noise)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #12
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Cat's aren't really there to suppress noise, I don't believe there will be any major changes in noise from a volume perspective.
The nature of the larger diameter DPs will make the exhaust note slightly louder, and then you have to look at the next weakest link in the system in order to get more power.
Which will be the secondary cats...
Then it'll be the stock centre resonator and muffler which are too restrictive...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #13
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

... and I never knew a tuned N54 could put out such big numbers! Time to start saving for one
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #14
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
uhoh im on a spending spree

last few days bought;
BMW rear seat protector
wind deflector
Stett CAI
AR design catless DP

I think I may as well just buy an FMIC now as well

my question with the catless DP - whats the deal with the secondary cats? I assume I already have stock secondary cats, will changing them to high flow make that much difference? I understand the catless DP is going to change the sound of the car quite a lot, and if anything I would prefer a quieter car (ie I do not want high flow secondary cats for extra noise)
Those catless DPs are gonna make some noticeable gains - you won't regret it. PROcede works much better without a restrictive exhaust. Noise wise, not so much.

Quote:
Cat's aren't really there to suppress noise, I don't believe there will be any major changes in noise from a volume perspective.
The nature of the larger diameter DPs will make the exhaust note slightly louder, and then you have to look at the next weakest link in the system in order to get more power.
Which will be the secondary cats...
Then it'll be the stock centre resonator and muffler which are too restrictive...
purifyer, didn't realise that you were in an E93. In that case, the BMW performance exhaust is a MUST. The sound of the N54, especially with the roof down is glorious.

I believe the perf zorst changes the midpipes and deletes one of the secondary cats as well. The muffler is also much less restrictive, which addresses the issues mentioned by Stuart above.

Quote:
... and I never knew a tuned N54 could put out such big numbers! Time to start saving for one
Everyone on the road seems to hold this exact sentiment

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

You will see the full potential of your N54 engine with a catless downpipe and FMIC setup for your next performance modifications. The AR Downpipes will give your N54 an exotic and aggressive exhaust note as well as a significant boost in horsepower. These downpipes also virtually eliminate turbo lag, and will make your car's engine even more responsive. I'll go ahead and shoot you over a PM with more details!

- Alan
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #16
cent778
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Personally I would have the cattless D/P installed and then decided if you want to modify/change the remainder of the exhaust.
The cattless D/P will deepen the exhaust tone a fair bit and a tiny bit of rasp is evident at mid rpm under WOT.
Ideally a duel 2.5inch system should be able to support a 400whp engine.
Inserting a cat back system into the equation brings limited gains +/-8hp.
But also brings excessive noise levels, smell and drone if your an A/T.
As for resonators, the stock units on e92/e93 have none.

Upgrading the FMIC is a wise move.
Consistent power is on hand after repetitive 3rd, 4th gear pulls where the stock unit will heat soak in no time.

Meth is also a great mod when chasing big HP levels (I never went down this route). But there are also pros and cons.
I'm sure guys with experience with meth can offer some advice.

Mod in stages and find where you're comfortable at (balance is the key).

Happy modding and peace out
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 01:56 AM   #17
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep

So I have bought and am waiting for;

Stett CAI
Helix FMIC
AR catless DP's

And will get andrew to install LSD at same time

Anyone want to wager how much more woosh im going to experience with these mods? Im having e93 regret ;(
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 05:52 AM   #18
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Quote:

Stett CAI
Helix FMIC
AR catless DP's

Anyone want to wager how much more woosh im going to experience with these mods? Im having e93 regret ;(
I have basically the same mods, but haven't gotten around to fitting the downpipes.
Why do you regret the e93?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #19
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Weight difference to coupe maybe?.........210kgs difference requires alot more hp/tq to achieve similar results.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #20
V1_R
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [10.00]
speaking of E93 Mods... what would you recommend for this badboy?

http://www.pickles.com.au/damaged/ve...otid-552117139
      12-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #21
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Stett CAI
Helix FMIC
AR catless DP's

If you want power from your tune, a short ram DCI is the best. FMIC and catless DPs should give you some noticeable shove.

Appreciate 0