E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MMW Supercharger Update

12-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #89
jwise36
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 328i X drive

it is now today. update? :/
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #90
berserkerx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I actually would want a roots/twin screw if I supercharged. ESS had a twin screw for the old M54 engine. I like the response of a twin screw better
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #91
capo1m
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1M, M4

update!!!!
      12-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #92
jwise36
Second Lieutenant
Rep

it is now the day after today (tomorrow)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #93
iczz
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 / F10 / F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwise36 View Post
it is now the day after today (tomorrow)
well, still today in Californoa.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 02:12 AM   #94
e92mac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i coupe 2010

Thumbs up

Can't wait for this project to be done! If its a good kit for a good price I bet many wil jump in, including myself. If it's good work with great performance ,is worth the wait..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #95
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Ok guys:

Tuning is handled, we got it all to work with a specially designed piggy back computer that is easy to install and works in tandem with the OEM ECU, so resale is a 100% possibility, and install is much easier and there is no need to flash the car any more!

And the best news, the car is holding 7.5psi of boost with our system. Out of a Vortech V3.

We will offer this in stages, so stage 1 will be entry level with nice power, but no air to water cooling. Stage 2 gets the air to water system and can add methanol also - but it is not required to run meth if you do not want too. Car will still use 91 octane fuel, nothing more is needed. Those who can get 93+ pump gas, are just lucky and can use it if they wish

As we continue testing and reading the car, we will start to do on road testing in the next few weeks with a couple runs to las Vegas and back as well as up the mountains out here, to see if any further tweaking is needed from out in shop tests, to the real world usage.

Stage 2 pricing will be under $8k, with the stage one still below that. (Can't mention exact pricing in this thread, but just as.a rough idea)

We hope to have pictures and video of the retail application within 2-4 weeks! And will be ready with a kit by the end of January, let me know what you guys think.

I know its been a long road, but I feel we have tackled this as clean and efficiently as possible, with no complicated install guides or splicing wires left and right. This is clean, simple, and safe. All the things we set out to accomplish, we have.

N52 love
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #96
jwise36
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
Ok guys:

Tuning is handled, we got it all to work with a specially designed piggy back computer that is easy to install and works in tandem with the OEM ECU, so resale is a 100% possibility, and install is much easier and there is no need to flash the car any more!

And the best news, the car is holding 7.5psi of boost with our system. Out of a Vortech V3.

We will offer this in stages, so stage 1 will be entry level with nice power, but no air to water cooling. Stage 2 gets the air to water system and can add methanol also - but it is not required to run meth if you do not want too. Car will still use 91 octane fuel, nothing more is needed. Those who can get 93+ pump gas, are just lucky and can use it if they wish

As we continue testing and reading the car, we will start to do on road testing in the next few weeks with a couple runs to las Vegas and back as well as up the mountains out here, to see if any further tweaking is needed from out in shop tests, to the real world usage.

Stage 2 pricing will be under $8k, with the stage one still below that. (Can't mention exact pricing in this thread, but just as.a rough idea)

We hope to have pictures and video of the retail application within 2-4 weeks! And will be ready with a kit by the end of January, let me know what you guys think.

I know its been a long road, but I feel we have tackled this as clean and efficiently as possible, with no complicated install guides or splicing wires left and right. This is clean, simple, and safe. All the things we set out to accomplish, we have.

N52 love

Pics or it didnt happen
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #97
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
Gavin obviously can chime in and tell better, but I'm pretty sure the supercharger feeds into the throttle body on whichever engine its on, meaning the OEM manifold is retained.

This would mean the 3stage manifold would still exist. Not sure if it would matter with FI.

But yes the underlying engine is the same and software is most likely the same between the two so the only difference would be the three stage manifold, and that actually may be bad for power when it is being fed pressurized air. Only one way to know.
I think i got turbocharger and supercharger mixed up yesterday somehow... though, i don't know if the 3-stage intake will be able to handle the 7.5psi Gavin is compressing into the engine... ?

@Gavin... if i wanted to get the most out of the supercharger, what else could i do in additional parts to increase the compression ratio? I.e. higher flow fuel injectors w/ more boost(smaller pulley) and timing control, methanol w/ water injectors, etc.? Bigger bore throttle body (like the Dinan TB)? What else did you tune besides ECU and Spark Plug gap?

and i know you guys have only had the product running for a day, but i'm still curious to know about how the Automatic Transmissions will handle the horsepower/torque increase? Would a performance torque converter solve the problem you think?
And is your car a manual?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #98
C ///M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 M3 & '07 X3 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Yes we did - We have some more information coming up tomorrow.

All I can say now is that the headers are in the car and a totally new system has been designed for supercharging. No oil lines to deal with, and install will be a breeze. also bringing in Air to water cooling, which is always fun.

