E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Mishimoto FMIC Help needed

04-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #67
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
You seem to be making an assumption that price = quality. I absolutely agree that intercoolers require a fair amount of design which is why our intercooler has proven to support over 800whp on this very platform. I'm not sure how many other options on this market can claim as much but if there was a quality/design concern, I think the recent single turbo record holder would be able to contest that statement:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1104103

On the subject of flow restriction from the stepped core, you'll see a higher restriction from the smaller restrictive OEM connectors in comparison to an added step. I completely understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'd hold off on the assumptions until you have first hand experience with the product. We offer a cost effective solution without sacrificing any performance or cutting any corners. If paying that BMW tax on a product makes you believe there's an added benefit, I guess that's your prerogative
I meant no disrespect. I was simply stating my opinion based on my review of the options out there (which, as you say I am entitled to). Like I said, one of the things I want to get is an anodized black unit which you do not offer. I also, as an engineer, do not like the stepped design. That is my choice.

I have bought my KW V1's through you and it was a great transaction. I am grateful for you as a forum sponsor. In this case, however, I have chosen to go a different route and I ask that you respect that.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #68
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
I have bought my KW V1's through you and it was a great transaction. I am grateful for you as a forum sponsor. In this case, however, I have chosen to go a different route and I ask that you respect that.
My comment wasn't an attempt to sway you. It's intent was simply to defend our brand and educate potential buyers
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 06:41 PM   #69
HP_HOUND
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Now that I've seen both the VRSF and the Mish. I can say that the VRSF have very good build quality and I think they have thought out the details more. For example, the bolt hole on the passenger side the FMIC, the one that the #20 Torque bolt passes thru is slotted. This simple detail give you a better fit. I noticed when I installed the Mish which didn't have the slot, I had to pass the bolt through on a slight angle because the bolt hole didn't exactly line up. It is a small detail but one that show the product was well thought out.

I can send you some pictures of the build quality. Nice welds, etc.

Also, I've seen guys complain about the product packaging from VRSF. That is not my experience The item was packaged appropriately, so if there ever was a packaging issue that has been worked out.

To recap, I'm very impressed with the build quality and if I had to guess the price difference is probably due to labor costs in the USA vs. Asia. The more expensive lines are probably made in the USA.

From what I've seen VRSF is offering a very good product at very low prices. In fact I'm fixing to purchase some of their wheel spacers tonight. The Down pipe was nice quality, now the FMIC appears to be good quality, so I'm going with their wheels spacers.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #70
grizz311
Captain Rus
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i coupe

Have installed a couple VRSF inter coolers in the past. Top notch quality.
      04-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #71
LiquidxStorm
.some.assembly.required.
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Saloon (e90)

Garage List
2011 335i / e90  [0.00]
Hey mishimoto, what's the usual turnaround time for a warranty request?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #72
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidxStorm View Post
Good luck. I am going on 2 weeks so far with no ETA in sight.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #73
LiquidxStorm
.some.assembly.required.
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Saloon (e90)

Garage List
2011 335i / e90  [0.00]

Yikes!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #74
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yikes!
Lol! Nice.

I just called and spoke with Phomma. He says they have a replacement unit confirmed at their warehouse and it should be shipping today. I should have tracking information by this evening.

As I said before, I understand the issue and failures happen. Phomma indicated they were working to isolate and segregate the intercoolers that have this defect so the delay is understandable. It sounds like it was a good sized batch that exhibited this defect as well. I was (and still am to a degree) frustrated by the lack of communication though. A simple email with the status would have been enough to eliminate this confusion.

I am looking forward to getting the replacement intercooler and installing it. I will post my impressions when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #75
mishimoto
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
No tracking info from Mishimoto yet on my replacement intercooler. I was told I should have it by the end of this week though.
Quote:
No information from Mishimoto yet. I do not think I will be getting my replacement intercooler tomorrow. I am starting to get pretty frustrated here.
Quote:
Yeah, I am getting pretty angry at this. I tried calling them but no one answered and I had to leave a message. I am not optimistic about getting a call back.

Honestly, this is about communication, not the product. As I had said before, I can understand an error in manufacturing that escaped quality control. It happens. What is making this 100 times worse is that I am getting almost no communication out of Mishimoto and what little I do get is either vague or inaccurate. If you do not have good product to ship, then tell me. Give me an estimate of when you expect to have product available and let me make a decision on how I want to proceed. Do not string your customer along. Keep in mind that this issue is in the public view by way of this forum. If you ever hope to sell your product to this group going forward you need to make this right.
Quote:
Thanks. Like I said, I can understand the manufacturing issues, it happens. But they are really dropping it now with the lack of communication.

I was actually looking at the Ambient Thermal Management FMIC that is currently going on a group buy. I like the build quality and finish of the part. I am not big on the stepped designs though. That is one of the reasons I liked the Mishimoto design. Adding that step makes the internal airflow pattern very complex and any time you make air turn you induce backpressure and losses.

