E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Holiday Suggestions

05-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Holiday Suggestions

Im wanting to book a family holiday for myself, my wife and my 2 year old daughter Molly. Probably sometime in July or August for a week. Must be somewhere that is family/child friendly - must be warm and sunny - ideally a beach type holiday where my wife can just chill, relax, read her book and i can build sandcastles with Molly!!! Ive been thinking about Greece - but cant decide which island - dont want to go somewhere full of English footy louts obviously!! I would love to go back to Dubai but everything ive looked at is so bloody expensive and i want to try and keep the cost down if i can - now Molly is 2yrs old you have to pay for her flight etc. Can anyone make some serious suggestions so i can narrow my search down?? Much appreciated!!
      05-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

have a look at Fuerterventura in the canaries - great beaches, nice place to relax
      05-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Check some of these places out -

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Inspira...c1-Europe.html

How is Molly on plane journeys?
      05-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Have you ever thought of Turkey - cheap and has one of the best unknown beaches.

http://www.bugbog.com/beaches/turkey...ictures_1.html
      05-29-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
went to the four seasons in cyprus 2 years ago and its the best place to take break, dont have to get up early for your sun bed, eating your breakfast on decking ontop of big carp fishes, and they treated my daughter like a princess, they have there own beach and jet skis too, its hard to go anywhere else as it beats other places
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 03:55 AM   #6
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
went to the four seasons in cyprus 2 years ago and its the best place to take break, dont have to get up early for your sun bed, eating your breakfast on decking ontop of big carp fishes, and they treated my daughter like a princess, they have there own beach and jet skis too, its hard to go anywhere else as it beats other places
You eat your breakfast on top of a deck on a big carp fish?
      05-29-2009, 04:16 AM   #7
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
yes its a big pond and has decking over it with table and chairs,

no work today will
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 05:07 AM   #8
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for all the great suggestions guys - much appreciated. Molly is pretty good with flying - we have been taking her away overseas since she was about 12 weeks old, so she is used to it all now!! I bet the Four Seasons is pretty expensive - ive stayed at quite a few of their resorts and theyve always been pricey. Ive heard good things about trip advisor - so thanks for that Will.
      05-29-2009, 05:15 AM   #9
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Santa Ponsa in Majorca. Great beach, totally family friendly and not anywhere as expensive as some of the places mentioned. It will be pretty busy but it has a knack of being busy without feeling really crowded.

A slightly more expensive but quieter resort with even better beaches, is Port Pollenca which does not have huge amounts of wild night life and is great for couples and people with young children. The eating out is also terrific there.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 05:16 AM   #10
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Which is the best Greek island in peoples opinion?? I want to avoid the fish 'n chip chavvy Brit brigade - for some reason Corfu makes me think of them - probably unfair?? I really quite like the idea of Greece - havent been for over a decade but used to love Greece with my parents - but guess a lot has changed?? Looking for a nice relaxing place, great local food, idyllic beaches etc. Any thoughts??
      05-29-2009, 05:20 AM   #11
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Alan - we are a huge fan of Mallorca - we got married in a beautiful boutique hotel out there called Los Naranjos owned by some lovely Germans - think theyve returned it back to a private residence now but damn it was an awsome place. We stay in Porta Portals when we go - mega expensive and has become a bit of a celeb haunt so we are edging away from it now. Kind of want to try somewhere different as we have done Mallorca quite a bit now. Thanks anyway for your suggestion.
      05-29-2009, 05:36 AM   #12
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
We visited here once and it was beautiful.

http://www.aeginagreece.com/
      05-29-2009, 06:47 AM   #13
brett23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 330d M Sport

Hi Steve

Dont know if this is any use to you. When you mentioned Dubai. Free child places with emirates.

http://www.letsgo2.com/emirates_offers.php
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Greece is lovely, how about the mainland? Or maybe island hopping?

Corfu is actually a beautiful island if you actually explore the place, Kefalonia is very nice, Lesbos has a very Greek feel to it or how about Santorini, I imagine it is much more popular now but not with the chav crowd I don't imagine.

Other ideas -
Sardinia
Sicily

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Which is the best Greek island in peoples opinion?? I want to avoid the fish 'n chip chavvy Brit brigade - for some reason Corfu makes me think of them - probably unfair?? I really quite like the idea of Greece - havent been for over a decade but used to love Greece with my parents - but guess a lot has changed?? Looking for a nice relaxing place, great local food, idyllic beaches etc. Any thoughts??
Hi Steve

We go to Greece a lot and have just booked 2 weeks in Skiathos for the third year. We've visited many of the islands, but Skiathos really is something special and has the advantage of having its own small airport. It's a fantastic island, compact with a good bus service that runs regularly and late and stops at loads of amazing beaches. You can also access the mountains and wilder beaches by jeep or boat. The main town is very cosmopolitan with lots of nice restaurants and good bars and the Brits who do go are definitely not lager drinking chavs! We stay in a little resort with a few tavernas and bars and catch the water taxi into the main town as the sun sets. Idyllic! We now know the owner of the apartments we stay in and he came to England last November and stayed with us! Can't wait to go there again in August! PM me if you want to know more. Some pics to get you thinking and a useful weblink!

Gav

http://www.skiathosinfo.com/
Attached Images

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 03:54 AM   #16
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Gav - that looks and sounds absolutely perfect and is now top of my list!!! We are away this weekend - but next week i want to look into getting something booked. I havent clicked on your link yet above - but can i book somewhere via that link or is it just info on the island?? I was thinking of a hotel ideally so that it is a safer environment for my 2yr old daughter - can you recommend a really nice family style hotel there??? Thanks again matey. PM if its easier. Steve
      05-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #17
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Garage List
It's a fabulous and very, very safe island, apart from the usual Greek driving! I'll PM with some info and details when I get a minute.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #18
discostu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Garage List
Thassos in northern Greece was very nice when we visited a few years ago, mainly Greek people holidaying there in very small hotels.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Thassos in northern Greece was very nice when we visited a few years ago, mainly Greek people holidaying there in very small hotels.
Yeh...we got stuck in the town there until the first bus of the morning because the taxis had stopped! At 12.30am! We were with another couple with a 6 year old and our daughter was 10 and the local police were most unhelpful. We ended up sheltering in a restaurant area until dawn broke! Not a good experience unfortunately! Beautiful island though.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 02:45 AM   #20
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I expect the local feds would have been more helpful if you'd 'offered' them some money!!
      05-31-2009, 03:17 AM   #21
discostu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
Yeh...we got stuck in the town there until the first bus of the morning because the taxis had stopped! At 12.30am! We were with another couple with a 6 year old and our daughter was 10 and the local police were most unhelpful. We ended up sheltering in a restaurant area until dawn broke! Not a good experience unfortunately! Beautiful island though.
Damn that's harsh, especially with your little ones.... did you at least get to see sunrise?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 01:15 AM   #22
spandeli
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320D M Sport Auto

I would recommend you Corfu, if you are after a Greek island, a really nice place to relax is Nissaki beach which is 40 mins away from Corfu town. Food is great hotel staff is awsome.

Another option you have if you are gonna go to Corfu, is to contact this english guy, Nathan, he runs a Holiday business there. I got to know him from the MR2 forums i used to be a memebr. He is very helpful as far as i know. They organised a meeting in Corfu UK MR2 owners a couple of months ago, and as far as ive heard they all had an excellent time.

http://www.agni.gr/guides/getting_ar...ing_around.asp this in Nathans website

these are a few pics taken during their meeting

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtop...59&hilit=corfu
Appreciate 0