E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 06 BMW 330 vs 03 Audi RS6 ??

View Poll Results: 330 vs RS6, what would you rather own
2006 BMW 330i 53 43.44%
2003 Audi RS6 69 56.56%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

02-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i sport

06 BMW 330 vs 03 Audi RS6 ??

Ive got a 2006 330, sport package, rwd with some really good all seasons (mich pilot sport plus) because it snows here occasionally, and its an auto. It has 42000 miles on it, and i really like the size and gas milage, but most of all the way it drives (handling and steering). BUT, to get any more power out of it, my only real options are to get an intake/exhaust, and that will get me maybe 15hp max. So, I looked at an 03 RS6, at first just for fun, but after driving it i loved it. It is SOOOO FAST. really. its FAST. And unlike some Audis, the steering had a good weight to it and was pretty communicative, though not quite like the bmw. The suspension was also very stable, and it did plow more then my car (50/50 vs 59/41) but it was pretty agile considering its size. It also had more room and fold down seats, plus the quattro for snow which are plusses for me. The milage was about 54,000. So, do you think its worth giving up some milage and 3 years to get an RS6 that drives ALMOST as well, and is MUCHHHHH faster and very fun to drive? Im a little worried about maintenance with the audi, especially without a warranty, but mine is up in 8000 miles anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Hope you own shell.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I get 17 with my 330 anyway, i have a heavy foot
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow homie

if you can afford the maintenance on the RS6 i would definitely get it. i dont really like the look of it, but who cares when it performs like that.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...amg/index.html

nice article on the RS6
      02-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah I know, the engine is really amazing. It has the torque band of the 335, but with a v8. The only reason im hesitant is that i love the way my car feels, the suspension and steering are perfectly tuned. Wish it could have the power of the RS6...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

I have nothing but good stuff to say about the RS series. The good thing was that there were only a 1000 imported into the US (from the article). BUT, body parts like the fenders will be incredibly rare, hard to get and it will also be fantastically expensive to maintain compared to the 330i (which prob costs you nothing).

You haven't talked much about your requirements or the budget so i cannot really recommend anything other than warn you about debt inducing servicing.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AV_330i View Post
Wish it could have the power of the RS6...
For all those limit-free autobahns in Virginia? That place sucks with cops. Even radar detectors are illegal there. Just playing man, the RS6 is nice. But if you are really looking for that power and can't give up the BMW experience, why not at M5?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
I have nothing but good stuff to say about the RS series. The good thing was that there were only a 1000 imported into the US (from the article). BUT, body parts like the fenders will be incredibly rare, hard to get and it will also be fantastically expensive to maintain compared to the 330i (which prob costs you nothing).

You haven't talked much about your requirements or the budget so i cannot really recommend anything other than warn you about debt inducing servicing.
Well the rs6 was listed at 27500 so im thinking i could get it to 24500 or 24000, especially with the econ how it is. I paid 23,000 for my 330 about 5 months ago and got a pretty good deal, so im hoping i could pretty much do an even trade (I might have to spend an extra 1000 or so depending on what i can get for my car and what i can get the rs6 to). In terms of maintenance on the 330, i have the warranty which i really like the security of, and also because i dont really have the money to pay for and of the $$$ maintenance problems that go along with german cars (Im still in school and dont have a job). I basically want a car that performs as well as possible while still looking decent and being practical enough to go skiing with (i have a rack on my 330) and take people in. Both seem to fit those parameters, which is why im having trouble deciding
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermesRider View Post
For all those limit-free autobahns in Virginia? That place sucks with cops. Even radar detectors are illegal there. Just playing man, the RS6 is nice. But if you are really looking for that power and can't give up the BMW experience, why not at M5?
Yeah i know tell me about it, wish i lived in germany 20min from the nurburgring. We have summit point nearby though, havent been there yet. I know i thought about that, but i actually dont like the steering of the e39 m5 because they had to use recirculating ball rather than rack and pinion, because it wouldnt fit in with the big v8, so it feels a little numb and disconnected. Also, embarrassingly, I havent gotten good enough at driving a manual to have one as an everyday driver, and the m5 only comes in manual (the e60 doesnt, but i cant come close to affording that)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
It is too expensive to buy.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

EDIT:I was not the unfortunate Owner of this (Very) Expensive RS6, just googled it and pasted the whole thing.

