E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Installing the Factory E90 Alarm

02-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #529
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
Question

Has anyone purchased the BMW Alarm Retrofit kit recently? And if so, do you recall the part numbers of the individual components contained within that kit?

The retrofit kit PN 65120403658 hasn't changed since the OP posted this DIY in 2005, but the individual components have been revised over the years; specifically, the Ultra Sonic-Modules' fifth revision is now PN 65759244134, and the Alternative Power Sirens' sixth revision is now PN 65759243750.

So I'm curious if the retrofit kits' individual components have been updated to reflect the latest parts revision.

Buying the latest parts separately new would come out roughly $120 more expensive over the kit, so the question is whether any of the revisions are significant enough to warrant purchasing them individually over older revisions that may still be contained within a retrofit kit.
      02-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #530
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
Has anyone purchased the BMW Alarm Retrofit kit recently? And if so, do you recall the part numbers of the individual components contained within that kit?

. . .

So I'm curious if the retrofit kits' individual components have been updated to reflect the latest parts revision.

. . .
Hmmm . . . Does it really matter?

I bought my kit from Circle BMW last month. I have no idea if the parts were the most recently updated versions or not BUT the kit worked fine after it was properly programmed.

The only way I can think of to be sure you're getting a kit w/the most recent parts in it, is to order it from your local dealer and part check it before you accept the kit. You'll be paying more but then you can be sure you have the parts you want. However, I don't think any mail order supplier would be willing to part check the kit before selling it to you, but you could ask.

Good luck!
      02-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #531
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingshiftworker View Post
Hmmm . . . Does it really matter?
That's my question, and the purpose of my post: does it matter?

Quote:
I bought my kit from Circle BMW last month. I have no idea if the parts were the most recently updated versions or not BUT the kit worked fine after it was properly programmed.
I am not questioning if the kit "works" or not, as that's not the concern.

The question is why did BMW make so many revisions to the two important components: Is it because there were security concerns, such as discovered defeats which could have rendered the system susceptible to those who knew how to exploit the holes?

For the "siren" component, RealOEM/ETK descriptions indicate that it also incorporates an inclination indicator: could revisions have addressed certain exploits related to lifting one end of the vehicle? Or were these to adjust the sensitivity in cases of legitimate towing without the means of deactivating the alarm (illegally parked, for example)?

This is a security system, so it's important to me to understand if the kit may not have the newest provisions for providing the utmost secure vehicle.
      02-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #532
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is a security system, so it's important to me to understand if the kit may not have the newest provisions for providing the utmost secure vehicle.
I haven't heard of any known defects in the alarm kit that were the reasons for any parts revisions and the only way I think that you can find this out is to ask someone connected w/BMW.

FWIW, any alarm system can be defeated by a knowledgeable car thief. It will not protect your car from every possibility of theft. For example, if they want your wheels, all they have to do to disable the siren is cut away the rear driver's side wheel well material (which can be done w/a sharp knife and/or brute force) and then cut or disconnect the wiring). The car can then be jacked up and the tires removed w/o a sound. If they want your entire car and have a tow truck, they can also tow it w/o a sound by 1st disabling the siren and they can then strip it and sell the parts on eBay later at their leisure.

So, again, I don't think it really matter what parts are in the kit as long as the alarm works as it supposed to work, which you can test after it's installed and programmed.
      02-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #533
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
FWIW, any alarm system can be defeated by a knowledgeable car thief. It will not protect your car from every possibility of theft.
Yes, I understand that no security system is foolproof, but it certainly is prudent to ensure you have the latest components if revisions had been made by the factory to address security issues.

Quote:
For example, if they want your wheels, all they have to do to disable the siren is cut away the rear driver's side wheel well material (which can be done w/a sharp knife and/or brute force) and then cut or disconnect the wiring). The car can then be jacked up and the tires removed w/o a sound.
Actually, on my lowered vehicle with 19x9.5 wheels out back, there is absolutely no way anyone can get their hand, let alone their hand holding any cutting tools, into the wheel well where the siren is located above the tire to cut away that portion of the splash guard to access the siren, assuming they know precisely where to cut. And if they have that much time on their hands to raise the vehicle for clearance without triggering the alarm (or triggering it hoping they can disable the siren quickly enough), cut the splash shield then snip the siren wire, the vehicle is too remotely located to be secured against theft to begin with anyways.

But that's besides the point: alarm systems are meant to deter thefts of opportunity, and not against thieves equipped with heavy equipment with the vehicle located out-of-sight and/or beyond ear-shot. It is with the former situation that I want to best protect myself against.

It's all about situational awareness when parking your vehicle strategically against theft.
      02-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #534
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, I understand that no security system is foolproof, but it certainly is prudent to ensure you have the latest components if revisions had been made by the factory to address security issues.
Suit yourself.

It doesn't matter to me but, since it obviously does to you, hopefully you can find someone here or at BMW that can help you obtain the info you want.

Good luck! EOM.
      03-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #535
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
Well, I didn't find anyone who could shed light on the different versions, including my contacts at dealerships. But I found a brand new latest generation siren on eBay for $80 shipped, then a latest gen ultrasonic module used but out of a 2013 E82 where the seller actually didn't know that the rear overhead light panel he was selling actually had the module attached: he even listed the PN that was on the module as being the PN for the overhead light panel. I scored that one for a measly $45.

Coupled with all brand new hardware, the hurt to my pocket book was only $160 total, with everything brand new, except the ultrasonic which was less than a year old.

