E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just another day.....

05-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #23
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM View Post
I think I had a bad fuel injector cylinder#5. I believe this was the cause.
I had the same thing, W/O the fire option, leaking injector and smelled gas so I went in to service. They changed out all six, replaced with newer versions. WOW, terrible experience!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #24
NjRep335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Sorry to hear about your lose.
Did you have any warranty work done recently? Maybe they forgot to place the o-ring on the injector and never ensured they were tight.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #25
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Damn dude. That's shit luck. Hopefully it all gets sorted out in your favor.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #26
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Wow...

Could it of been a bad leak on your #5 injector?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #27
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Quote:
So, the insurance company may reimburse for mods-just not go fast mods?
"recent improvements" may increase the value of your car, minus depriciation. So you just put $1000 worth of tires on your car- they might go up by a couple hundred dollars for that if you have receipts. "go fast parts", i.e, downpipes, etc, which don't increase the cars value in the wholesale market (i.e, would a dealer pay more for your car because it is FBO? No. Because it has new tires and brakes? Maybe)

Bear in mind they will use CMC to pull the asking price by local dealers on 335i's in your area with similar mileage. They did that to me, but were including non-navi cars, and cars with AT's (I only drive MT), which seemed to lower the average. I countered with an autotrader search nationwide that showed only 12 335's in the entire country for sale with stick + navi, and argued they should use that value. I also showed reciepts for a new clutch, tires, and brakes within the last 6 months. A week later they adjusted their initial offer of 21k to 24.5k.

That said, every insurer is different. For example, USAA is extremely fair. Allstate, on the other hand, has a reputation for playing hardball and being cheap. My understanding is for a long time their policy was to pay 80% of a claims value, and to make you litigate for the other 20%.

Likewise, my circumstances and experience likely played a role in my (percieved) negotiation leverage. I had enough money in the bank to keep making my car payment and to wait them out. My experience in the insurance industry gave me the ability to intelligently threaten (subtly) to consider invoking the appraisal clause of my policy, and my experience with insurance law allowed me to subtly hint at "not accusing them of bad faith in settling my total loss..."
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #28
335xi Kevo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I had an issue with a fuel line after the dealer replaced my injectors under warranty. They slight cross threaded the hard line causing a "micro leak." Gas was misting under the the engine cover. Some days I wish I never had them fix it.
Procede 2.5, DCI, Forge DV, PWM, Scoops, KW V1, ETS 5" FMIC, VRSF Downpipes, M3 Skirts
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #29
Jhalf
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e92

man.. i just drove my car with a bad leaking #6 injector around during the beginning of last week for a few days. Didn't think I was under the risk or a fire at all.

Def wouldn't have done that had I seen this thread before.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #30
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep

WOW! Sorry for your loss

I remember when I had an injector problem, the car was extremely hard to start and literally flooded the cylinder with gas. The car would run really bad, stumble and want to die. Sucks to see man...

Michael
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #31
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Sorry Mike!!! this really sux!! I'll see you tomorrow!
      05-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #32
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

Time to get a 550i
      05-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #33
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Insurance company won't give you money for mods they will also use them against you if you mention them. I was in the insurance business for several years. I would not mention ANY modifications unless it's something trivial like wheels or suspension. They will be looking for any excuse not to put your claim in since Engine fires are rare.

They will likely ask you questions like when was the last time the car was serviced, where it was serviced, did it have any problems recently. Questions like what color was the smoke, what was the car doing prior to the problem, why did you keep driving ETC ETC. Be very careful what you tell them. My advice, less is more.

Although every insurance company is different from state to state, one thing is for sure, they dont like paying for claims.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #34
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

The mods you have listed will be a non issue with your insurance company. You have done nothing to modify the fuel system. Probably best not to mention the mods though unless they ask. I have a Buick GN that was heavly modified that caught fire due to a leaking meth solenoid (100% meth) at a local 1/4 mile track. The insurance addjuster came to my house (had it towed there from the track), look at the car, took some pictures of the vin plate and a few under the hood. The fire cooked everything in the engine compartment so it was hard to tell what was what. He did ask if I had done anything crazy to the engine and what I was doing at the track. I told him nothing was done to the engine (stock internals) and that I was running the 1/4 mile to see what my vintage car could do. Anyway (sorry for my rambling) I received a check 2 weeks later for more than enough to repair my car. I hope everything works out for you and Im glad you are ok... Note to all my fellow car enthusiasts (modders) I keep a fire extinguisher in all of my cars regardless of mods or if my meth tank is in the trunk!
      05-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #35
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
wow, really sorry to see this. glad no one was injured. GL with the claim and keep us posted.
      05-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #36
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Sorry to hear this and I'm glad that you didn't get hurt... But, there is some humor in all of this. I'm trying to figure out where the humor is; I'm definitely leaning towards the flames in that picture...
      05-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #37
mike_c79
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i sedan

Quote:
Driving home tonight my car was misfiring cylinder# 5. I only had a SES light and car wasn't running too bad. As I continue driving the car starts to stumble and I smell gas. Next thing the car stalls and when I try to restart the engine bay catches fire. The car was toast by the time the fire dept showed up. Anyone have any advice as how to handle the insurance company as far as mods are concerned? Comments.....
BMW has a recall out for a battery cable running from trunk to under hood that has been catching fire?? Could this be it?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #38
MrRager
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_c79 View Post
BMW has a recall out for a battery cable running from trunk to under hood that has been catching fire?? Could this be it?
im guessing you didnt see the picture at all
      05-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #39
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

^ lol
      05-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #40
mike_c79
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRager View Post
im guessing you didnt see the picture at all
I did see the picture.
Kind of hard to miss!
The cars that have caught fire from this cable have caught fire under the hood.
I am well aware that the cable travels from the trunk to all the way to under the hood.
My friends 335i looked the exact same as this picture and he was told it was due to the bad cable. may not be his same problem just throwing it out there..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #41
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Car fires happen all the time - meth is very rarely a factor.

Gasoline is much more flamable, if op had a fuel leak (he smelt fuel) then its quite conceivable that this would be the cause of the fire.
I was installing a oil cooler on a buddies car and he recently had a HPFP installed and notice the main feed fitting was completely loose.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #42
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
I was installing a oil cooler on a buddies car and he recently had a HPFP installed and notice the main feed fitting was completely loose.
Holy shit... and people wonder why i don't trust my car at the dealer here...

Woops, threadjack.. OP i hope your insurance is good to you, good luck!

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #43
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_c79 View Post
I am well aware that the cable travels from the trunk to all the way to under the hood.
My friends 335i looked the exact same as this picture and he was told it was due to the bad cable. may not be his same problem just throwing it out there..
The battery cable involved in the current recall DOES NOT go into the engine area. If does from the trunk (battery area) along the right rocker panel area (under the carpet) to the back of the junction box, which is located behind the glovebox.

I'm guessing this was surely an injector-related fire. I've seen plenty of these things leak bad enough to dump raw fuel into the exhaust, and actually be visible dripping out of the V-band area on the downpipe/turbo. If that happened with a hot engine and exhaust system and the driver kept driving, I could see this possibly happening.

This is the second time lately I've read on this forum of people just continuing to drive with the engine running poorly. Pull over and evaluate the situation..... it's in your best interest, and would have likely prevented the fire in this incident.
      05-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #44
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Wish you the best man, this sucks... Spoke to a guy in SoCal a few weeks back that had a fire also, but his was meth related. They totaled his car and he got enough to buy a 2010. Good luck.
Appreciate 0