E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > BMw Battery Replacement - BS re-register?!?

08-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #23
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
There's two issues with batteries here, let's clarify:

Firstly, the battery doesn't start charging until the car reaches optimal operating temperature. This is to reduce strain on the engine, and therefore emissions when the engine is cold as that's when the emissions are at their highest.
This can pose a problem for those that do frequent short journeys. Especially in the older style batteries, i.e the non-AGM batteries (found in the E8X/E9X platform).
If you take the car for a long drive the issue is likely to go away for a bit... but in the OP's case iirc you drove from Melb to Newcastle and if you're getting the warning two days later then your battery is stuffed.
Recently people have switched to AGM batteries as they are better suited to short trips and BMW have started using AGM batteries in some cars.
There is a software flash/update going around that tells the car to start charging the battery as soon as ignition is switched on.

Secondly, regardless of the battery you put in, it needs to be coded to the car so the car knows when to stop charging... by constantly charging the battery it significantly reduces the lifespan of the battery.
Hence some members complaining their replacement battery only lasted 3-6months and in rare events, exploded.

You do not need to have it coded by a dealer, you can DIY coding with the correct cable or an indie will look after you.

When choosing a battery just make sure the CCA is equal to or greater than what you currently have.

Goodluck.
Once again thanks for sharing your knowledge!!

Well I might call my local dealer and explain that the car is still under premium warranty/servicing package and whilst the warranty doesn't cover battery replacement will they code the car as warranty
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #24
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
I'm keen to have a chat with you regarding tuning, are you open weekends at all Pete?

How urgent is it to re-code it can I drive it for a week or so before it gets re-coded? (I have another car to drive so its no biggie to have the 335i in the shed for a week or so)
All good Advan is open on Saturdays from 9.30 am - 2.30 pm you are welcome to pop in any time.
Your battery should be done asap if it was your daley. Give me a ring for a heads up.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:09 AM   #25
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
All good Advan is open on Saturdays from 9.30 am - 2.30 pm you are welcome to pop in any time.
Your battery should be done asap if it was your daley. Give me a ring for a heads up.
Ok thanks! I will contact the local stealer and see if they will code it under the premium service contract the vehicle is still under, if not I will arrange to drive down next sat to see you. Either way I shall let you know, and eventually I shall get down to Advan!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #26
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Ok thanks! I will contact the local stealer and see if they will code it under the premium service contract the vehicle is still under, if not I will arrange to drive down next sat to see you. Either way I shall let you know, and eventually I shall get down to Advan!
Just make sure you give the old fella time to wake up otherwise he gets a bit grumpy
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #27
BMWGTR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
nah its inherrent with all verts. BMW design them that way, they figure if your silly enough to drive with the top down then they put all the reject parts in and you wont be smart enough to realise your paying more on maintenance. sad but true
lol.
Come on povo.
We all know you'd get one too, if your wife allowed it. Summer is around the corner, ask her for permission brah?
Appreciate 0