E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New updated injector?

02-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #89
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Yes I have calibrated N54,N55, N63, N63TU, N20, N26 and so on injectors. I know all about the procedure and what the values mean. I do not use INPA however.....

There is still a tolerance/range within the injector compared to the old style. I cannot explain why BMW wants them as a matched set. Neither can anyone else here. We can all just make assumptions. But saying its to try and make money is crazy. That is the point I am getting at. But if people want to go ahead and replace just 1, there is nothing stopping them. I am happy your car is running fine with just 1 -11 index in there. Thats great.

SM335i repeatedly asked my advice on changing the injectors in his car. I guess( through multiple PMs) What I told him is what he did not want to hear I am assuming. I work on these cars every day. I have tons of experience with them. If you guys do not like the way BMW wants it done, I do not know what to tell you. You can speculate all you want as to why etc..... I gave him 100% factual and TESTED info. Not some random person on a forum who it works for VS BMW tested and engineered reasoning. But hey, in some of your guys brains, BMW engineers do not know what they are doing and they programmed waterpumps to fail @ 65k and battery registration is a crock of shit as well.....

As far as the Amsoil comment. The cars I build that make that type of power that I was commenting on are not BMWs. Using the BMW approved oil in a BMW I have yet to see a failure due to the 15k interval. On the amsoil thing, same thing. Have yet to see a failure in cars running double to triple the power these cars have and running them with much more extreme usage. (8 -9 sec 1/4 mile passes and alot of street use)

Some people just love to bash BMW because they do not like the way they do things( 15k interval oil changes, Battery Reg, how many injectors need to be replaced etc). If you do not agree with the 15k oil change interval. Then do not follow it. I am speaking from real world in the field experience on a daily basis. Not something I read on a message forum.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Relax. Take a deep breath. We are not accusing you of anything here.

Have you ever coded N54 injectors? Do you remember what those numbers you are punching in INPA actually mean?

The first number is the ACTUAL flow amount in milligrams of fuel the injector will deliver in one stroke (pulse). The second value is the actual energy value needed to be sent down the wire in order to excite the piezo electric components and deliver that stroke (pulse).

Every single injector flows differently due to material differences and manufacturing tolerances. This is why you code them in.

So your theory about the new injectors not flowing the same way simply makes no sense.

oooh and oh yeah, where is the Amsoil oil grade which meets BMW LL-01 specifications? Just wondering since you like to play things by the BMW book... Last time I checked, BMW did not grant Amsoil its LL-01 approval.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #90
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
^^^ Valid points. I can't argue with those.

Personally, I can't live by the mantra of do what BMW says because they know better. Their recommendations and requirements are set based on multiple factors, including meeting emissions standards, warranty, etc etc.

While I agree with you that the true reasoning as to why BMW recommends these injectors to be installed in matching sets is unknown to us, I (personally) do not think it is of any significance to us in terms of reliability and proper running of the engine.

I could be totally wrong though. There is always that chance of course, but so far, I've seen no indications that's the case.

Everyone is free to do what they want with their cars and it is not my place to convince anyone otherwise.
      02-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #91
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
^^^ Valid points. I can't argue with those.

Personally, I can't live by the mantra of do what BMW says because they know better. Their recommendations and requirements are set based on multiple factors, including meeting emissions standards, warranty, etc etc.

While I agree with you that the true reasoning as to why BMW recommends these injectors to be installed in matching sets is unknown to us, I (personally) do not think it is of any significance to us in terms of reliability and proper running of the engine.

I could be totally wrong though. There is always that chance of course, but so far, I've seen no indications that's the case.

Everyone is free to do what they want with their cars and it is not my place to convince anyone otherwise.
I can agree with that as well

Being that I am in the field, I see ALOT. Alot more then what is talked about on the forums. There is tons of misinformation that get spread around these forums everyday. The injector thing, well nobody really knows why.

Next time I am @ BMWNA I will ask and see if I can get any more info. Usually though they are tight lipped when it comes to known issues and they will give as little as info as possible but just enough to know what needs to be done...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #92
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

It all depends on your experience. My car is still under warrant and the injector issues haunted me for a year. If BMW wanted to replace 3 injectors with the new ones, when really only one was broken, more power to them and I'm in no poisition to complain.

