E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i N54 Engine Tuning Options for Dummies

03-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #23
dwykstra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vapor View Post
Newb here....

any talk or discussion about the use of these on "borrowed" (read as: Leased) 335s?

I am considering a lease, so this is very important to me.
I'm sure that all the piggy backs have been placed on leased vehicles at one time or the other. With a clean uninstall, there should be no realistic way for BMW to know they were there, although there will inevitably be some codes retained that transmits information like increased boost levels, etc... The Dinan is probably not recommended for leased vehicles unless you have a dealer who is mod friendly. A Dinan reflash requires the VIN be sent to BMW, so they know who has a reflash.

ZSP/ZPP/CWP/Navi/Sirius/iPod/CA

20% tint/Blacklines/OEM spoiler/OEM style splitters
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #24
dwykstra
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amer View Post
Dyno sheets would be nice for each company in the OP.
We've discussed this previously. There is just too much variability from car to car, dyno to dyno, and product to product to post dyno sheets. This post is just meant to introduce newbies to the major options available for tuning. Specifics can be found by searching.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #25
attorneyscott
Smokin' a Siglo VI...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i, Dinan Stage 3

warranty makes Dinan worth it IMO

Warranty was what made choosing Dinan a no-brainer for me... also their decades of experience in modifying BMWs. I've been very happy with the result. Their exhaust system is killer -- the sound is impressive. I also looked long and hard at Vishnu and Active.
'08 E92 335i black sapphire/saddle, 6MT, sport/prem., CA, PDC, Sirius, Ipod/usb, HDR, Htd. Sts., Dinan Stage 3 flash/oil cooler/intercooler/exhaust/Stage 3 susp., MORR VS7's, Goodyear Eagle F-1 GS-D3s, BMW Perf. Parts STSK, Dinan/Quaife 3.08 LSD!!
'06 Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged; Zambezi Silver/Ivory/Piano Black Wood, SICK NASTY In Car Entertainment - seriously, will make your brain bleed
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #26
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

I think price points should be added to the list, I know Helix has released their price and the Active Processor should be added.

From my experience I've had the v2 Procede and have been happy with it since day one. I know some others have had problems with Vishnu customer service, but I have had nothing but good service from them both with my Procede and my previous piggy for my Evo.

I do however want to try the JB2 as well as the new Active Processor. I'm not a fan of Helix, since if you want to upgrade maps you have to mail in the unit . That should be mentioned.
      03-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #27
Cool Car Dave
It goes fast.
Germany
Rep
Drives: Blue 07 335i Coupe

This is a great website. Some of the other ones you learn nothing. I cant believe all the search I never found the Juice Box and JB upgrades. I like the Xede, it looks like the easiest to install and it has a valet switch (not that I will ever really use it).
One other thing, anyone know of any other downpipes, (Ive found three different ones so far).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #28
Alex@Helix
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

While you do have to mail in the Attache', we have worked out a way so that there is no downtime. We will send you a new Attache' loaded with the maps you want so all you have to do is unplug the wiring harness from one Attache' and plug it into the new one. The Attache' comes with the ability to hold two maps. You can choose whichever two maps you would like, stock, our base tune or any of the other mods you like.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #29
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwykstra View Post
We've discussed this previously. There is just too much variability from car to car, dyno to dyno, and product to product to post dyno sheets. This post is just meant to introduce newbies to the major options available for tuning. Specifics can be found by searching.
I'd still be interested in rough or average gains expected with each model on a stock engine. I'm completely new to the 335i and have now read this, which told me basically how they are installed, but I feel like I've learned nothing because for all I know one makes 5hp and another makes 500. Perhaps at least manufacturer's claims, as unreliable as they may be, might be a good addition to the post as well as costs (which yes, would have to be updated occasionally).
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #30
foxman
Driver
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
I'm sure that all the piggy backs have been placed on leased vehicles at one time or the other. With a clean uninstall, there should be no realistic way for BMW to know they were there, although there will inevitably be some codes retained that transmits information like increased boost levels, etc... The Dinan is probably not recommended for leased vehicles unless you have a dealer who is mod friendly. A Dinan reflash requires the VIN be sent to BMW, so they know who has a reflash.
When I was negotiating my purchase (lease) the dealer was trying to sell me on having the Dinan Flash done to my leased vehicle. I didn't, but they were certainly encouraging it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #31
digitalmethods
Rep
Drives: 10' 328i Xdrive - 12' X3 28i

Is there any rumors out there about the possibility of having a street tunable setup? I am coming from a Subaru backround and my car was running a Open Source tune. Is there any rumors that tuners may make a Street tuner setup similar to Cobb Accessport, TXS, or open source. If ther was the right program I would definately like to have my tuner look at it for a custom tune. I've never really been a huge fan of the "off the shelf" maps. As soon as I pick up a 335i I want to start tuning it. Vishnu seems like the way to go but I would much rather my own tune for my specific car.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #32
duramaxin
Rep
Drives: 2007Black/terracotta 6sp sport

So what is the the easiest install/ unistall/ cleaness system? I dont wanna mess with the warrenty seeing though i have the feeling i am going to need to use it with the way i drive. So im looking for good gains and the most undetechtable way. Should i wait for bmw to bring one to the table? Any idea on when they will? Any info would be great i am new to the BMW world and i just wanna beat this dang mustang running 13.1 The 335 was challenged by a 20k dollars mustang with a couple mods and well thats not going to happen. I had my diesel truck running 13's so any help on dropping this mans 335i manual sedans quarter mile would be great.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #33
Rips335iCoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Dinan = EVOtech flash.

