E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Aircon, heater fan etc not working....help please!

10-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
RichKen
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series touring 2007

Aircon, heater fan etc not working....help please!

Guys This is a 2007 318i touring.

I have several items that are not powering up including Aircon, Heater fan, Heated rear screen, Glove compartment light and the two rear most interior lights. Also the engine cooling fan comes on after ten seconds when engine is cold and does not stop until the engine has been off for five seconds!

I have checked all the fuses that I think are revelant in the main fuse box and the fuse at the battery and all seem to be fine so I was wondering if there are any other fuse locations that I do not know about that may have blown, or is there a circuit breaker that has tripped that controls the above items of equipment.

All suggestions welcome as I need to fix the problems before going into hospital which will put me out of action for a couple of months or so. Many thanks. Richard
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

If you can have access to diagnostic tool it will test all the modules and tell where it bugging from.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
RichKen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChawenHalo View Post
If you can have access to diagnostic tool it will test all the modules and tell where it bugging from.
Thanks for that. What make and model of diagnostic tool will tell me where the problem lies please? I'm new to this forum and have not been able to work out how to be notified when someone replies to my thread. Ah I think I've worked it out.....thread subscription<G> Richard
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #4
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKen View Post
Thanks for that. What make and model of diagnostic tool will tell me where the problem lies please? I'm new to this forum and have not been able to work out how to be notified when someone replies to my thread. Ah I think I've worked it out.....thread subscription<G> Richard
Any multibrand tool will do (they're €350 jobbies). I would just stop at Euromaster or Speedy pay €50 or however much they charge you to plug their thing in and "take a peak". Given the number of things not working I would have thought a diagnostic tool will show you error codes straight away pointing you in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
RichKen
Rep

Quote:
Any multibrand tool will do (they're €350 jobbies). I would just stop at Euromaster or Speedy pay €50 or however much they charge you to plug their thing in and "take a peak". Given the number of things not working I would have thought a diagnostic tool will show you error codes straight away pointing you in the right direction.
Many thanks for your suggestion. Earlier today I was looking at a diagnostic device supplied by icarsoft called an i910 costing £109 as I thought that it would be good to have the ability to check the car into the future. Perhaps this cheaper monitor would not be able to help me solve my present problems. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:45 AM   #6
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320i 2010 MSport

Do you have a laptop? if so it will be cheaper to purchase a cable & software bundle that contains the BMW INPA software and tools 32 etc. and the decent sellers offer technical/startup support.
I think there's a thread on here somewhere with recommended sellers.
      10-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #7
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Guys This is a 2007 318i touring.

I have several items that are not powering up including Aircon, Heater fan, Heated rear screen, Glove compartment light and the two rear most interior lights. Also the engine cooling fan comes on after ten seconds when engine is cold and does not stop until the engine has been off for five seconds!

With an issue like this first order of business should be to check the battery voltage and then followed by alternator voltage output check.

My assumption would be that your alternator is on its way out, and I am basing that on the similar issues I experienced.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
RichKen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
With an issue like this first order of business should be to check the battery voltage and then followed by alternator voltage output check.

My assumption would be that your alternator is on its way out, and I am basing that on the similar issues I experienced.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Thanks for your suggestion. I am rather doubtful that the alternator is on it's way out as the battery is being kept sufficiently topped up to start the car without any hesitation, and with the headlights on the lights are bright and stay at the same brightness regardless of engine revs.

I downloaded a copy of the BMW INPA software manual and found it very lacking in detail and information, also no wiring circuits. The Haynes manual is far better which rather surprised me. Has anyone else tried this download and if so what did they find? Cheers Richard
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #9
RichKen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyVR View Post
Do you have a laptop? if so it will be cheaper to purchase a cable & software bundle that contains the BMW INPA software and tools 32 etc. and the decent sellers offer technical/startup support.
I think there's a thread on here somewhere with recommended sellers.
Many thanks. I did try to find the thread but failed. Yes I do have a laptop running Win 10. Any suggestions as to where to buy from please. Thanks, Richard
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Many thanks for your suggestion. Earlier today I was looking at a diagnostic device supplied by icarsoft called an i910 costing £109 as I thought that it would be good to have the ability to check the car into the future. Perhaps this cheaper monitor would not be able to help me solve my present problems. What do you think?
There is a thread on here talking about cables and software. As your car is pre-LCI is should be easier. It will also serve you well in the long run.

I may be wrong but I seem to remember water intrusion issues around the windshield. If that's the case I think there is a key electronic junction module behind the glovebox (abreast there is on LCI).

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #11
RichKen
Rep

Quote:
There is a thread on here talking about cables and software. As your car is pre-LCI is should be easier. It will also serve you well in the long run.

I may be wrong but I seem to remember water intrusion issues around the windshield. If that's the case I think there is a key electronic junction module behind the glovebox (abreast there is on LCI).

Good luck!
Many thanks. I think I need some<G> Richard
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 03:32 AM   #12
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320i 2010 MSport

Quote:
Many thanks. I did try to find the thread but failed. Yes I do have a laptop running Win 10. Any suggestions as to where to buy from please. Thanks, Richard
I used http://www.cable-shack.co.uk

Very good at answering my questions, had no problems with installation, came with clear instructions. They do remote support as well if you have any problems. Would be worth asking them about Windows 10 and what they recommend for your car.
      10-12-2017, 05:18 AM   #13
RichKen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyVR View Post
I used http://www.cable-shack.co.uk

Very good at answering my questions, had no problems with installation, came with clear instructions. They do remote support as well if you have any problems. Would be worth asking them about Windows 10 and what they recommend for your car.
Many thanks. I've emailed them to check. Cheers Richard
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 07:44 AM   #14
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

Not sure but look at Blower motor and final stage resistor may have caused this issue. Not to hard to get to. Apparently I am not alone with the resistor issue, Mine melted together so I had a bit of trouble with it. pm me a cell I can text to and I will send you a couple of pics of what mine looked like
      10-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #15
RichKen
Rep

Thanks for that Tom. As the faults all seemed to happen at the same time I'm suspecting something more general but point taken.

I'm trying to get hold of a wiring diagram that applies to my car but keeping hitting my head against a brick wall so I would be really grateful if someone could tell me where I can obtain one that is more satisfactory than I already have in the Hayes manual.

I've just ordered on AndyVR's suggestion a cable and software to help me in my problem solving.

Cheers
Richard
Appreciate 0