E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil change interval?

09-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Metro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 ///M3

Oil change interval?

Hey folks, just wanted to see if anyone else has been told the same ridiculous thing. I have '07 e92 CPO and the full up warranty/maintenance plan runs out 23 September. I brought the car in for some regularly scheduled maintenance a couple months ago and asked if I could get my "annual" oil change at that point. (As most people know, you get an oil change whenever the car says it needs one, but some don't know that you are also entitled to at least one oil change in a 12 month period). I was advised that the car said it didn't need one (i.e. not enough mileage) and that the last oil change it had was in August of last year. I was told that I needed to wait until Sep 1, but had to make sure that I got it done before Sep 23rd to get the service that I am ENTITLED to. No prob, especially since I wouldn't be putting much mileage on as I would be spending the next month or so out to sea.
Fast forward to last week, bring the car in to get the oil change and get told that not only are the going to update the software in the DME (I have successfully avoided this until now), but they are NOT going to be able to perform the oil change. WHAT I get told that the regulations changed on Sep 1 - apparently it states that if the car has gone longer than 6000 miles an oil change cannot be performed?? Doesn't make any sense to me. Currently, the car has gone about 13K without an oil change because I keep waiting until the car/dealer says that I need one. I know that these cars are designed to run with larger intervals between oil changes, but this seems a little excessive. Anyone else seen this long an interval or heard this excuse?
      09-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

If you drive under 6k miles a year you'll get the annual oil change. Otherwise, you'll get the CBS indicated oil change in the vicinity of about 15k miles.

There are a zillion posts on this so please search.
Appreciate 0