Installed and coded the CAS, DWAI, and DWAS modules successfully and all works just fine.

Now if I can figure out how to get it to chirp when I disarm my non-iDrive car (chirps once when arming)...
      03-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #536
is_niice
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything

Can someone please sell me their kit?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #537
kofiboadi
Rep
Drives: 335I Convertible

How do you operate the alarm , with the oem keyfob or a separate key? If the oem fob , did you have to program it to work with the alarm?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #538
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

I did this update to my 2007 E92. Got the kit + auto dimming/alarm rearview mirror from an extract-your-part salvage yard from a wrecked 2013 E92. The guys didn't know what the kit was and I paid only $40 plus the mirror. Works perfectly with my key after coding and the mirror blinks.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 04:18 PM   #539
kofiboadi
Rep

How did you code it? Inpa?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #540
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofiboadi View Post
How did you code it? Inpa?
No, I used ISTA-P in which you select conversion-alarm-system and it does its thing (updates Vehicle Order Number, etc). Works with my key and car beeps/side lights flash upon arming/disarming. The rear-view mirror clown nose blinks when car is armed. It's like the car had the system from factory. I think you can also code with NCSExpert. INPA is for diagnosis (like INSTA-D or DIS).

By the way, it worked with my key even before coding. But I think the mirror did not blink.

Last edited by musa; 09-20-2016 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 06:40 AM   #541
kofiboadi
Rep

Do you have a copy of ista p you can share? And how much did you buy the alarm system for , and where?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #542
Nicky92
Fastest 335 on Earth
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Bump,

You can use the Carly App to turn this on
E92 335i, 6MT- YouWish Single turbo, Precision 6466, Doc Race intake manifold w/port injection, Precision Raceworks coil packs and Stage 3 lpfp, 3.46 geared Mfactory LSD, VRSF 3.5" single exhaust, Toyo R888Rs, Spec Stage 3+ clutch, DSS axles, RTD shifter, Motiv, boost box and flex fuel, WOTBOX, MOTIV tuned...and much more
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #543
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Siren backup battery replacement

I have a 2006 325xi and used Carly for BMW to scan for faults. I get a 9D12 fault indicating the backup internal battery in the siren has failed. This is probably true as the alarm was installed in Nov 2005.

Is the siren backup internal battery replaceable?? If so, is it a CR2032?

I see that the siren is installed in the driver side rear wheel well and easily accessible so replacing it should be easy

Thanks

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #544
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Battery are CR123 lithium

I found several posts showing the batteries as CR123 Lithium batteries. Looks like they can be replaced.

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #545
saghezi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster

Need Help

Can you help me install Alarm . IF you are still in Orange county please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #546
isuzudave
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky92 View Post
Bump,

You can use the Carly App to turn this on
Can you elaborate?

I have the Carly app and I have installed the hardware for the alarm. I don't know how to enable the alarm with the Carly app. After installing the alarm hardware I get the "chirp" and flashing clown nose, after a quick clown nose flashing for about 10 seconds. The quick flashing indicates a fault. I have tested and it seems the hood switch and the sonic sensor are not working. I don't see an option in Carly to activate them.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #547
Frenki335
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuzudave View Post
Can you elaborate?

I have the Carly app and I have installed the hardware for the alarm. I don't know how to enable the alarm with the Carly app. After installing the alarm hardware I get the "chirp" and flashing clown nose, after a quick clown nose flashing for about 10 seconds. The quick flashing indicates a fault. I have tested and it seems the hood switch and the sonic sensor are not working. I don't see an option in Carly to activate them.
I just got done installing it and used Carly app for coding.

These are the steps I did after hardware was installed.
Plugged Carly to obd, key to position two
Opened Carly app and made sure on left bottom was the right car
Then connected Carly to app via Bluetooth
Clicked coding then check compatibility
After it gives you all options go to anti theft siren click on it (what I had to do click UK and then back to USA to code it) should say successful after coding
Go back then click the one right above it anti theft (something)
I coded top three I believe it was panic, siren lock and third one siren unlock
Then turned car off and unplugged Carly
Got out of the car and tried it, it works fine.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:09 AM   #548
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
No, I used ISTA-P in which you select conversion-alarm-system and it does its thing (updates Vehicle Order Number, etc). Works with my key and car beeps/side lights flash upon arming/disarming. The rear-view mirror clown nose blinks when car is armed. It's like the car had the system from factory. I think you can also code with NCSExpert. INPA is for diagnosis (like INSTA-D or DIS).

By the way, it worked with my key even before coding. But I think the mirror did not blink.
Note: I used KDCAN USB cable ensuring car's battery is fully charged and a battery charger is connected.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:22 PM   #549
crimpwimp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 6spd // E46 M3 LSB

Garage List
**EDIT**
If you have an E91, then you can still purchase the kit used for the E9x, but you'll have to get a different control module (with the ultrasonic sensors pointed toward the rear of the vehicle and installs at the rear of the FZD dome/map light assembly)
Found what I needed on eBay: PN searched 65759260874

Does anybody know where I can get the correct dome light cover? I have alarm system pre-wired (MY08 E91), but it seems that the slits in my cover are not-functional.

Last edited by crimpwimp; 09-12-2019 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: Issue Resolved
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 05:54 AM   #550
trofi
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91

Hi all,

Can i ask, where is batteries of alarm module. I have error 9d12 - low alarm batteries.

Thanks
Appreciate 0