You know you want one. You can probably even afford one due to the monumental depreciation. But can you afford to run one?

Here are my experiences of 3 glorious years RS6 ownership. I hope you find it helpful.

I was lucky enough to have a successful business back in 2004 and decided to buy the car of my dreams - an RS6.

Actually, it hadn't quite worked out like that. I'd bought the new 4.2 Audi S4 and had so much trouble with it I'd left it on the dealers forecourt and written to Audi in Germany to reject the car. After many arguments they eventually agreed to give me the full purchase price of the S4 against the purchase of a new RS6.

£62,000 didn't seem much back then....

At the outset I decided to take advantage of the Audi Tyres, Service and Maintenance plan. A jolly good deal as it turns out. At an annual mileage agreement of 10,000 miles it cost just £60 per month.

I knew I would exceed 10k per year but the excess mileage wasn't too bad. I eventually did just over 43k in the 3 years and had to pay an extra £900. So my running costs (excluding fuel - we'll come to that) were 36x£60 = £2,160 plus the £900. Just over £3,000 or £1,000 per year!

But what would the real costs have been without the super maintenance plan? A damn site more.

In that time I had 4 sets of tyres fitted which would have cost approx £200 per tyre so that's about £3,200 (see, I said the maintenance plan was a steal)

Next we have servicing. I didn't know exactly how much they charged because I never saw the bills but I cannot imagine even the small services (10k and 30k) were much under £200 due to the expensive fully synthetic oil and the sheer amount of it required. The 20k service was a fairly big one and no doubt £300 ish but the 40k was a monster full day affair and had to be at least £300 so to be conservative we'll call it £1,000. And a bi-annual brake fluid change for another £100.

A particularly sore point with Audi maintenance was the cambelt change. I had the car booked in on its third birthday for two reasons. One was that the warranty expired on that day and the second was that the maintenance also ended. Boy did they argue the toss over the cambelt. First they tried to say it wasn't due until 60k. I had already got it in writing from Audi that it was 3 years - mileage irrelevant. Then they tried to say that I wasn't covered because I'd exceeded the maintenance mileage. I pointed out that since they were charging excess mileage they had to pay and that the mileage didn't matter - they would have had to pay even if I'd only done 50 miles!!

Cambelt prices varied according to where in the country you were but the 7.8 hour (or 5.6 depending on who you talk to) job will cost around £1,000.

Lets not forget brakes. Two sets of front discs, three (maybe four, I lost count) of front pads and one set of rear discs and two rear pads. The fronts are 8 piston calipers so imagine the size of them. I reckon on a full set of front and rear pads and discs costing a grand so lets be generous and say £2,500 for braking.

So a VERY conservative estimate for 3 years 45k miles running excluding fuel would be £7,500 or £2,500 per year. Fuel ran at about 25 to the gallon (so they say - I don't think I really ever saw much over 20) and we'll call a litre of super £1 (I know it isn't now) so that adds another £8000. £15,000 over 3 years - wow.

Don't forget insurance and the inevitible repair bills that a 4 or 5 year old 50k mile supercar will need.

Also ask a very important question of the seller - has the DRC been repaired. DRC stands for Dynamic Ride Control and is the fluid based system consisting of the shocks and valves which on a survey at RS246.com (great website for info about the pitfalls and joys) 77% of surveyed RS6 owners had suffered problems with. The system was a pain for inexperienced dealers to repair and regularly failed more than once. A 3k repair for a whole set. My car failed its first MOT on leaking NSF shocker.

Might be an idea to factor in £2,500 per year for an Audi extended warranty. There are others available but they are almost not worth the paper they are printed on due to the max claim limits compared to the vast cost of RS6 engines/auto boxes etc. £7.5k + a year to run a car; heavens.

So would I buy another one? F*CK yeah. Best car I have ever owned. Could I afford to run one now? Not a chance.

And Cut!
Hope you found it helpful, just convert the pounds into dollars and factor in inflation.I should also point out that Audi of America does not offer the maintenance plan he was harping on about.

