E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Advice concerning safety on this board...

10-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

Advice concerning safety on this board...

Hi guys and ladies

I will probably get flamed for this but... well i find it important!

Once in a while a thread starts with some kind of question regarding: brakes, broken rims, flat tires, suspension, ... Well a lot of stuff that is important to a fun but also safe drive!

Sometimes i see advice on this board from members here, that suggest repairs or DIY of parts that are safety relevant. Then i see things that really scares me...

Guys and ladies, do you sometimes think twice about giving advice to complete strangers when it is about such safety relevant part??? Do you ever think about it that somebody could read it and do it wrong... and something happens...

I will never NEVER give advice to somebody i don't know (not knowing his/her skills) when it comes to safety relevant parts

The thread concerning the removal of an airbag, got me furious... PLEASE THINK TWICE NEXT TIME!!!

Ok... I'm ready to get flamed...

Last edited by BMW_Belgier; 10-04-2012 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
I would agree with you, I try to stay away from answering things that are safety related.

I only tend to answer things like "How to tell if my car has Comfort Access" .... etc etc..

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post
Hi guys and ladies

I will probably get flamed for this but... well i find it important!

Once in a while a thread starts with some kind of question regarding: brakes, broken rims, flat tires, suspension, ... Well a lot of stuff that is important to a fun but also safe drive!

Sometimes i see advice on this board from members here, that suggest repairs or DIY of parts that are safety relevant. Then i see things that really scares me...

Guys and ladies, do you sometimes think twice about giving advice to complete strangers when it is about such safety relevant part??? Do you ever think about it that somebody could read it and do it wrong... and something happens...

I will never NEVER give advice to somebody i don't know (not knowing his/her skills) when it comes to safety relevant parts

The thread concerning the removal of an airbag, got me furious... PLEASE THINK TWICE NEXT TIME!!!

Ok... I'm ready to get flamed...
I think that it really depends, just like the DIY pages. I find that sometimes without pictures it's hard to figure out what someone is referencing.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Don't get me wrong, those DIY's are amazing and the belong on this board

But sometimes in some threads...

Like the "RFT can it be fixed"...

BMW says NO
Tire manufacturer says NO
The indy says NO
But that doesn't stop people on this board saying it's Ok... That's crazy people...
      10-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Honestly I'd feel worse giving advice that turns out to be incorrect to someone I know personally. Then you actually see and hear about the aftermath. Members on here should know better than to take advice from strangers regarding their $15-70k cars...

Example: First day I got my E90 I was looking for ways to reset the sensitivity of the accelerator and brake. Two people told me to hold down the accelerator until the car shuts off from hitting redline... lol
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChase View Post
Honestly I'd feel worse giving advice that turns out to be incorrect to someone I know personally. Then you actually see and hear about the aftermath. Members on here should know better than to take advice from strangers regarding their $15-70k cars...

Example: First day I got my E90 I was looking for ways to reset the sensitivity of the accelerator and brake. Two people told me to hold down the accelerator until the car shuts off from hitting redline... lol
That is just plain messed up. But I have to ask, did ya try it?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:

BMW says NO
The indy says NO
But that doesn't stop people on this board saying it's Ok... That's crazy people...
Runflats can be repair if it has not been driven on with no air or extremely low air.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Depends on the question. The removal of an airbag is necessary If you are replacing the steering wheel. I installed a brand new M3 steering wheel on my 135 and re-installed the airbag. A very easy mod for DIY. Looked great !

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Quote:

BMW says NO
The indy says NO
I mean if they have to ask said question, then take the advice of one or two people on the internet over the sources you referenced, it might be a bit of natural selection at play... Just sayin'

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
That is just plain messed up. But I have to ask, did ya try it?
No hahaha I have more common sense than that. And after about a week I realized that the breaks weren't too sensitive, the Honda I drove before just sucked

And I could possibly find those answers I saw.. they were on the "things you didn't know about your E9x" thread. It would be a tough job though.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:

BMW says NO
The indy says NO
What BMW or any car company says is not always dictated by safety but by potential litigation. If I had a nail in an RFT that could be easily repaired for $15.00 I'd do it in a second instead of paying over $200.00 for a new RFT.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
What BMW or any car company says is not always dictated by safety but by potential litigation. If I had a nail in an RFT that could be easily repaired for $15.00 I'd do it in a second instead of paying over $200.00 for a new RFT.
So true, for example, if there is a nail in a runflat, and its is it slow leak. If the tire is kept inflated to say at least 25 PSI, there is nothing wrong with patching up that tire. The problem with patching runflats is when people drive on them with no air at high speed for a long distance, the sidewall can be compromise. This is where the owner have to decide if they want to take the risk of patching it or not. Personally, if I drove on a runflat with no air at high speed for a long distance, I would replace the tire.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

I don't mind to give advice on the board, even with regards to safety items. I also greatly appreciate the advice that I've received here.

There are two parts to a DIY following the advice here:
1) The advice - as long as it is correct and factual, then I feel it should be given freely
2) The implementation - here is where I believe the responsibility lies.

There is no way to verify the capability of the person asking for/receiving the advice, therefore is it suggested that no advice should ever be given?

If the person following the DIY is not capable, then by all means, they should hire a professional. If the person following the DIY doesn't know enough to determine if the advice is correct or wrong, then he should hire a professional.

If the person following the DIY screws up and kills himself (or, god-forbid, others), then it's his own damn fault. Usual punishments apply (litigation, loss of life/injury/financial penalty, etc). Unfortunately, that's the way life works - the smart continue, the stupid perish.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #14
Rmk392
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

it's the internet, if you take everything you read as the gospel then who's fault is that
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #15
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I say if that people want to disable their airbags, let them. The information is presented and if they want to go that route, then so be it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
I don't mind to give advice on the board, even with regards to safety items. I also greatly appreciate the advice that I've received here.

There are two parts to a DIY following the advice here:
1) The advice - as long as it is correct and factual, then I feel it should be given freely
2) The implementation - here is where I believe the responsibility lies.

There is no way to verify the capability of the person asking for/receiving the advice, therefore is it suggested that no advice should ever be given?

If the person following the DIY is not capable, then by all means, they should hire a professional. If the person following the DIY doesn't know enough to determine if the advice is correct or wrong, then he should hire a professional.

If the person following the DIY screws up and kills himself (or, god-forbid, others), then it's his own damn fault. Usual punishments apply (litigation, loss of life/injury/financial penalty, etc). Unfortunately, that's the way life works - the smart continue, the stupid perish.
Hey, i'm not talking about the DIY's here... Some "helpfull" people here give advice to people, clearly not technical gifted, to do things that are just UNSAFE!

You know what happens when you get an airbag in your face...

I see so much difference on this topic between this board and the german one! There you get the advice "be carefull" or "let somebody with experience do it"... Here it's just "no problem man, just pull out the right fuse and you're good"...
      10-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Hey, i'm not talking about the DIY's here... Some "helpfull" people here give advice to people, clearly not technical gifted, to do things that are just UNSAFE!

You know what happens when you get an airbag in your face...

I see so much difference on this topic between this board and the german one! There you get the advice "be carefull" or "let somebody with experience do it"... Here it's just "no problem man, just pull out the right fuse and you're good"...
I have to say that there a some really good people here on the board that give you real good help

And the info here is just amazing

I don't wanna be the pain in the ass but i just want to make a point...