E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > '07 335i not start (new symptom) - help

10-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
Spazdoc
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 C63S, 2001 S4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
'07 335i not start (new symptom) - help

I searched, and found some similar posts about this, but most people with fuel pump issues have had some warning about the failure (rough idle, rough start). I have not had anything out of the ordinary with the car since I bought it. The only reason why I have been to the dealer aside form schedule maintenance is for the oil cooler upgrade. I have not noticed any rough idle in the past. Normally the RPMs go up to about 1500 and then will drop to about 700 rpm (not exact, I never really looked at the exact numbers based on how long the car hase been off or cold). No warnig lights except for low windshield washer fluid this week.

Car is a 2007 335i, build date of FEB2007, received in May 2007, the only mods are Streamline panel intake filter, DiMisa tips. I have never had a chip, but I was planning on Dinan next spring.

Yesterday I was out shopping with the family, filled the car with fuel (93 octance, have receipt) and drive the 30 miles home. No problems, even driving up to 120 mph with smooth driving. Parked the car in the parking garage. It was a cool evening, dropping into the 40s.

This morning I went to start car at 0745, and the car would crank for about 10 seconds, sputter at about 1500-2000 RPM, and then sputter down to about 500 rpm before dying. If I hit the gas pedal before it dies, I can get the rpms up and it runs a little, but then it eventually dies again. Lights are all on, cranks normally (except it takes twice as long), and I have little more than 3/4 tank of gas. The only warning light is a yellow "SERVICE ENGINE SOON." No limp mode during driving in the past.

The is no abnormal smoke coming from tailpipes, the flapper valve is open when off (I have DiMisa tips, and I think that it gets stuck open sometimes).

My only thoughts are bad fuel pump (without any prior warning), clogged fuel line filter, or diesel fuel. The only reason why I thought diesel is because it happened with my last car - a Mobil gas station filled their premium fuel tanks with diesel by mistake and every car that filled with premium received diesel by mistake. That God I save receipts. But in that situation I has tons of balck smoke billowing from the tailpipes.

I need the car towed to the dealership from the parking garage - real PITA!

Anyone have ideas of what is going on?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

other than the fuel pump, you might want to check the intake piping as something might have come loose.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Spazdoc
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Interesting. Any area I should specifically check. On cursory glance, it looked intact this am.

I just retried it 4 hours later and no luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazdoc View Post
I searched, and found some similar posts about this, but most people with fuel pump issues have had some warning about the failure (rough idle, rough start). I have not had anything out of the ordinary with the car since I bought it. The only reason why I have been to the dealer aside form schedule maintenance is for the oil cooler upgrade. I have not noticed any rough idle in the past. Normally the RPMs go up to about 1500 and then will drop to about 700 rpm (not exact, I never really looked at the exact numbers based on how long the car hase been off or cold). No warnig lights except for low windshield washer fluid this week.

Car is a 2007 335i, build date of FEB2007, received in May 2007, the only mods are Streamline panel intake filter, DiMisa tips. I have never had a chip, but I was planning on Dinan next spring.

Yesterday I was out shopping with the family, filled the car with fuel (93 octance, have receipt) and drive the 30 miles home. No problems, even driving up to 120 mph with smooth driving. Parked the car in the parking garage. It was a cool evening, dropping into the 40s.

This morning I went to start car at 0745, and the car would crank for about 10 seconds, sputter at about 1500-2000 RPM, and then sputter down to about 500 rpm before dying. If I hit the gas pedal before it dies, I can get the rpms up and it runs a little, but then it eventually dies again. Lights are all on, cranks normally (except it takes twice as long), and I have little more than 3/4 tank of gas. The only warning light is a yellow "SERVICE ENGINE SOON." No limp mode during driving in the past.

The is no abnormal smoke coming from tailpipes, the flapper valve is open when off (I have DiMisa tips, and I think that it gets stuck open sometimes).

My only thoughts are bad fuel pump (without any prior warning), clogged fuel line filter, or diesel fuel. The only reason why I thought diesel is because it happened with my last car - a Mobil gas station filled their premium fuel tanks with diesel by mistake and every car that filled with premium received diesel by mistake. That God I save receipts. But in that situation I has tons of balck smoke billowing from the tailpipes.

I need the car towed to the dealership from the parking garage - real PITA!

Anyone have ideas of what is going on?
that is really messed up...
i would blow the gas station up for that kind of mistake.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Spazdoc
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnator View Post
that is really messed up...
i would blow the gas station up for that kind of mistake.
I definitely wanted to do that after dealing with Mobil's insurance company. Took a call to one of the higher ups to get them to quit hassling me for full repairs after the incident.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
Spazdoc
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Okay, first of all, thank you to all of the people that took a look in here and gave some thoughts or comments. Additionally, I appreciate all of the work that everyone else has done in regards to the fuel pump issues.

Tried to start the car, could not do it even with giving extra gas while cold (got it up to 3K RPM for a couple seconds), but the tow truck driver actually almost floored it and kept it at 5K, and after about 5 seconds of this the endine stayed on. The engine symbol finally popped up on the screen. Got it towed to the dealership, since it did not sound reliable, and they took it in. Ful pump was the culprit and they did all of the service (including an oil change that I requested, on me).

One thing wass that they were so busy recently so that they had neither loaners or rentals available (they have a rental guy inside the dealership) when I called at 7am. So I decided to come in with the tow anyway, and by the time I got there at 1000 am, my regular SA had already found another rental car company for a loaner while things were repaired. I also did not get hassled about the fuel pump. I do not know if it is the same at other dealers, but every car is assigned to a specific SA, so that you always deal with the same person.

I have to say that Foreign Motors West in Natick, MA is a superb dealership and has treated me fantastically every step of the way! I would stay with them and purchase the next vehicle from them, if I was not moving to Chicago in a month.

I just fond it odd that the fuel pump manifested itself so dramatically without any prior warnings. Like I said, the beast ran great until the day of failure.
Appreciate 0