Edit:Inflation irrelevant,this was posted in 08.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:

Last edited by blue2fire; 02-25-2009 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AV_330i View Post
Yeah i know tell me about it, wish i lived in germany 20min from the nurburgring. We have summit point nearby though, havent been there yet. I know i thought about that, but i actually dont like the steering of the e39 m5 because they had to use recirculating ball rather than rack and pinion, because it wouldnt fit in with the big v8, so it feels a little numb and disconnected. Also, embarrassingly, I havent gotten good enough at driving a manual to have one as an everyday driver, and the m5 only comes in manual (the e60 doesnt, but i cant come close to affording that)
Good point on the steering. I've not driven it, so didn't know that. I know there have been advances in the recirculating ball steering, but I wonder how much steering slop actually exists in the e39 m5. That e55 AMG I always thought was a real nice car too.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Elvv3uj8bkA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd 311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Elvv3uj8bkA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd 311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

There you go

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #14
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You know you want one. You can probably even afford one due to the monumental depreciation. But can you afford to run one?

Here are my experiences of 3 glorious years RS6 ownership. I hope you find it helpful.

I was lucky enough to have a successful business back in 2004 and decided to buy the car of my dreams - an RS6.

Actually, it hadn't quite worked out like that. I'd bought the new 4.2 Audi S4 and had so much trouble with it I'd left it on the dealers forecourt and written to Audi in Germany to reject the car. After many arguments they eventually agreed to give me the full purchase price of the S4 against the purchase of a new RS6.

£62,000 didn't seem much back then....

At the outset I decided to take advantage of the Audi Tyres, Service and Maintenance plan. A jolly good deal as it turns out. At an annual mileage agreement of 10,000 miles it cost just £60 per month.

I knew I would exceed 10k per year but the excess mileage wasn't too bad. I eventually did just over 43k in the 3 years and had to pay an extra £900. So my running costs (excluding fuel - we'll come to that) were 36x£60 = £2,160 plus the £900. Just over £3,000 or £1,000 per year!

But what would the real costs have been without the super maintenance plan? A damn site more.

In that time I had 4 sets of tyres fitted which would have cost approx £200 per tyre so that's about £3,200 (see, I said the maintenance plan was a steal)

Next we have servicing. I didn't know exactly how much they charged because I never saw the bills but I cannot imagine even the small services (10k and 30k) were much under £200 due to the expensive fully synthetic oil and the sheer amount of it required. The 20k service was a fairly big one and no doubt £300 ish but the 40k was a monster full day affair and had to be at least £300 so to be conservative we'll call it £1,000. And a bi-annual brake fluid change for another £100.

A particularly sore point with Audi maintenance was the cambelt change. I had the car booked in on its third birthday for two reasons. One was that the warranty expired on that day and the second was that the maintenance also ended. Boy did they argue the toss over the cambelt. First they tried to say it wasn't due until 60k. I had already got it in writing from Audi that it was 3 years - mileage irrelevant. Then they tried to say that I wasn't covered because I'd exceeded the maintenance mileage. I pointed out that since they were charging excess mileage they had to pay and that the mileage didn't matter - they would have had to pay even if I'd only done 50 miles!!

Cambelt prices varied according to where in the country you were but the 7.8 hour (or 5.6 depending on who you talk to) job will cost around £1,000.

Lets not forget brakes. Two sets of front discs, three (maybe four, I lost count) of front pads and one set of rear discs and two rear pads. The fronts are 8 piston calipers so imagine the size of them. I reckon on a full set of front and rear pads and discs costing a grand so lets be generous and say £2,500 for braking.

So a VERY conservative estimate for 3 years 45k miles running excluding fuel would be £7,500 or £2,500 per year. Fuel ran at about 25 to the gallon (so they say - I don't think I really ever saw much over 20) and we'll call a litre of super £1 (I know it isn't now) so that adds another £8000. £15,000 over 3 years - wow.

Don't forget insurance and the inevitible repair bills that a 4 or 5 year old 50k mile supercar will need.

Also ask a very important question of the seller - has the DRC been repaired. DRC stands for Dynamic Ride Control and is the fluid based system consisting of the shocks and valves which on a survey at RS246.com (great website for info about the pitfalls and joys) 77% of surveyed RS6 owners had suffered problems with. The system was a pain for inexperienced dealers to repair and regularly failed more than once. A 3k repair for a whole set. My car failed its first MOT on leaking NSF shocker.

