E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > life of upgraded brakes?

06-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

life of upgraded brakes?

i got my brakes upgraded with some aftermarket rotors and pads just over a month ago and am very happy with them. but i noticed something in the car service info. When i had the new rotors/pads/sensors installed, the shop had reset the car computer and it read 100,000km life left on front brakes and 45,000km for the rear. but after a month of driving ive noticed the life on the front still indicates 100,000km but the rear has gone down to 41,000km.

i dont think i have even driven close to 4000km in the last month, i know reaslistically that both front and rear probably have even wear (or front should have more wear)but how come the comp is decreasing the pad wear on the rear at such a rate and the front is untouched?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Brad from the OC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325Ia Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
i got my brakes upgraded with some aftermarket rotors and pads just over a month ago and am very happy with them. but i noticed something in the car service info. When i had the new rotors/pads/sensors installed, the shop had reset the car computer and it read 100,000km life left on front brakes and 45,000km for the rear. but after a month of driving ive noticed the life on the front still indicates 100,000km but the rear has gone down to 41,000km.

i dont think i have even driven close to 4000km in the last month, i know reaslistically that both front and rear probably have even wear (or front should have more wear)but how come the comp is decreasing the pad wear on the rear at such a rate and the front is untouched?
I just installed new pads on front and rear about 3 weeks ago. Prior to the change the CBS said 16,000mi. on fronts and 19,000mi. on rear. Upon removal, the fronts had about 75% pad thickness left and the rears about 20% pad thickness left. You would think that the fronts should wear faster than the rears, but not in my case. When made, the front pads have about 50% more surface area than the rears. I would think that is to compensate for the fronts wearing faster.

When the pad replacement was completed, I reset the CBS and the new mileage displayed was 50,000 miles for both front and rear. Since my CBS was so far off for my fronts when I changed them, I think the best indication for replacement intervals is to just look at the pad thickness when I flush out the brake fluid every 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

What about brake fluid? My computer says it is bad. Just had it flushed when the BBK was installed.
      06-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Brad from the OC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325Ia Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE4SPEED View Post
What about brake fluid? My computer says it is bad. Just had it flushed when the BBK was installed.
Sounds like whoever flushed the brake fluid didn't reset the CBS. When the CBS is reset, it will set a date two years from the date of reset. The CBS cannot determine if the brake fluid is bad, just out of date.
Appreciate 0