E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > aFe N54 Stage 2 Sealed CAI # 54-82002 - Review

04-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #23
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Where do you get the a and b part on the diagram??

Ah it only shows up if you choose 335i and not 135i
That is the elite Stage 2 version
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #24
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

So is it installed yet? Baseline?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #25
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
I am going to pick on you two on this and those who agree with your opinions. Your statement express how little you know about the stock intake vs the aFe Stage 2 SI for the N54.

BTW the aFe version intake I am testing DOES NOT cost $900. This version intake is the one that uses the STOCK snorkel. The cost on this intake is between $400-$500 and perhaps less than $400

Even the stage 2 SI Pro that you are referencing doesnt cost $900. You can get it for $700-$800 and perhaps less than $700

All off you should know because you are E90post.com members you get special pricing way below that marketing price.

The stock box intake air travel goes IN > UP > DOWN . It has to bank "SHARP" corners with through a SMALL space

The aFe intake air travel goesn IN > DOWN. The is not sharp bank cornering of the air. The air turning is ample wide with a rounded down "Y" spliters into the turbo inlets.

Here is a tech sheet on the airflow. I have sealed the box so there should be less restriction on the stock snorkel.
The reason this intake won't do much vs. the OEM airbox is that the inlet is basically the same size as stock. Those little snorkel openings are each 1" tall by 6" wide. The square opening on the OEM intake box is around 4" tall by 3" wide. Both are well matched at around 12 square inches. The problem is they need to be around 16 square inches+ to support higher boost levels at higher RPM. From what I can tell this AFE airbox will still be limited to around 12 square inches with the combined inlets.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #26
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9
I did a baseline today with the stock intake before i installed the aFe 7 hours ago. Just got back from PBIR, and now at Chillis having dinner.

Good night at the track, was doing 12.0 consecutive. Best speed trap was 116.

Just waiting for DME to fully adapt, couple pulls is not enough.

Last edited by BQTuning; 04-14-2012 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #27
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9
I did a baseline today with the stock intake before i installed the aFe 7 hours ago. Just got back from PBIR, and now at Chillis having dinner.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #28
imageautodetail
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335 silverback

Garage List
2008 335 e90  [0.00]
2007 e90 335  [5.00]
Quote:

First I will pick on you for eating at Chilis, then I will state that anybody can draw a pretty picture...lets see some actual numbers of stock box with drop in vs afe stage 2 sealed intake (unmodified)
      04-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #29
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imageautodetail View Post
First I will pick on you for eating at Chilis,
Salmon with brokley and rice. I was.......howgry

Quote:
Originally Posted by imageautodetail View Post
..........then I will state that anybody can draw a pretty picture...lets see some actual numbers of stock box with drop in vs afe stage 2 sealed intake (unmodified)
Can anybody draw a pretty picture of a 1/4 mile run ? There was a reason why I added this in support as dyno results and real world performance are two difference things.

No numbers will be posted online at this time of the RENNtech tune. The only numbers that will be posted are the gains or loss of the aFe intake complimented by a "pretty picture drawing" ie dyno graph of before and after and track runs. The verticle and horizontal numbers on the graph will be blurred out

Take it or leave it........Funny if the pretty drawing shows loss of HP and TQ it wouldnt be "...anybody can draw a pretty picture..."

As for the unmodified version of the aFe intake, when i bought it I was under the impression that it was SEALED like the stock intake. Some $10 modifications were made to make it SEALED. So myself and others will like to see what a SEALED aFe intake is capable of. I have no interest in testing an enclosed RAM intake
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #30
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I read your post last night but it was removed before I was able to reply. I really have no dog in this fight, I hope the intake does great for you, and I'd be happy to earn profit on selling someone one if they do work. My reply is simply my understanding of why you should not expect much from it.

For intake dyno testing, there is always day to day dyno variance and weather variance. My advice for the best comparison is to do same day back to back testing. Do 5 runs on the OEM intake until you get a stable reading, then do the same on the new intake until you get a stable reading, and then compare those consistent readings. It might even take 10 runs on each one until the results are stable. The DME will learn within a pull or two. When you are done it would be a good idea to also do a series of runs with the OEM airbox only with the top removed, this will simulate an open intake like the dual cone (best possible results), and run those until results are stable. So you can draw a conclusion from the open results as to just how well your sealed intake is flowing.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #31
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I read your post last night but it was removed before I was able to reply. I really have no dog in this fight, I hope the intake does great for you, and I'd be happy to earn profit on selling someone one if they do work. My reply is simply my understanding of why you should not expect much from it.
LOL ! It came across wrong, and didnt digest your post properly and took it the wrong way. Thats why I deleted it.

Quote:
For intake dyno testing, there is always day to day dyno variance and weather variance. My advice for the best comparison is to do same day back to back testing.
This is where intake tests are not able to get authentic numbers. This method leaves no time for the DME to adapt to the new mod. My personal experience is it can take days and miles for the DME to adapt in order to get authentic results

Quote:
...The DME will learn within a pull or two....
I disagree with you here on this. Having owned 4 BMWs, whereas two are Tubro Charged, couple of pulls in one day does not render "FULL" adaptation of the DME.

