E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VRSF Downpipe Fitment Experience

10-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
VRSF Downpipe Fitment Experience

I thought I would share my experience regarding my recent VRSF downpipe install. Ben & Taylor at Carolina Dyno (Wilmington, nc) allowed me to work with them during a two 2 day install in which we completed a Oil Filter Housing retro fit for oil cooler lines, Dual ER Oil Coolers, ER Charge Pipe-FMIC, DV vales, SS Brake Lines and VRSF Downpipes. If you are in Eastern NC check them out, these guys are ture professionals who do great work for resonable prices + plenty of experience with the n54/e90... including upgraded turbo installs.

To put it simple the downpipe install is tedious work in a tight space. During the install we had to put the pipes on and take them off several times in effort to try to clock them and adjust the mid-pipe hanger to gain acceptable clearance. However we could just not get them to have a reasonable clearance from the subframe on the passenger side and there would two large inverted torx bolts towards the drivers side that the one pipe was making contact with. So in the end we heated the pipes with a torch and pounded impressions into pipes for clearance issue areas. At the end of the day I am happy with the pipes especially for the price however, the fitment issues added about 1-1.5 hr to the install, just glad I was working with a shop that had lots of paitience to get them in right.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Hmmm, I'm running the same pipes on an '07 e92 and the guys at HPF installed them without any issues...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
just my experience with em...I likely got a bad set which from the forum reviews does not seem to be the norm. I'm sure Tiago at VSRF would warrented the fitement however, I decided I did want to deal with a return and instead beat them into submission to make em fit!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
johej
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
I thought I would share my experience regarding my recent VRSF downpipe install. Ben & Taylor at Carolina Dyno (Wilmington, nc) allowed me to work with them during a two 2 day install in which we completed a Oil Filter Housing retro fit for oil cooler lines, Dual ER Oil Coolers, ER Charge Pipe-FMIC, DV vales, SS Brake Lines and VRSF Downpipes. If you are in Eastern NC check them out, these guys are ture professionals who do great work for resonable prices + plenty of experience with the n54/e90... including upgraded turbo installs.

To put it simple the downpipe install is tedious work in a tight space. During the install we had to put the pipes on and take them off several times in effort to try to clock them and adjust the mid-pipe hanger to gain acceptable clearance. However we could just not get them to have a reasonable clearance from the subframe on the passenger side and there would two large inverted torx bolts towards the drivers side that the one pipe was making contact with. So in the end we heated the pipes with a torch and pounded impressions into pipes for clearance issue areas. At the end of the day I am happy with the pipes especially for the price however, the fitment issues added about 1-1.5 hr to the install, just glad I was working with a shop that had lots of paitience to get them in right.
I have a similar experiance.
I myself installed VRSF DPs this spring/summer (2012).
The pipe on the right side of the car was rubbing against the subframe, resulting in serious vibrations and resonance sound in the car.

Had to take the pipes down twice and adjust the mid-pipe hanger and try to pry both pipes towards the left side of the car.
Total 3x4 hours work.
I remember there is an aluminium heat shield that migh be cut off to create more space between the pipe and the subframe.

/Magnus, Sweden
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
wingman88
Rep
Drives: E91 335i N54

same experience here...we need 2 hours to find a good postition, to have no vibrations in the car!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
and instead beat them into submission to make em fit!
...That's sounds definitely like the right thing to do to a welded piece of steel. Beat it into submission.
      10-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
We so do guarantee fitment so if you're having any problems, just hit us via e-mail and we'll send you a return label as well as a new set of pipes.

A lot of these problems can be resolved by having a professional installer who knows the tricks, but there have been a few bad sets out there. We have 422 sets sold to date so a few bad sets is to be expected. However we are sending theses bad pipes back to the manufacturer so we can figure out exactly what went wrong with the process in order to find a way to eliminate it from happening again. We have a few things in mind that will be implemented into the next batch to ensure that we don't have to deal with the occasional misfit.

