E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > JIC CROSS coilovers

03-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
NH01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

JIC CROSS coilovers

Anyone got Installation instructions for these coilovers for E90!?

Please and thank youuuu

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
they go by the e46 instructions but its pretty similar

http://www.cross-na.com/ViewProduct1...7&CarMakeID=15
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
NH01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks but the rear shock assembly is different.
I installed mine with some of the parts on the oem shock (dust boot/bump stops) but it is making some clunking noise in the back.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I didn't do the installation myself because I don't have a lift. I had Bimmerworks do the installation.
The clunk noise you're talking about may be the rear bushing that sits on top of the shock. It's a stock piece that seems to be made out of foam. Check that first and if it's bad replace it. I had this issue once shortly after mine were installed. I could distinctly hear it when I went over a bump.
Also, make sure everything is tight. If anything is loose, you'll hear it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
NH01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
I didn't do the installation myself because I don't have a lift. I had Bimmerworks do the installation.
The clunk noise you're talking about may be the rear bushing that sits on top of the shock. It's a stock piece that seems to be made out of foam. Check that first and if it's bad replace it. I had this issue once shortly after mine were installed. I could distinctly hear it when I went over a bump.
Also, make sure everything is tight. If anything is loose, you'll hear it.
This sounds right.

Which oem components did you put onto the JIC's?

I noticed the JIC comes with a small bushing..
The top nut used to hold to shock i assembled with..the small foam bushing jic came with + a metal washer ring + bolt.. (the oem top nut couldnt be used in this case because the threading on the oem shock is smaller than the JIC one.. and i couldnt take out the foam because its a part of the top nut.

on the under side.. i used these bushings from the stock shocks.. because if u dont use those i noticed u can move the shock from side to side + i put oem bump stops/dust boots.. I beleive everything is tight.. the bottom side u have to use a 15mm to hold the valving so it will not spin when you tighten the top nut. im pretty sure that part is tight..however,, in the bag that jic came with. there are 2 more washer rings.. where do those go?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Post up a review once you get it squared away.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
TSM330i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH01 View Post
This sounds right.

Which oem components did you put onto the JIC's?

I noticed the JIC comes with a small bushing..
The top nut used to hold to shock i assembled with..the small foam bushing jic came with + a metal washer ring + bolt.. (the oem top nut couldnt be used in this case because the threading on the oem shock is smaller than the JIC one.. and i couldnt take out the foam because its a part of the top nut.

on the under side.. i used these bushings from the stock shocks.. because if u dont use those i noticed u can move the shock from side to side + i put oem bump stops/dust boots.. I beleive everything is tight.. the bottom side u have to use a 15mm to hold the valving so it will not spin when you tighten the top nut. im pretty sure that part is tight..however,, in the bag that jic came with. there are 2 more washer rings.. where do those go?
Yes, I think you're right about the bushing and the stock bolt not working. I think they made a custom piece using the stock foam and the new bolt. I will call Bimmerworks tomorrow and talk to Chris to see if he can let me know exactly what he did.
As for the extra pieces - give JIC Cross a call (562-803-6122 - M-F till 9am-6pm California time). I spoke to their help desk when we were doing the installation. We had an initial pull to the right when you got on the gas. I just turned out to be something loose.
Once you get them on and sorted, you're going to love them! The ride is great and the handling is incredible. They suspension reacts SO much faster than anything I've ever driven. Mid-corner bumps are a non-issue - the car will just ride over them and not even twitch. I have the UUC adjustable sway bars front and rear also.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
NH01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I will try this weekend to play around with it. When i get the shocks off i will take some pics.
THe only way to make the stock nut+bushing to work is to somehow cut the washer clips off so the nut can come out. because its all one piece now.

I had no pull to the right.. but the front makes a clunk as well when i hit really big bumps.( i know i should be avoiding these but i am trying to find out where all the soudns are coming from).

oh one more question: do you still have the stock front tower bar on? last time i looked under the hood, the top bolt to the front shocks looks like its about or even touching the tower bar. does yours look like this too?