The new style is improved, think about that. They didn't just make a new injector and stop making the old one because they wanted to. The old style is known to have issues. Pushing higher psi and running upgraded twins soon, I rather go with the upgraded set to avoid issues in the future.

I'm a penny pincher too, but sometimes piece of mind is worth it.
2022 X5 MSport Alpine White/Tartufo Merino - Inbound
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #93
beetle6986
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, E70 X5 50, 04 Cobra

My friend just bought a 2008 335xi. On the drive home we found out that it had a bad misfire. We changed all of the plugs with new ones and replaced all coils with the coils removed from my 335 (which does not have a misfire). This didn't resolve the issue. So I guess it is the injectors? I hooked up my laptop with the inpa software to read the codes. It said misfire in cylinders 5 and 6. So I check the injectors... cylinder 5 and 6 have this new injector (index 11). All other cylinders have old injectors (not the originals. They have the second revised injectors). Could these two new injectors be bad?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #94
koss2010
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i coupe

Does anyone have the Technical Service Bulletin or anything similar regarding mixing and matching the new injector style with the older style. My dealership is refusing to change out all six of the injectors, so some kind of official information would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #95
Juiced46
Major
Rep

If its under warranty and you only have a misfire on one cyl or cylinders of the same bank. Only that bank gets replaced. Not all 6. They cannot replace all 6 per the bulletin. I dont have the SIB # on me though. What do you need it for? They are right......
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #96
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
If its under warranty and you only have a misfire on one cyl or cylinders of the same bank. Only that bank gets replaced. Not all 6. They cannot replace all 6 per the bulletin. I dont have the SIB # on me though. What do you need it for? They are right......
Juiced46 - Off topic, but I sent you a message asking a couple questions on another topic...Just wondering if you could look at it when you get a chance...Thanks!
      02-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #97
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
They replaced all six of mine.
I had other issues and they didn't want to see me come back.

I had a HPFP issue, crank sensor, etc..
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #98
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooringhusky View Post
Juiced46 - Off topic, but I sent you a message asking a couple questions on another topic...Just wondering if you could look at it when you get a chance...Thanks!
Replied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
They replaced all six of mine.
I had other issues and they didn't want to see me come back.

I had a HPFP issue, crank sensor, etc..
What cylinders had misfires?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #99
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Replied!
Thanks buddy!!
      10-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #100
jfbjohn
Rep
Drives: 335

ECU reports misfire on firing order not physical ?

I have 2010 43K Miles which has a misfire only at cold start. Changed plugs, walnut blasted, now its worse! After about a minute it runs great.

ECU says Cylinder 5 misfire. However when I pull the plugs, only #2 cylinder is black, the other plugs look good.

Seems for sure a leaking injector. I read somewhere the ECU reported misfires based on Firing Order for some faults (may be a bug) which makes me wonder as firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. - suggesting it could indeed be physical cylinder #2.

Any thoughts out there before I change the wrong injector? Beetle 6986's reply about the new injectors 'failing' got me wondering on this also

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #101
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

I'd swap the injectors and see where the misfire pops up next.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #102
jfbjohn
Rep
Drives: 335

Well, put a new -12 injector in #5 and runs better from cold start and no codes set yet. Still not perfect though so I'm going to put the other two -12 injectors I bought in 4 and 6 since you are supposed to replace by bank.

It does run fine with two -07s and a -12 mixed in the same bank once warm. I noticed the LTFT was -7% on bank 2 vs 0% on bank 1 FWIW.

Hard to believe I'm replacing injectors at 43K on a finely engineered German machine
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #103
E90Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbjohn View Post
Well, put a new -12 injector in #5 and runs better from cold start and no codes set yet. Still not perfect though so I'm going to put the other two -12 injectors I bought in 4 and 6 since you are supposed to replace by bank.

It does run fine with two -07s and a -12 mixed in the same bank once warm. I noticed the LTFT was -7% on bank 2 vs 0% on bank 1 FWIW.