Might be an idea to factor in £2,500 per year for an Audi extended warranty. There are others available but they are almost not worth the paper they are printed on due to the max claim limits compared to the vast cost of RS6 engines/auto boxes etc. £7.5k + a year to run a car; heavens.

So would I buy another one? F*CK yeah. Best car I have ever owned. Could I afford to run one now? Not a chance.

And Cut!
Hope you found it helpful, just convert the pounds into dollars and factor in inflation.I should also point out that Audi of America does not offer the maintenance plan he was harping on about.

Edit:Inflation irrelevant,this was posted in 08.
Wow thanks so much, that helps a lot. Didnt know you had an rs6, good to hear first hand what the experience was like. Well, considering I dont even have a job to support the car, which it sounds like you did, its sounding like I might not be able to afford to maintain it. I was assuming that I could maybe get 20,000 miles out of it without anything going wrong, apparently not? I realize the gas would be expensive (I had an x5 4.4i) but other than that I was assuming it would be pretty good on everything else, assuming it had the 50k service done to it. And i have heard about the drc malfunction, as well as tranny and torque converter problems, so if i was to buy the car it would be better if one or all of these had been replaced, and therefore newer, right? And you think it would be worth while to get an extended warranty on the car? I think if i was to get one with such high milage, i wouldnt really keep it past 70k, i usually get the urge for a new car anyway. While you had your RS6, did you think it felt ponderous on tight windy roads, compared to the 330 you have now? I didnt get to really go on anything but straight roads on my drive, but it felt like it could plow a little too much (the s4 i test drove before i got the 330 definitely exhibited that). I dont know now i feel like it could be a gamble, because I love the car and would probably get it, but from your experience it sounds like problems are inevitable (which means i wont even have the car to drive, itll be in the shop) So are you saying you preferred the RS6 over the 330 as a car, but prefer the 330's cost of ownership?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

LOL
I did not write that. Just did some Sherlock Holmsing on the interweb.Sorry if that huge post gave you the wrong impression but you could look at the Vid that i posted to see if that solves your question.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #16
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good point on the steering. I've not driven it, so didn't know that. I know there have been advances in the recirculating ball steering, but I wonder how much steering slop actually exists in the e39 m5. That e55 AMG I always thought was a real nice car too.
Yeah the old 540 had it too. My dad had a 540 and my mom had a 530, and he always preferred her car because of the steering. I like the power of the e55 but im assuming it would have the typical spongy breaks and mushy steering of mercedes, havent driven it so i wouldnt know but thats just what ive heard. I was really surpirsed how well the audi drove it reminded me a lot of a BMW, but just a little more blunt and less accurate
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #17
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL
I did not write that. Just did some Sherlock Holmsing on the interweb.Sorry if that huge post gave you the wrong impression but you could look at the Vid that i posted to see if that solves your question.
Oh haha its cool, i thought it was a little improbable you had an rs6 and now have a 330. Yeah ive seen that top gear before, definitely makes me want to get the audi even more, i just dont want to be screwed
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #18
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There you go
Makes me want the AMG even more I saw a black one take off WOT on the high way years ago and fell in love!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Makes me want the AMG even more I saw a black one take off WOT on the high way years ago and fell in love!
I swear i was just about to reply to the OP's post saying that the video actually makes me want the E55.
It is just so mad and i adore it for it's lunacy.Pity i will have to wait a bit though.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #20
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Haha its damn fast. Too bad its more expensive, and i dont think it looks as good, but thats just me
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 01:09 AM   #21
Wake27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i ZPP ZSP

Too many long posts here for me to read so idk if it was suggested, but you could get an LSD and gear ratio change. That'll give 40 or more hp from what I've been reading, depending on the ratio you choose.
2006 JB 330i/ZPP/ZSP/I-Drive/Heated Seats/L7/Blacklines/19" Gunmetal V710's on Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas/BMS PBX/Red MFD Scoops/Matte black grilles/Matte black Amber Gone 2.0s/BSW center midrange speaker/35% tint/Black and white roundels
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #22
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
Too many long posts here for me to read so idk if it was suggested, but you could get an LSD and gear ratio change. That'll give 40 or more hp from what I've been reading, depending on the ratio you choose.
Wouldnt that mess with the gas milage, transmission, engine, etc etc. It seems like it would be really dangerous to the car? Is there a forum somewhere where someone has done this allready?
Appreciate 0