E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > replacing turbos and DPs, diy or not?

06-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

Question replacing turbos and DPs, diy or not?

My turbos are essentially shot so I picked up a set of OEM replacements over the weekend along with some downpipes. The question is, is this a diy job or do you recommend just taking it to a shop. I am pretty handy with mechanics, brakes, exhaust, manifolds, suspension. Ive done things like that im just hesitant because it does seem like quite the job. So what are your thoughts should I just go for it? And if so do you have any suggestions when doing it?

Also any shops on the southeast who will do this job for a decent price?

Last edited by Chris_506; 06-14-2013 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
It's a PITA without a lift. Although some have done it just fine. But it's definitely a bigger job than suspension/brakes. If you give yourself a full weekend to do it and aren't discouraged by snapped manifold studs, go for it. Use a lot of liquid wrench
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
V8bait
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt

It's more time consuming than hard. Basically, you have to remove the downpipes, intercooler and chargepipes and all that those mods entail. Drain fluids and remove the subframe (requires hoist or equivalent if you're on the ground or a tranny jack if you have a lift). I have heard of people who just drop the subframe an inch or so in their driveway but that would make it a little more complicated. If you're on your back I'd budget an entire weekend to it. I also assume you have a nice set of tools, air, etc.

Make a DIY if you do I'm sure people would appreciate it. And don't forget to pick up all the gaskets and seals around it. More importantly, why not let the dealer warranty them? They are warrantied for a long time if I'm not mistaken, like 84k miles?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Blaster400
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i, Porsche Macan S

Garage List
Here is DIY for upgraded turbos but should be mostly the same procedure for OEMs. Good luck! http://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.ph...cs-guide.9756/
      06-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8bait View Post
It's more time consuming than hard. Basically, you have to remove the downpipes, intercooler and chargepipes and all that those mods entail. Drain fluids and remove the subframe (requires hoist or equivalent if you're on the ground or a tranny jack if you have a lift). I have heard of people who just drop the subframe an inch or so in their driveway but that would make it a little more complicated. If you're on your back I'd budget an entire weekend to it. I also assume you have a nice set of tools, air, etc.

Make a DIY if you do I'm sure people would appreciate it. And don't forget to pick up all the gaskets and seals around it. More importantly, why not let the dealer warranty them? They are warrantied for a long time if I'm not mistaken, like 84k miles?
What do you mean with let them warranty them? I didnt get them from bmw
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
What do you mean with let them warranty them? I didnt get them from bmw
He meant if your within the wastegate/turbo recall period of 8 years/84k miles warranty...then have bmw change them for you instead of paying out of pocket...

Im assuming you arent under that mileage tho...either way please take some time to do a DIY if your that type...would be awesome and many would appreciate it!
      06-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Definitely a pain in the ass. Very time consuming though. There are a few bolts that are a complete pita to get to...

A good selection of sockets/ratchets/extensions/ etc is all required...

The subframe doesn't come out but the engine mount does.... But a jack under the oil pan and chunk of 2x4 between the engine and the subframe makes that liveable....

First time took me 16 hours on my back. 2nd time was about 14... 3rd time was like 13... Some bolts just suck !!!!

So. Yea. If you have patience and are prepared to spend a whole weekend with the car on ramps and another jack under the engine... Have a bunch of tools. Normal sockets and Torx bits and Torx/E sockets.... Various ratchets etc. it's doable....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I wouldn't do it unless you have another vehicle to get you through the week. There's plenty of stubborn parts that can require another trip to the dealer when removing the OEM turbos.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
I wouldn't do it unless you have another vehicle to get you through the week. There's plenty of stubborn parts that can require another trip to the dealer when removing the OEM turbos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
Definitely a pain in the ass. Very time consuming though. There are a few bolts that are a complete pita to get to...

A good selection of sockets/ratchets/extensions/ etc is all required...

The subframe doesn't come out but the engine mount does.... But a jack under the oil pan and chunk of 2x4 between the engine and the subframe makes that liveable....

First time took me 16 hours on my back. 2nd time was about 14... 3rd time was like 13... Some bolts just suck !!!!