I am not a fan of VRSF stuff. I am certain they work for a lot of folks but their parts strike me as cheaply made a bit. For simple things like a chargepipe or simple tubing, that is fine. But a FMIC requires a fair amount of design consideration to be done well.

I also really want to find one that offers a black finish. Anodized preferrably.

I am going to give Mishimoto one more chance on Monday to address when I will be seeing my part. If they fail to answer the phone or my emails then I am done with them.
Quote:
Good luck. I am going on 2 weeks so far with no ETA in sight.
Quote:
Lol! Nice.

I just called and spoke with Phomma. He says they have a replacement unit confirmed at their warehouse and it should be shipping today. I should have tracking information by this evening.

As I said before, I understand the issue and failures happen. Phomma indicated they were working to isolate and segregate the intercoolers that have this defect so the delay is understandable. It sounds like it was a good sized batch that exhibited this defect as well. I was (and still am to a degree) frustrated by the lack of communication though. A simple email with the status would have been enough to eliminate this confusion.

I am looking forward to getting the replacement intercooler and installing it. I will post my impressions when it arrives.
Hey Jason,

I truly apologize for the lack of communication in regards to obtaining a replacement unit. As you noted we were working on inspecting and segregating units from the affected batch to ensure our existing stock contained only correctly manufactured units.

From what I understand Phomma spoke with you on the phone earlier today and your replacement unit has shipped out.

Our replacement process is normally far quicker than this, however this was a unique situation that required a bit more attention from our team. I apologize for the delay and the inconvenience.

Please let us know when the cooler arrives.

Thanks
-John

Quote:
Typical turnaround time for a warranty request is 24-48 hours from submission to tracking information. This is implying we receive all of the necessary information and images within a timely manner. We do our best to send out replacement components ASAP as we understand having a vehicle down is rather inconvenient. As noted above, this particular exchange required some additional steps compared to our normal process.

We do apologize for the delay guys!

Thanks
-John
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:10 PM   #76
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I just received the replacement intercooler. It appears to be in immaculate condition. Comparing the drivers side coupling you can see there is a definite difference in clocking (bad one is on top).

I am having it installed tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will be uneventful and I will be out of there is great shape.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:11 PM   #77
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I just received the replacement intercooler. It appears to be in immaculate condition. Comparing the drivers side coupling you can see there is a definite difference in clocking (bad one is on top).

I am having it installed tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will be uneventful and I will be out of there is great shape.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 12:06 AM   #78
HP_HOUND
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

looks like it should fit perfectly. good luck

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #79
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Good deal, man. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #80
mishimoto
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:

Great to hear the replacement arrived! Let us know how the installed goes.

-John
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #81
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I just got back from the shop. They were able to install the replacement unit with a little difficulty. They said the drivers side coupling was still off but not by much. They said it was about 1/8 inch and they were able to get some slack in the OEM up-pipe to get the connection to seat. It sounds like this unit is better but not 100% OEM fitment still. The intercooler is installed and appears to be functional now. Hopefully it will not give me problems later on.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #82
FL335
Banned
Rep

You're going to like the STAGE 1 FMIC+ Aggressive Map...just a solid difference. Get a pro tune it will be lights out fast.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #83
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL335 View Post
You're going to like the STAGE 1 FMIC+ Aggressive Map...just a solid difference. Get a pro tune it will be lights out fast.
Yup! I am flashing as we speak. I will be contacting PTF shortly to get the pro-tune process going too.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #84
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yup! I am flashing as we speak. I will be contacting PTF shortly to get the pro-tune process going too.
Stock Cobb tune to PT is sick....you're going to be in great shape!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 09:33 PM   #85
HP_HOUND
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm experiencing problems with the Cobb Stage 2 maps. I have a gut feeling it is tied to the down pipe / performance exhaust. See my thread on this. Since you are not running a down pipe and will be stage 1 plus FMIC, I'm curious to see if you experience any of these backfiring issues / shuttering. I hope you don't. Keep us posted on how your n55 adapts to the tune.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #86
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So far so good. It feels pretty strong and I haven't noticed any hesitation yet. I haven't driven much on it yet though. I plan to get a Pro-Tune so the OTS maps will be moot anyways.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #87
mishimoto
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I just got back from the shop. They were able to install the replacement unit with a little difficulty. They said the drivers side coupling was still off but not by much. They said it was about 1/8 inch and they were able to get some slack in the OEM up-pipe to get the connection to seat. It sounds like this unit is better but not 100% OEM fitment still. The intercooler is installed and appears to be functional now. Hopefully it will not give me problems later on.
Great to hear the cooler is installed! Forwarding this minor fitment issue on to our team for further evaluation.

Thanks for your patience with this!

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 11:47 AM   #88
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishimoto View Post
Great to hear the cooler is installed! Forwarding this minor fitment issue on to our team for further evaluation.

Thanks for your patience with this!

Enjoy.
Thanks. I am in the midst of my Pro-Tune with PTF now. The power level is a little much to get used to.

I will comment to folks that are complaining about the OEM style connectors. The Dinan unit also uses these connectors so they can't be all that restrictive.
Appreciate 0