Hard to believe I'm replacing injectors at 43K on a finely engineered German machine
I have a similar issue after cold startups. Idles rough for a few minutes then settles out. At 49k miles I had misfire faults on cylinders 4,5,6 so bmw replaced those 3 injectors on bank 2 under warranty. Problem was fixed. Now at 60k mile i am having similar symptoms again (rough idle following cold startup). Another misfire code. Also, all 6 plugs replaced at 48k miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #104
ucdbiendog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

is it possible to see the injector code/option without pulling it?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #105
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdbiendog View Post
is it possible to see the injector code/option without pulling it?
Yes. It's printed on the side of the injector in small numbers.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #106
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Fought this for months, complete set of 12s now idle fuel trims are +3/+5% and runs perfectly from cold start. Until next time...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:29 PM   #107
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
If they are installing only 1 injector it will be the older style 261 not the 079 part #.

The 079 is not compatible with the 261 per a recent DCS message. Also the 261s are being phased out so the only thing that will be availble soon are the 079s. That being said, if you need 1 079 you need to replace all 6 injectors since you cannot mix them.

Another note to mention. When you do get a new 079 injector and you check the injector itself it will say 261-11 it will not have the 079 part # on it FYI.

Like mentioned they "claim" its a better internal fitering and the thermo compenstating oil
You seem to have a lot of knowledge about these injectors, so maybe you can clear some things up for me. I've got a 2010 X5M with the -261 Index 7 injectors. Realoem says their superseded but searches on the internet show me -11 or even -12's. I'm not even sure I need injectors, but xbimmers.com threads have led me to believe such. I've found injectors on eBay for as little as $30 each used from other cars, but once again there's confusion. Can you help me out a bit here, both in clarification and maybe even some eBay listings? I'm at my wits end and I've only owned this thing for two weeks :-/

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...4#post18575734
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #108
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I know my injectors are the old -7 but there's 3 part numbers for the injector itself...I've seen -261 Index 12's and then I've seen sellers say they're -079 but still says -261 12 on the injector.

The PCV tubes had oil on the outside of both, but I'm sure doing 160+ didn't help either. I'm guessing i sucked in some oil, but the passenger bank is freaking out and flooding the engine with fuel as you can see in the pics...drivers turbo is covered in soot while the passengers has a sheen to it, and if left running, black liquid soot will run out the passenger side exhaust. What I thought was maybe a dirty MAF led me to researching where it was to remove and clean it, which in turn pointed me into injector threads like this.

I never said the plugs were wet because I haven't taken them out yet thanks to BMW needing a stupid special socket for them, which is now in the mail. I'll take the plugs out, inspect them and go from there. The 02 sensors on the passenger side were soaked with gas, so I don't believe I've got an oil issue. I've found a seller who's got -12 injectors for $100 each, many others have said they're had luck with Rockauto/SMP injectors.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...0#post18592160

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=836029

EDIT - guilty of pulling a newbie move...I didn't read the whole thread and started replying around page 5 Post #72 clarified my confusion, so now it's just finding a seller who's not charging that ///M tax.

Last edited by m5james; 09-16-2015 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #109
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

160mph is a lot of air volume as well. I've had little peppered sooting all over the back (it's a white paint job) ever since I ziptied open my exhaust valves and I drive it like I've got somewhere to be, so I just assumed it was lack of heavy foot until I had my current issues. Knowing that I've got the old style injectors, it sucks having to change them out two weeks into ownership but at this point I'm just going to chalk them up as a mod.

If on the wild chance the turbo(s) have leaking gaskets, I've been eyeing a set of turbos and headers from an F10 M5 as s swap anyways, I'm just waiting for clarification from Garrett as to their exact differences because realoem makes them appear exactly the same.
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...php?p=18561132
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #110
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

I have the original 01 revision injectors with absolutely no issues. I have a feeling that it boils down to how much ethanol is in the fuel. I have heard that the ethanol and water content in US fuels can crack the piezo plating material inside of the injector, causing them to underperform or fail.

I only use the highest octane Shell or Mobil gas I can find. I also think CT has some of the cleanest gasoline.