Again, we guarantee these for the life of your vehicle and we guarantee fitment so if there's ever a problem, just shoot us a message and we'll make sure to help you out
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
zztwinturbozz
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i xdrive

Coincidence that the only ones having fitment problems are the guys installing themselves?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
zeenon53
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

I just installed mine today and may have to adjust them. The front turbo's pipe is real close to the block. My rear was maybe a 1/64" away from the frame. How much do they actually flex or vibrate?
      11-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
bigbro6785
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

I had similar experience with install today. No matter how much I tweeked them they were rubbing somewhere. I ended up just getting them installed as far from the sub frame as I could, but they are tight against each other where they meet the exhaust, and tight against a tranny torx bolt. There is only a very minor rattle so I'm happy over all. I will live with it because I do not wanna go thru the install again. Most reviews I have read say that the fitment is spot on, so I guess I got a bad set too.
      11-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
We so do guarantee fitment so if you're having any problems, just hit us via e-mail and we'll send you a return label as well as a new set of pipes.

A lot of these problems can be resolved by having a professional installer who knows the tricks, but there have been a few bad sets out there. We have 422 sets sold to date so a few bad sets is to be expected. However we are sending theses bad pipes back to the manufacturer so we can figure out exactly what went wrong with the process in order to find a way to eliminate it from happening again. We have a few things in mind that will be implemented into the next batch to ensure that we don't have to deal with the occasional misfit.

Again, we guarantee these for the life of your vehicle and we guarantee fitment so if there's ever a problem, just shoot us a message and we'll make sure to help you out
Such an awesome company Did you ever release a finalized price for DPs + exhaust?
      11-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
New JerZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I had fitment issues also. I had AK motor works in NJ do a professional install and Kevin said it was the most difficult install he had ever done. He did however say he did several other installs of VRSF pipes and they were generally very good. The main issue with pulling the pipes off my car to send back would vt having to pay for labor a second time.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post

Great service you have and I have AR pipes and they fit perfect, my buddy has yours and I installed them as easy as the AR pipes....spot on fitment...only difference is I over paid but I must say ar are great pipes and so are yours.

I installed both on rhino ramps lol!!
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Great service you have and I have AR pipes and they fit perfect, my buddy has yours and I installed them as easy as the AR pipes....spot on fitment...only difference is I over paid but I must say ar are great pipes and so are yours.

I installed both on rhino ramps lol!!
Reading this thread I'm glad I got ARs... save some money or guaranteed hassle free fitment.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztwinturbozz View Post
Coincidence that the only ones having fitment problems are the guys installing themselves?
Not quite the case....I had a shop with lots of experience
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
Reading this thread I'm glad I got ARs... save some money or guaranteed hassle free fitment.

Usually, by the time you pay the labor to have Chinese downpipes uninstalled and re-installed a few times by a competent shop, you've bought and paid for a set of quality downpipes and then some!
      11-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #17
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post

Usually, by the time you pay the labor to have Chinese downpipes uninstalled and re-installed a few times by a competent shop, you've bought and paid for a set of quality downpipes and then some!
This is true, and has happened to quite a few people who bought Chinese pipes down here. AR
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:

Id love to hear you say that on terrys forum. His dp come from china but fit perfectly, so people say...

Dp's are a difficult install for anyone. Its tricky and you really must have experience otherwise itll rub. Back in 08 my AR pipes rubbed on the passenger heat shield. I ended up having to bend the shield back from the dp for the rattling to stop. So ill say AR dp are far from being flawless.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #19
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
Id love to hear you say that on terrys forum. His dp come from china but fit perfectly, so people say...

Dp's are a difficult install for anyone. Its tricky and you really must have experience otherwise itll rub. Back in 08 my AR pipes rubbed on the passenger heat shield. I ended up having to bend the shield back from the dp for the rattling to stop. So ill say AR dp are far from being flawless.
99.99% of the time, that comes from incorrect alignment. If there was any issue, we would have replaced them for free under our lifetime warranty!
      11-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
adictedtopoker
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
99.99% of the time, that comes from incorrect alignment. If there was any issue, we would have replaced them for free under our lifetime warranty!
Same could be said for VRSF DPs. I don't see the hate on the manufacturing location. Most people have had zero issues with correct installation. Installation isn't even hard.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #21
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by adictedtopoker View Post
Same could be said for VRSF DPs. I don't see the hate on the manufacturing location. Most people have had zero issues with correct installation. Installation isn't even hard.
The same definitely cannot be said. When my local installer attempted to install two different VRSF downpipe sets, the fitment was garbage. They wouldn't go in no matter what he did. After this experience, and VRSF saying it was install error, he isn't touching VRSF pipes anymore. AR, AA, and Raceland were all perfect according to him.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #22
zeel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW e92 335i

Garage List
I've had both AR and VRSF and they both fit fine.
Appreciate 0