E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > The $350 dollar coilover thread

03-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #221
mentos876
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06' BMW e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
First of all your a Noob. Yes i do. I just assume people who are fortunate to have a nice vehicle would put decent to high quality parts on their cars. Putting springs on stock shocks have nothing to do with safety. They just wear the shocks out more.

You can't compare an Audi to a BMW.

im sorry , but are u the guy with ebay and spray painted side skirts and cheap "acshnitzel" rear bumper on your car ?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #222
mentos876
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06' BMW e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
If your in Chicago and hate it so much why don't you just leave. Don't bash the city and say its "SHITCAGO"...

Haters gonna hate.
i just simply cant stand your posts . shall i "just leave" sir ?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #223
Tin
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

Any update?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #224
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Any update?
Hey, Ok heres what i can say so far.

For the whole kit itself, i dont regret it what so ever (for now).

Pros: 1.Dropped car to pretty much where i would want it.
2.Ride is pretty good if not maxxed out.
3. less body roll and tighter cornering
4.No rust/ shocks are still working.
5.No noises/clunks/squeaks.

Cons: 1. ride isnt all that great, but not to bad. Then again i cant see any lowered car riding well. On smooth roads its perfect.
2.adjusting kinda sucks having 1 C-spanner wrench included. You'll need 2 or find a friend with one.
3. i think its slightly more bouncy but my friends say not at all.
4. *not a problem with coilovers* The location of rear adjustable spring perches are in a such a bad place. Its hard to adjust and takes some time.

I mean honestly its a pretty good kit for the money. A couple of my friends say it rides way better then a "spring only" mod on their cars. By no means does this kit ride like shit. maybe if the road is shit, but then even OEM suspension rides like shit on bad roads. This is just my opinion, i dont want to be held responsible for someone else buying the kit and having them have a totally different situation. Ive had a pretty good experience thus far.

In my opinion, If someone is trying to make their car look better and want to adjust their height level, then these are perfect. Why go through the trouble of putting new springs on old shocks? When everyone knows that lowering springs can cause old shocks to blow, then needing to replace all shocks and going through that process again. Lowering springs and upgraded shocks is a great combination for longevity, performance and comfort. It also is slightly more expensive then these coilovers. I do feel that most member buy coilovers just to lower their car and never see a track. People who buy KW V1 or ST coilovers spend almost 3-4 times as much vs. these coilovers. Higher reputable coilovers cost almost 9-10 times as much. I guess im not that type of person to buy a $3000-4000 big brake kit to look at it in a parking lot.

And no, i dont feel in danger what so ever, I dont feel like the coilovers are going to explode, and i dont feel like im putting anyone in danger. Once you get past the fact these are cheap, you'll see these coilovers are at least VERY decent to maybe even good. The goal was to get rid of the wheel gap....and it did yay.

Last edited by idrift4wd; 03-31-2013 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #225
Black Mamba
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328xi

Garage List
I mean I wanna lower my car and I don't have all that money To buy coils but I rather buy top of the line Springs then cheap coilovers any day I mean after spending that much money on a car I wouldn't want to put anything cheap into it. buying a BMW is in just buying a car is also making investments and I feel like those cheap coilovers would just ruin something else if they fail... thats just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #226
blingman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3er

In your Edit #2 pictures, how many threads left before you reach max bottom or is that max bottom?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #227
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
Cons: 1. ride isnt all that great, but not to bad. Then again i cant see any lowered car riding well. On smooth roads its perfect.
clearly u have not tried a quality set of coilovers before
      04-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #228
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
I mean I wanna lower my car and I don't have all that money To buy coils but I rather buy top of the line Springs then cheap coilovers any day I mean after spending that much money on a car I wouldn't want to put anything cheap into it. buying a BMW is in just buying a car is also making investments and I feel like those cheap coilovers would just ruin something else if they fail... thats just my opinion
Just saying, springs are about 200-300 bucks, putting them on your stock shocks isnt the best idea as they will fail or blow/leak prematurely. Many members say the ride sucks aswell, with the fact they cant adjust it.

unless you match the springs up with some shocks, its the only way to properly do it. i had H&R race springs that i was going to match up with sport shocks, but the ride would have sucked as the shocks are defiantly not made for race springs. Shock upgrades range from 450-650 bucks, adding to the spring amount would cost alot more then these coilovers. You might as well buy some better coilovers for that money.

installing is the same and alignment applied to both applications.

But people will prefer different things. The reputation of higher quality coilovers should sway people away from these. Suspension isnt something you can really visibly see, so unless you put some stickers on your car promoting it or showing off what you got, people probably wouldnt know. These work and arent to bad. Im not saying these are better or worse, but id prefer a coil-over system vs a spring only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingman View Post
In your Edit #2 pictures, how many threads left before you reach max bottom or is that max bottom?
about 4-5 threads. went down 4-5 from edit #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
clearly u have not tried a quality set of coilovers before
ive gone for a couple rides of e90post members cars with suspension upgrade. a members KW v2 felt okay, his car wasnt slammed but ride felt decent, slightly rougher then OEM. Not like its more comfortable then oem, it doesnt eat up pot holes like a lexus at all.