Better update tomorrow with some images and such
"Images and such..." Come on bud, give us something! The info is great, but you know what they say, an image is worth a thousand words.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #99
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI

Well even though this took awhile, a lot of people are probably running out of warranty which will be nice
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #100
T7R_Sky
"I know you know that I know you know..."
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E90 328i

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok guys:

N52 love
This is awesome news! So everything should basically be the same for the N51 also right? Same basic engine but it has the 3 stage manifold (in most cases) and a lower compression ratio. I can imagine the tuning must be different but other than that the components should be the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #101
Mark06
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Ok guys:

N52 love
Cant wait for pics!
      12-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #102
jwise36
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok guys:

N52 love
hey gavin, just wondering, what sets your setup apart from the ARMA kit with respect to reliability and performance?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #103
trance323i
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwise36 View Post
Quote:
Ok guys:

We will offer this in stages, so stage 1 will be entry level with nice power, but no air to water cooling. Stage 2 gets the air to water system and can add methanol also - but it is not required to run meth if you do not want too. Car will still use 91 octane fuel, nothing more is needed. Those who can get 93 pump gas, are just lucky and can use it if they wish

N52 love
hey gavin, just wondering, what sets your setup apart from the ARMA kit with respect to reliability and performance?

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #104
berserkerx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

While this is cool news that the supercharger is up and running I don't know how the other people feel but I would be much more interested in hearing about the headers. Reason being is that I along with others have already put our hard earned money toward that.

Dont think I am being a naysayer or that I don't like the idea of supercharging the N52. But for that price I will go trade in my 330i for a 335i and save 3k for upgrades for that.

Looking forward to the pictures and seeing how the engine and transmission holds up regardless.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #105
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Yes we did - We have some more information coming up tomorrow.

All I can say now is that the headers are in the car and a totally new system has been designed for supercharging. No oil lines to deal with, and install will be a breeze. also bringing in Air to water cooling, which is always fun.

Better update tomorrow with some images and such
Wow.. once again NO PICS as promised. Dude I don't believe a damn thing you say anymore. The only reason I can see why you haven't posted any pics.. is because there isn't anything to take pictures of. Why can't you just post some development pics or an engine bay shot with the supercharger installed? Hell, even a picture of the supercharger you are supposedly using would be better than nothing. It's not like you are developing a top secret stealth bomber that would give enemies an advantage if they saw it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #106
C ///M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 M3 & '07 X3 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Wow.. once again NO PICS as promised. Dude I don't believe a damn thing you say anymore.
Ok, seriously you need to relax. He's not going to lie about this stuff. If he's anything like me, he just isn't the picture-taking type of guy. Or maybe things aren't quite as cleaned up as he'd like for pictures. Does this take away from the project, no, but he probably wants to show a closer-to-retail setup to eliminate unnecessary questions.

I already brought up the pictures question, no need to make this a bigger deal than it really is.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #107
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Wow.. once again NO PICS as promised. Dude I don't believe a damn thing you say anymore. The only reason I can see why you haven't posted any pics.. is because there isn't anything to take pictures of. Why can't you just post some development pics or an engine bay shot with the supercharger installed? Hell, even a picture of the supercharger you are supposedly using would be better than nothing. It's not like you are developing a top secret stealth bomber that would give enemies an advantage if they saw it.
wow... you're just a generally pessimistic one aren't ya...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #108
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

I saw photos of the supercharger the day the header photos were released. It is very real and has been being tested for months. Benzo can chime in.

But wow this forum is a hostile ass place. You guys will just attack everyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #109
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
I respect the project, but this kit will be a very niche market. Even the new N20 has more potential than our i6's. The only people who will get this are those who have the money and want a unique N52, or people who buy a heavily used N52 for cheap and then SC it.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing - this kit should come out, but for most people, it's not worth the cost.
      12-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #110
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
I respect the project, but this kit will be a very niche market. Even the new N20 has more potential than our i6's. The only people who will get this are those who have the money and want a unique N52, or people who buy a heavily used N52 for cheap and then SC it.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing - this kit should come out, but for most people, it's not worth the cost.
I agree. The price point is way outrageous. I understand the R&D costs and everything but you cannot justify spending over 8000 dollars on this. I Dont understand why a company wouldn't price it at say 1500 sell a ton of volume and in the end sell more units and possibly make more money. Obviously the 1500 is just a number Im tossing around, but for 8000 I would buy a low mileage 335, do a bunch to it and still have some cheese left over.

I can tell you right now I will not be buying this. It will be cool to see but not financially going to happen.

I bet most of the people being trolls on this thread as well as complaining also will not be buying it. They will be the same people saying "why didn't you just buy a 335?"
Appreciate 0