EVOtech flash was out way before Dinan ripped the code off.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #34
dwykstra
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramaxin View Post
So what is the the easiest install/ unistall/ cleaness system? I dont wanna mess with the warrenty seeing though i have the feeling i am going to need to use it with the way i drive. So im looking for good gains and the most undetechtable way. Should i wait for bmw to bring one to the table? Any idea on when they will? Any info would be great i am new to the BMW world and i just wanna beat this dang mustang running 13.1 The 335 was challenged by a 20k dollars mustang with a couple mods and well thats not going to happen. I had my diesel truck running 13's so any help on dropping this mans 335i manual sedans quarter mile would be great.
I don't think that anyone would disagree with me when I say the easiest install/uninstall would be the SSTT. It gives decent gains, and can take only seconds to install/uninstall. Other piggybacks require access to the ECU, which will take more time for install/uninstall.

I doubt that you will get the gains you need to run that 13.1 with just the SSTT. If you are worried about maintaining your warranty, the Dinan reflash may be the way to go for more power gains, but you will pay a premium price for those gains.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #35
duramaxin
Rep

Thankyou were is the best place for me to find a SSTT system?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #36
duramaxin
Rep

oh yeah and is it goign to throw any codes to where if something went wrong the dealer would be able to figure out that i have had SSTT
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #37
Cool Car Dave
It goes fast.
Germany
Rep
Drives: Blue 07 335i Coupe

One comment, problem with the Attache is waiting time. Ive waited a month now and still no word on when it's my turn to get one.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #38
Sportaspike
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 coupe

This is a great thread. I'm a newby 335 coupe and I'll go so far as to say that technically, I'm a dork. Knowing that the Vishnu system has the broadest install base in this forum provides me some additional level of comfort. And @ $1300 (and the ability to de-tune myself) versus Dinan's $2k and a one-time install makes Vishnu's product a little more appealing.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #39
digitalmethods
Rep
Drives: 10' 328i Xdrive - 12' X3 28i

Vishnu seems to be what I'd b looking for except I'd much prefer my own tuning abilities. Off the shelf maps are ok but.....Why doesn't anyone offer something we can tune ourselves if we choose to? I am new to this car in general so I'm lost to as why it has less options than most cheaper turbo vehicles. Are the ECU's harder to get into and reflash? Does it have to do with the way that the mapping is set up?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #40
LAbeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 3351

ok cost aside whats the boards feeling of doubling up tunes? Hugely popular in the diesel world (fuel pressure tunes & boost tunes). My question would be could you have the dealer install the dinan flash for the warranty then install on top a procede or similar piggyback with multiple maps to enhance the power gains for race fuel or mods. discussion of the new program 29.2 sensing the piggybacks to help void the warranty might be overthrown with the dinan flash. Also with the dinan flash already raising boost and such boost creep and spike (stuck wastegate actuator) can easily explain how lets say a huge rise in boost blew your engine (lol). just thinking out loud here, not saying it would work!!! So any seasoned tuners have an opinion on this type of stacking?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 08:00 AM   #41
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Thanks, great post...Newbie here wanting to tune my new 335xi. I think Ill wait till the 29.2 vs 30 ecu problems are resolved. I sure would like to hear more on the BMW upgrade. I would much prefer to do it with the BMW dealership that would avoid warranty issues...
      06-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #42
dwykstra
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
Thanks, great post...Newbie here wanting to tune my new 335xi. I think Ill wait till the 29.2 vs 30 ecu problems are resolved. I sure would like to hear more on the BMW upgrade. I would much prefer to do it with the BMW dealership that would avoid warranty issues...
The BMW upgrade was a longtime rumor that has come and gone. 3/08 was supposed to be the date, but obviously that never came to fruition.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #43
dadasracecar
Banned
Rep
Drives: '06 Mazdaspeed6

Please add the cp-e standback programmer to the list. It is in beta testing mode now for locals and should be released for all the week of 9/22. The programmer will come with OTS maps but is completely user tuneable allowing for changes in boost, timing, fueling, and control of a secondary fuel system if desired. Price will be under $1K. To date the device has not been observable to the bmw ecu. Here's the link: http://www.cp-e.com/2046.html
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #44
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

Quote:
Burger Motorsports
Juice Box
-decent install base; piggy back tune requires access to the ECU, not customized; various versions (JB1, JB2, JB2R, JB2R, H); R stands for racing tune which requires higher octane (>96), H for Hot Pill requires 91 Octane + DPs or 93 octane gas (can add more than 1 H pill); inexpensive (JB1) to moderate (JB2) in price with good gains in horsepower and torque given price, likely best value for dollar; customer service good with relatively quick response time; JBX allows the ability to have multiple H pills added to JB2 with convenience of a switch; JB3 in beta testing currently.

Juice Box is made by Terry tuner Terry355 user that was banned from the forum because he was selling his first attempt JB1 for 65$
So now it is called Burger Motorsport... and considered as good?
Appreciate 0