Last edited by idrift4wd; 04-01-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #229
u170who
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 330I

I just don't understand spring only upgrades. ride quality and handling goes out the window. I wouldn't sacrifice my beautiful German handling for that.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #230
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

lol at the comment above saying that on smooth roads its perfect...on smooth roads it would ride perfect on struts made of concrete on concrete tires.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #231
SirHoward
Captain
Rep
Drives: Da Car I Wanted

Is it only BMW's you can't go "Springs" only?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 04:26 AM   #232
d1zzee
Romania
Rep
Drives: 320D 2005

Installed mine, not that pleased with the drop in the front, and its maxed. The ride is stiff but not bouncy, compared to my oem sport shocks I kinda like it. the guy who installed it sayd it's crap compared to the cheaper TA-TECHNIX coilovers. I'll post a pic after I park it somewhere leveled.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #233
SuperBmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1zzee View Post
Installed mine, not that pleased with the drop in the front, and its maxed. The ride is stiff but not bouncy, compared to my oem sport shocks I kinda like it. the guy who installed it sayd it's crap compared to the cheaper TA-TECHNIX coilovers. I'll post a pic after I park it somewhere leveled.
Take out the helper spring and you will go a lot lower You can also remove the bottom locking collar if it's not enough it shud easily give you another full inch
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #234
d1zzee
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBmw View Post
Take out the helper spring and you will go a lot lower You can also remove the bottom locking collar if it's not enough it shud easily give you another full inch
what would you suggest for locking the bigger collar if the small one is removed?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #235
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
what would you suggest for locking the bigger collar if the small one is removed?
idk, i guess you cant. i would just try max its out best as possible. have the locking nut, lock to the last thread.

i want really want to see your car! and tell us how you like it!

do you think its rough? daily driving for me is a little rough for my taste, but livable(on uneven roads)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #236
SuperBmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

First remove the helper spring. It will give you 1.25" inches of room to go lower. This should be more than enough.

If that is not enough, you can remove the bottom locking collar and set the one leftover collar to the lowest position. When the top collar is at the lowest position, the bottom collar isn't necessary anymore. The collar gives you almost 0.25" more more.

So in total you can go 1.5" inches lower, but I think removing the helper spring and going a bit lower will be more than enough for you so you won't need to remove the collar.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #237
d1zzee
Romania
Rep

photos of the car and the front shock
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #238
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
photos of the car and the front shock
WOW your car looks great! i love your wheels!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #239
J3NGOe90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6speed MT only!

Quote:
please entertain me.

wait so coilovers have to be 1000 dollars to be good? so the price justifies the product? have you personally had these on your car? is my car going to be to dangerous to drive? so many questions. Please, your opinion on here is that everyone should run BC coils because obviously they are the best and nothing else in the market is worth it and you need 10-11"+ rims to be considered "nice". Last time i checked it was my car im putting these on, not yours. when i have the fund to spend 2-3k+ on a set of rims one day i will. coming from a person with a godspeed aka ebay intercooler, you should know what bang for the buck is.

im not telling people to buy these, or saying not to buy them, just giving my overall experience with them.

"I did not come here to show out, did not come here to impress you"
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #240
d1zzee
Romania
Rep

Quote:
WOW your car looks great! i love your wheels!
Thx, the ride after a couple of days feels better... 1st day the car was like a tram, now the bumps are absorbed much better and with less drama. the shitty thing is with the speed bumps, when coming off them, the car is like.. free falling. As for the quality, time will tell,

oh, and the back shocks are KYB, I swapped them in 5000km ago and decided to keep those, the JOM one didn't look to good when I pressured them, the metal rod wasnt coming up that liniar
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #241
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
oh, and the back shocks are KYB, I swapped them in 5000km ago and decided to keep those, the JOM one didn't look to good when I pressured them, the metal rod wasnt coming up that liniar
if the shock has higher rebount valving, the metal rod won't come up very quickly at all once it's depressed. My konis took like 10 minutes for the shaft to extend back out all the way after I manually pushed them down (before they were installed).

Also, it looks like you've still got room to lower the front a bit - I can see 3 threads or so.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #242
d1zzee
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
if the shock has higher rebount valving, the metal rod won't come up very quickly at all once it's depressed. My konis took like 10 minutes for the shaft to extend back out all the way after I manually pushed them down (before they were installed).

Also, it looks like you've still got room to lower the front a bit - I can see 3 threads or so.
yeah but I risk the lower ring slippin' and then both springs would come down during normal driving, i'll keep it this way, i managed to enter the underground parking at work, so i'm satisfied. all is good
Appreciate 0