So. Yea. If you have patience and are prepared to spend a whole weekend with the car on ramps and another jack under the engine... Have a bunch of tools. Normal sockets and Torx bits and Torx/E sockets.... Various ratchets etc. it's doable....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooringhusky View Post
He meant if your within the wastegate/turbo recall period of 8 years/84k miles warranty...then have bmw change them for you instead of paying out of pocket...

Im assuming you arent under that mileage tho...either way please take some time to do a DIY if your that type...would be awesome and many would appreciate it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8bait View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster400 View Post
Here is DIY for upgraded turbos but should be mostly the same procedure for OEMs. Good luck! http://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.ph...cs-guide.9756/
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
It's a PITA without a lift. Although some have done it just fine. But it's definitely a bigger job than suspension/brakes. If you give yourself a full weekend to do it and aren't discouraged by snapped manifold studs, go for it. Use a lot of liquid wrench
Thank you very much for all of your input gentleman, after taking it all in i think i have come to the conclusion that i don't have the time or all the proper tools to do it

sooo with that said i found a local indy shop that is pretty reputable and they are charging me 6-8hrs @$90/hr to do both turbos and the downpipes, how do you gentleman feel about that? i guess worse case scenario it would be around $720, and they do practice fair labor rates so i have peace of mind they wont charge me for standing around like the dealership, thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
georgelb
nsomneeak
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
$720 is a really fair price, especially from a reputable indy that will warranty (labor) their install.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I'd pay that much all day vs attempting to do it myself on jack stands with limited tools! That price is more than fair.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Turbos on jack stands would be....frustrating. $720 is outstanding for the labor, jump on that deal OP.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Jump on that quote for sure, not even a question at that price. I just paid a shop 700 to install new clutch and flywheel, best I could find around me
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
johnnyboi418
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan 09

dam op dont do it. Take it to a shop
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #15
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
I'd pay that much all day vs attempting to do it myself on jack stands with limited tools! That price is more than fair.

I'm with you on that -- in a shop on a lift maybe a different story.

I have a feeling the shop doesn't know what they're in for with the turbo job. Unless they do a ton of them and know exactly what to do, they are going to get screwed on their labor quote. Start to finish in an 8 hour work day is tough.
      06-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

720 to start but that could easily climb if studs start snapping.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I'm with you on that -- in a shop on a lift maybe a different story.

I have a feeling the shop doesn't know what they're in for with the turbo job. Unless they do a ton of them and know exactly what to do, they are going to get screwed on their labor quote. Start to finish in an 8 hour work day is tough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92oholic View Post
720 to start but that could easily climb if studs start snapping.
The guy doing them has done 6 of them so I would assume he knows his way around them, the master tech won his first award in 1989 as a german engineer and has several other awards in the past 25 years so im hoping and assuming the quote was accurate, dropped it off tonight and they said it would be ready friday by noon so lets hope for the best! He was confident they could finish it in under 8hrs
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #18
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep

6 turbo swaps on n54 engines that is. However not all 335s..some 1 series as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh and from speaking with the tech briefly he said hes found the quickest way to do it is to drop the engine/trans with the subframe altogether and remove the turbos that way. More room and more efficient apparently
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
SCS15
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

That sounds like some really good pricing on the labor. Id jump on it, and even more so that the tech has experience on n54's. Good luck
JB4 G5 - Forge FMIC - VRSF V2 DP - Magnaflow 15529 Catback Exhaust - BMS Clutch Stop - BMS DCI - CDV Delete - Dinan Stage 3 Suspension - 19x8.5/10 Forgestar F14 Gloss Gunmetal - Michelin PSS - M-Sport Front & Rear - M3 Side Skirts - OEM M3 Decklid Spoiler - BMW Performance Grilles - ZHP Shift Knob - M-Sport Steering Wheel - M-Sport Door Sills
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
Oh and from speaking with the tech briefly he said hes found the quickest way to do it is to drop the engine/trans with the subframe altogether and remove the turbos that way. More room and more efficient apparently

I've never thought of doing it that way, but it would obviously make things much easier to get to once the engine is out. I'm not sure how much faster it would really be, though.

As long as he's standing by his labor quote for you, that's all that matters. That's a great deal.
      06-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #22
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

$720 is an absolute steal! Good find, jump on it!!

As for the DIY comments, I tend to agree with inthemiddle above the most.

Rob
Appreciate 0