Thanks for the help AW325xi

-nick

Quote:
Yes, I think you're right about the bushing and the stock bolt not working. I think they made a custom piece using the stock foam and the new bolt. I will call Bimmerworks tomorrow and talk to Chris to see if he can let me know exactly what he did.
As for the extra pieces - give JIC Cross a call (562-803-6122 - M-F till 9am-6pm California time). I spoke to their help desk when we were doing the installation. We had an initial pull to the right when you got on the gas. I just turned out to be something loose.
Once you get them on and sorted, you're going to love them! The ride is great and the handling is incredible. They suspension reacts SO much faster than anything I've ever driven. Mid-corner bumps are a non-issue - the car will just ride over them and not even twitch. I have the UUC adjustable sway bars front and rear also.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
NH01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
Post up a review once you get it squared away.
Will do.
I wish these JIC's came with detailed installation instructions for e90..
I am trying to request from JIC but no response.

Never had these problems before. I had JIC FLTA2's on my RSX and 350Z before.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
TSM330i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH01 View Post
I will try this weekend to play around with it. When i get the shocks off i will take some pics.
THe only way to make the stock nut+bushing to work is to somehow cut the washer clips off so the nut can come out. because its all one piece now.

I had no pull to the right.. but the front makes a clunk as well when i hit really big bumps.( i know i should be avoiding these but i am trying to find out where all the soudns are coming from).

oh one more question: do you still have the stock front tower bar on? last time i looked under the hood, the top bolt to the front shocks looks like its about or even touching the tower bar. does yours look like this too?

Thanks for the help AW325xi

-nick
Seriously, give JIC a call - don't email them questions. They'll talk to you right away.

As for the front tower bar - yes, mine did touch and I had a loud squeak when I hit certain bumps. I just removed the bolt and put a galvanized washer under it to give it a little more space. Worked perfectly.
I'll try to find out today about the rear bushing.
I'm stopping by Bimmerworks today to discuss my strut-tower brace and CAI install (Dinan for both). I'm also more than likely going to do the under body Hotchkis brace and an LSD for the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
NH01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Cool Cool,

THanks for the help buddy.

I will try that for the tower bar. (probably dented by now LOL)

Wow you are doing the LSD too! I wish these cars came stock 1 way at least. But i should deal with cooling issues with this car first. Need to invest in a larger oil cooler, SS brake lines + pads, tires and some good fluids. I had the KW v3's on before and it was decent.not really a fan of the stock feeling coilovers. I like to feel the bumps. Hopefully with this spring rate JIC has, I wont get as much understeer and get some more steering response.

What camber setup r you running?

I guess the best way to find out what camber i need in the front is to see how much of the tire im using. If tire wear is towards the outside that will need some more - camber.

Quote:
Seriously, give JIC a call - don't email them questions. They'll talk to you right away.

As for the front tower bar - yes, mine did touch and I had a loud squeak when I hit certain bumps. I just removed the bolt and put a galvanized washer under it to give it a little more space. Worked perfectly.
I'll try to find out today about the rear bushing.
I'm stopping by Bimmerworks today to discuss my strut-tower brace and CAI install (Dinan for both). I'm also more than likely going to do the under body Hotchkis brace and an LSD for the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
TSM330i
United_States
Rep

Sorry, but Chris (the guy I needed to talk to) wasn't in on Friday. I'll talk to him on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Anyone here that can help me with my jic cross coilover install?

First off , the lower locking ring did not come with my set. Is it safe to install without it?

Top nut of the front shocks , how is it supposed to be tightened?

My shocks are seated all the way into bracket.

And what way is the adjustable plate supposed be installed ? Sideways adjustable or front /rear adjustable? Mine is set sideways at +1 on both sides.
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

One question to you guys with JIC coilovers , on the front shocks , how many rings are there on the shock ? Mine came with the seat ring and a locking ring and nothing for the lower part.

The top nut I tighten with an open end wrench until I get rotation. Springs , I hand tighten the seat ring and then gave it one rotation tighter with key, then tighten and lock everything. Like this I get no noise from front. But due to missing lower locking ring it will quickly come loose again and noise from shocks also.

NH01 : I also didnt get any dust boot with my shipment , so I reused the OEMs. But not sure if they should be trimmed down in height on the bump stop.

For my rear shocks install I reused the oem dust boot and bump stop , then use one of the washers from rear shock, next install onto the arm the oem bushing and the rubber seal, the metal sleeve can also be installed at this point. Now its ready to be installed thru the strut tower , once thru , use the JIC bushing and the last washer before locking it all with the nut. I did not have any issues like this other than slight rubbing on fenders.

Regarding the extra washers , who knows... I`ll keep them safe for now...
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0