It takes miles and perhaps days for the DME to "FULLY" adapt to the new mod especially an intake.

It was more beneficial to do 6 runs on the track with the new intake after install, than 5 dyno runs on a base line
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #32
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Why is everyone coming in here like their .02 is worth a quarter? Guy is going out of his way to show results. If you dont like the results who cares? Move on. Its those types of people that dissuade others from posting results and trying to help the community. People in this community give a lot of slack to those actually trying to help. It's no wonder this board is the laughing stock among many, many of its members are immature especially when other members go out their way to try and help, for free.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #33
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

Uhhh

Why does Renntech/japtrix want the numbers to be kept secret?

Renntech publishes their ECU Tune numbers right on the website, so is it japtrix being useless?

Also thanks for doing this review, as your results will pretty much determine if I keep my stock box with a drop in, or buy one of these units.

Last edited by 135Hoser; 04-14-2012 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #34
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Hoser View Post
Uhhh

Why does Renntech/japtrix want the numbers to be kept secret?

Renntech publishes their ECU Tune numbers right on the website, so is it japtrix being useless?

Also thanks for doing this review, as your results will pretty much determine if I keep my stock box with a drop in, or buy one of these units.
Japtrix has nothing to do with RENNtech or wanting to keep numbers confidential ie "OFF THE NET"

Japtrix is my preffered mustang dyno shop, thats all.

RENNtech asked for their numbers not to be marketing or advertised as it is "a test tune" that has not been decided as to its stage level. You will not find numbers posted on their sight for any of their test tunes. What you see are their official tunes.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #35
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Buraq, why did you part ways with the Dinan CAI?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #36
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Buraq, why did you part ways with the Dinan CAI?
If I went back to the Dinan CAI I would have to remove my second radiator from the driver's side airduct and that was a no no.

I have retained the Dinan Oil Cooler with a bigger radiator and secondary radiator so i dont have to worry the least about cooling.

I have choosen the aFe N54 Stage 2 intake as it has ample room for improvements and it is flexable to work with.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #37
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
The reason this intake won't do much vs. the OEM airbox is that the inlet is basically the same size as stock. Those little snorkel openings are each 1" tall by 6" wide. The square opening on the OEM intake box is around 4" tall by 3" wide. Both are well matched at around 12 square inches. The problem is they need to be around 16 square inches+ to support higher boost levels at higher RPM. From what I can tell this AFE airbox will still be limited to around 12 square inches with the combined inlets.

Mike
Mike the afe still maintains the factory 4"x3" opening and has the auxiliary 3"x1.5" opening as well. On my car I set up the auxiliary port for cowl induction. I truly liked my afe sealed system as it was exactly what I was looking for from a design standpoint!

Last edited by TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management; 04-15-2012 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #38
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
scribed...

I feel like this thread is for me, lol.

Hope the results are good. I guess if there's any + I'll be happy.

People get so upset about intakes.....

If it was $100, would that be better?
      04-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #39
BT#2
Banned
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i n54 e92 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
That's a really nice extra hot air snorkel you've created there!
Right above the hot turbos and engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #40
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
^Well, it is sucking in outside air out away from the sealed engine bay and that silicon hose should do a decent job of insulating...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #41
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Mike the afe still maintains the factory 4"x3" opening and has the auxiliary 3"x1.5" opening as well. On my car I set up the auxiliary port for cowl induction. I truly liked my afe sealed system as it was exactly what I was looking for from a design standpoint!
Looks like an interesting setup! Each snorkel above the radiator is around 1"x6", then they merge to the 3"x4". So you have both of those feeding in the 3"x4", then an additional port going in the side of the air box? If so then your version of this should work much better than the drawing I saw above of the AFE air feeds.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #42
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

The elite stage 2 looks very interesting tho IMO it usesthe two scoops very well to feed two different sides of the intake no? I feel like it is definitely more beneficial than stock?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #43
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

The elite stage 2 looks very interesting tho IMO it usesthe two scoops very well to feed two different sides of the intake no? I feel like it is definitely more beneficial than stock?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #44
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com
Quote:
Looks like an interesting setup! Each snorkel above the radiator is around 1"x6", then they merge to the 3"x4". So you have both of those feeding in the 3"x4", then an additional port going in the side of the air box? If so then your version of this should work much better than the drawing I saw above of the AFE air feeds.

Mike
Thats why aFe designed two difference versions. The stand alone version which is the subject of this thread we have the option to customize it the way we want.

The other version, which is the same airbox, comes with two snorkels that utilize both inlets to the airbox.

What aFe needs to come up with is gaskets, and a rubber boot solution to completely seal the intake for those of us running higher boost.

If they don't do it I will have them made for this airbox IF my end results make it worth it.

Today is day three of having this intake on the 335is. The acceleration is smoother and with less input on the trottle and better response.

I will let the dyno and track times speak for themselves if indeed this setup does help with performance improvements.
Appreciate 0