E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Comfort access not working properly - dealer blaims window tint

04-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
bigaltech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Comfort access not working properly - dealer blaims window tint

Since day one when I first bought the car, I've had trouble with the drivers door not unlocking/locking on first attempts. However, the passenger door works perfectly fine.

Brought the car a few months back for oil change-Jan 09 (which wasn't scheduled until april) and just asked an SA about the CA- he said it was due to the tint (I never documented this time around)

Brought the car back for an oil change 2nd time (again no oil change - the first SA gave me the production date not the first maintenance date last year so I get that changed in August now) anyways - this time I had them look at the CA system - they said it works fine with the windows rolled down and it's due to the tint - I asked them about the passenger side and they said "bring it back when you have more time, but our testing showed it worked fine with windows down that you tint is effecting it.)

Also - when I'm walking towards my car or away I need to be within about 5 feet for the keyfob to actually unlock/lock my doors, which I'm pretty sure isn't normal.., most cars work at least 50 ft or so away to lock/roll windows down ahead of time..

So- I have called to make an appt for 5pm today and get a loaner which was another haggle as they claim they cannot 'hold' a loaner car till the PM, that it's first come first serve. I argue and after awhile she notes my acct and says I can get a loaner.. so we'll see.. I'll keep everyone updated to the outcome of this for future reference..

Grrrr... just venting and wanted to see if anyone else has seen issues like this with their CA system not working properly with or without window tint....

cliffnotes- drivers side comfort access not working while key is in pocket (nor is the trunk) unless key is held in hand. passenger side works perfect. dealer blames tint - i had trouble however since I bought the car.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Yes, this can happen with certain tints. You should use 'search'.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
bigaltech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
Yes, this can happen with certain tints. You should use 'search'.
Thanks kindly for building your post status.. I did indeed use the search function only under the maintenance/warranty section of the threads using the term "comfort access." There showed to be 32 results, none of which referred to comfort access and window tint.

Thanks for the input regardless. I don't believe however this has to do with tint as I have tried today and at the dealership with the SA as well that with the windows fully opened - the CA does not work properly, 1 out of 5 tries at best.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
ptx1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Titanium Silver

As tyrewt tried to allude to, this is a common problem with metallic tints. You can remove the tints on your doors and put up ceramic tints or live with the annoyance.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
bigaltech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptx1 View Post
As tyrewt tried to allude to, this is a common problem with metallic tints. You can remove the tints on your doors and put up ceramic tints or live with the annoyance.
My tint states "hybrid" I'm getting mixed reviews on google searches about whether or not it contains metallics.. some sites say yes while others state no... regardless > with the windows rolled down into the car (the rear view mirror is where I'm told, from BMW technician is where the sensor is) it still does not operate properly.. The key does not have any blockage from the rear view with windows down.. Also - the passenger side never has trouble - only the driver and trunk... why would the pass. side work fine if it was due to window tinting? I've never had this problem in the past with any other types of cars even with limo tint using the same kind of tint and with comfort access type systems... I'm leaning more towards faulty equipment-yes I could be wrong, however this was an issue even before I put tint on the car........
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having similar issues with tint, which admittedly is metallic, but I'm not ready to determine if it is the tint at fault or the sensors, since it acts up windows up or down.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
HighVoltage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

This is not a unique problem..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175388
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 02:37 AM   #8
markiE90
Private
Philippines
Rep
Drives: SG E90

Garage List
2007 320i E90  [0.00]
Hi, I have the same problem... Here is my scenario..

Current: E90, No Tints, No comfort access feature.

When I am unlocking/locking the car when im on either sides with an approx 20 feet away, its working fine. I can roll down and up the windows too with the use of my key.

My problem is when I try to do the same thing being infront of my car. I have to be 5 feet within range to be able to unlock/lock or roll down the windows.
This is really weird.

Any help please, as i dont know how to explain when i bring it to the dealership.

thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
HighVoltage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiE90 View Post

When I am unlocking/locking the car when im on either sides with an approx 20 feet away, its working fine. I can roll down and up the windows too with the use of my key.

My problem is when I try to do the same thing being infront of my car. I have to be 5 feet within range to be able to unlock/lock or roll down the windows.
This is really weird.

Any help please, as i dont know how to explain when i bring it to the dealership.

thanks in advance.
This is not the same problem.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
http://www.garagejournal.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
200Duece
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '73 2002,'18 X5 35d,'17 328d T

Quote:

This is really weird.

thanks in advance.
There is no antennee in the front of the car. Just the door handles and trunk lid

1988 E28 535is Euro Conversion --- sold
2009 E90 335 6MT --- sold
2003 E39 540iT Msport --- sold
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
HighVoltage
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Duece View Post
There is no antennee in the front of the car. Just the door handles and trunk lid
He doesnt have comfort access.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
bigaltech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Still haven't gotten it resolved and actually the other day I had the fob in my hand right next to the door handle and it took about 4 times putting my hand between the handle and the car and pulling to actually unlock it... locking usually isn't an issue when held in hand - and I know everyone bashes tint, but you know what BMW - it does this with windows down too - and I know it was an issue before I tinted the car.. I just don't have the time right now to keep going back and forth with them as much as I would like to.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
200Duece
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '73 2002,'18 X5 35d,'17 328d T

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
He doesnt have comfort access.
I know that he doesn't have the CA option. He was talking about rolling his windows down.

1988 E28 535is Euro Conversion --- sold
2009 E90 335 6MT --- sold
2003 E39 540iT Msport --- sold
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
HighVoltage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Duece View Post
I know that he doesn't have the CA option. He was talking about rolling his windows down.
Quote:
He's talking about a CAS issue that is not CA related, unlike this thread.

Appreciate 0