E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > transmission downshift auto Xdrive

10-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #1
stevenh44
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW R1200R

transmission downshift auto Xdrive

When I slow down to stop, I can hear the transmission downshift from 2 to 1. Example when you go from park to drive or reverse you can hear the change. Is this normal while driving?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 lci 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenh44 View Post
When I slow down to stop, I can hear the transmission downshift from 2 to 1. Example when you go from park to drive or reverse you can hear the change. Is this normal while driving?
if you are just referring to hearing the "chunck" sound when the downshift from 2nd to 1st first happens. It is normal I hear it everything morning getting out of the driveway and I have a trans flash. Unless we both need need trans fluid or something lol
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
stevenh44
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW R1200R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewe92 View Post
if you are just referring to hearing the "chunck" sound when the downshift from 2nd to 1st first happens. It is normal I hear it everything morning getting out of the driveway and I have a trans flash. Unless we both need need trans fluid or something lol
I recently did two drain and fills and new filter. Also, did transmission adaptation reset through my Indy Porsche/BMW shop. For about 200 miles, wasn't all that smooth shifting ( had me worried) but now is becoming very smooth shifts from 2 through 6. 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 have always and still are much different than I'm used to with previous cars. But often there is a metal to metal sound ( wouldn't say clunk but less off of a sound ) when slowing to a red light and car is downshifting for the last time before complete stop. Almost, every time i slow down, not just the first gear change in the morning
This transmission flash you speak of , did you notice a difference? how much did it cost?
thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 11:02 PM   #4
DaZuc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenh44 View Post
I recently did two drain and fills and new filter. Also, did transmission adaptation reset through my Indy Porsche/BMW shop. For about 200 miles, wasn't all that smooth shifting ( had me worried) but now is becoming very smooth shifts from 2 through 6. 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 have always and still are much different than I'm used to with previous cars. But often there is a metal to metal sound ( wouldn't say clunk but less off of a sound ) when slowing to a red light and car is downshifting for the last time before complete stop. Almost, every time i slow down, not just the first gear change in the morning
This transmission flash you speak of , did you notice a difference? how much did it cost?
thanks!
He is referring to the Alpina flash which is not applicable to the transmission in a 328 only the ZF 6HP19TU/6HP21

On another note I get a noise as well from 2nd to 1st but only when the car is not up to normal operating temps. When the cars been running for a bit, no issues.
Appreciate 0